Radio Control Flying models...

Forum for sharing info and photos related to aircraft models from around the world.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Radio Control Flying models...

Post by ConnieMan »

I like to start this thread for the members on here who would like to get familiar with RC flying models and all about them. This is not for young in heart folks as these model airplanes fly just like the real ones with the exception of there smaller size and we can't sit and fly in them. These planes use actual nitro liquid fuel and live small engines that turn at thousands of RPMs!!. These will crash and could cause harm if not handled with safety and right attitude towards them.
(THEY ARE NOT TOYS!!!)

First i will start with trainers aircrafts then go into more scale models. You will see the difference between them and will understand why i asked Mohsin not to get scale cool looking model as first airplane.

All the aerodynamics are same on these as on real ones. For the most part wing design on an aircraft has a lot to with the flying capabilities and performance of that aircraft, that means types of airfoils used on them as there many many different types of airfoils out there, all have there benefits to the requirements needed for particular application.

For most of the trainers in RC models flat airfoil or semi-symmetrical is used with lots of dihedral built into the wing and also wash out at the trailing edge tips of the wings. With flat airfoil wing, it gives an airplane tons of lift and very less aspect of stalling easily, plus with lots of dihedral it helps in flying stable and smooth. Trainer aircrafts have straight wings with big wingspans as 60" to 80" with wide chords, this helps in orientation for newbies getting into rc flying plus trainers fly at slower speeds also.

When you are learning you need a lot time to react if you make mistake, with these flat airfoil wing models you get that time to correct your mistake without stalling or losing control right off the back. Plus dihedral also helps aircraft to correct itself while flying. On the other end scale models are designed and built from actual factory drawings and 3 views of real aircraft and uses scale airfoils, this means you have to know how to fly and control the model as if you made an error, you have split second to react and you better know what to do or your model will crash and get destroyed instantly!!

You can chose variety of 2 stoke and 4 stoke engines of many different brands out there, good ones are OS, Thunder Tiger, Super Tiger, ASP. Depending size of your trainer airplane you can go with .40sz and up to .60sz of engines.

Now days you can buy 90% already built models from local hobby shops and with in few hours of final assembly your model is ready for flight, these are also known as ARF models, mind you some are of very good and high quality but others are very very inferior as the case is with Vmar models, Stay away from them!, they are cheap to buy but cheap enough that there wings fold while flying them!!

As for controls, all you need is basic 4 channel controller system that has TX= Transmitter, RX= Receiver, 4 standard servos, RX battery pack and a switch that goes in the model to turn it's electrical power on or off.
For this Futaba has good systems, JR also are good brand and now days Hitec is also very comparative specially on flight packs.

You will also need to buy field box to start and do field maintenance once you are at flying field. This includes 12V Starter, 12V Battery pack, Fuel bottle, Refueling pump manual or electronic, screw drivers, spare glow plugs and anything extra you may want to carry with you at the field so you don't have run back home once at the field.

Now when you get your model all ready for flying with engine and electronics all installed there is something very very important that is a MUST for all types of airplanes including real ones!!, it's call CG balance!

CG stands for "center of gravity" and is needed for any plane to actually fly!, if you didn't do this balance then your flight will be mere couple of seconds and model will crash, when aircraft is designed CG is determined on it's wing's design. You have to add weight according to this CG point to keep the airplane balanced in air by itself. So to do that either you have add weight in the nose or in the tail but nose heavy airplane is far far better then tail heavy plane. You can always fly nose heavy plane but you CAN'T fly tail heavy plane as it will stall on takeoff and crash right away, plus when you balance the model it's done without fuel in it as fuel adds weight to the model and when engine is running, fuel is burning and weight is shifting from heavy to light all the way to none at all!, so this is why we do this CG balance without fuel in the model aircraft so if and when airplane while flying runs out of fuel and engine quits, it can glide back to the runway for safe landing.

I will add more to it at later time as it's 240AM here and time to hit the sack..hehe :sleeping: :sleeping:
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

thx for the introduction to this hobby! i was looking at TowerHobbies and they got pretty good RTF Nitro Trainers at good prices, will post their links here soon!
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

PIA10141 wrote:thx for the introduction to this hobby! i was looking at TowerHobbies and they got pretty good RTF Nitro Trainers at good prices, will post their links here soon!
Stay home and help our economy by ordering it from www.greathobbies.com
They have the best prices on all hobby needs and most LHS around match there prices also.
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

since i'm new to this stuff, can u plz post some good RTF/ARF Nitro trainers for mee... :oops: .. lol.. i kinda like the NEXStar RTF SuperStar... is it anygood from ur experience... because everywhere it says its the best notro rainer...
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

thinking of starting off with this... looks like a good starter...
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... 2A%2A&P=ML

Copy the whole link and paste it in ur IE
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Buy it from Great hobbies, it's better as they will give you 10% discount also.

I prefer you get Hobbico Nexstar, it's newer generation model with semi-symmetrical wing, plus it has removable LE slats too that help in preventing tip stalling and gain more lift for new pilots. It also comes with auto-leveler/Co-pilot but i would highly recommend to take it out as it doesn't helps you learn to fully control the model and takes away from the feel of it.

Where about in TO do you live, depending on area i can suggest you to it's local rc flying club and you can join it, they will guide you all the way to become good pilot. You will also have to buy flight box also, this i can find for you as you don't need newer one as used ones with everything you need are available for fairly good prices. You will also have to join MAAC to fly your model airplane, it's the insurance you have to have to cover yourself.

Once you learn basic flying on Nexstar, you can take out LE slats and fly it with more performance and do loops and rolls also, you will really like this trainer and enjoy it, plus replacements parts are all available and are at good prices.

I used to recommend and sell Super Star like 12 years ago to newbies back then, it's an old design model, plus it had box fuselage vs round one on Nexstar...

Hope this helps for now.. :wink:
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

I'm at Kennedy and Eglinton! Yea i also like the nexstar, it looks and feels much better as some ppl have told me!
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

PIA10141 wrote:I'm at Kennedy and Eglinton! Yea i also like the nexstar, it looks and feels much better as some ppl have told me!
So RC flying club of Toronto is best for you. It's in Markham also, i have never been there but i have heard that guys with 50CC to 150CC and jets with turbine models fly there as it's big field...

http://www.rcfctoronto.ca/

Nexstar also looks closer to Cessna's also to some aspect :wink:
You have more benefits out of Nexstar vs other old style trainers out there..
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

nice, can i pay them a random visit?
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Wait till April and then go there, i don't know if members there fly in the winter or not. Most of the clubs closes for winter season, some are open.
Call there president up from website and ask him for details you may have.
Dards
Registered Member

Re: Radio Control Flying models...

Post by Dards »

Some information on the flying aircraft modelling hobby in Pakistan.

Radio Control Flying Models are quite popular in Pakistan. There are at least four very established clubs in major cities of Pakistan. (Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad and Rawalpindi). As for hobby shops that are selling flying models, Hobby Lobby Lahore is by far the largest, Art-Tec hobbies in Rawalpindi also has a large collection of model airplane and helicopter kits. Xtreme Machines (Lahore) has recently developed a very scale flying model of new of German aerobatic plane called SBACH. They have recently started exporting to US and other countries.

If you are interested in this hobby do check out http://www.rcpak.com. Hopefully you will find the website useful and full of information on aeromodelling hobby in Pakistan.

Hope you find this useful.
It's not the fall that kills you, but the sudden stop.