PIA or PAF's 11 foot WS C130's RC model's build thread!!!

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
yousaf465
Registered Member

Re: PIA or PAF's 11 foot WS C130's RC model's build thread!!!

Post by yousaf465 »

ConnieMan wrote:I am currently taking time off from working on this model due to what just happened plus my father is going for neck surgery on Wednesday morning. I will get back on this massive project in 1-1/2 to 2 weeks time frame, hopefully with fresh mind and re-start.

Options under consideration are to make one piece newer stabilizer with added spar in the middle to pick up proper weight and stresses OR make plug-in type of stabilizer with removable wing panels that would be installed with wing tube and tied up with blind nuts and bolts to the root ribs. This option will allow easier transportation of this model to the event's and flying fields...

I think this break hopefully give you a free mind. Also best of Luck to your father for the surgery.
VirtualPIA
Registered Member

Post by VirtualPIA »

Connieman, I find this quote helps me out when I am down;

' The airplane always takes off against the wind, not with it'

(unknown)

and

“Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.”

MashAllah you are an inspiration to us all. Your dedication and enthusiasm speak for themselves.

InshAllah, you will do just fine with the project. I also wish your father a speedy recovery. And we wish to see the C-130 in PAF colours dominate the skies in Canada.

Keep it up!!!!
The angle of arrival is inversely proportional to the probability of survival.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

VirtualPIA wrote:Connieman, I find this quote helps me out when I am down;

(unknown)

and

“Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.”

MashAllah you are an inspiration to us all. Your dedication and enthusiasm speak for themselves.

InshAllah, you will do just fine with the project. I also wish your father a speedy recovery. And we wish to see the C-130 in PAF colours dominate the skies in Canada.

Keep it up!!!!
VirtualPIA thanks for such sweet and kind words for my project. It's you who have changed my mind from doing EC-130H of USAF initially to PAF's C 130 "64144" that was in RAIT airshow with specially painted tail and decals applied to it.

It's this phrase that changed my mind "And we wish to see the C-130 in PAF colours dominate the skies in Canada".

It all makes sense, why can't we replicate our own country's aircraft and promote our PAF vs any other airforce scheme/livery!

Thank you i appreciated and take these as compliments for my project!...

Lets see how it goes for my father after the surgery, my family physician said he will be in rehab for atleast 2 months!!
yousaf465
Registered Member

Post by yousaf465 »

ConnieMan wrote:
VirtualPIA wrote:Connieman, I find this quote helps me out when I am down;

(unknown)

and

Keep it up!!!!
VirtualPIA thanks for such sweet and kind words for my project. It's you who have changed my mind from doing EC-130H of USAF initially to PAF's C 130 "64144" that was in RAIT airshow with specially painted tail and decals applied to it.

It's this phrase that changed my mind "And we wish to see the C-130 in PAF colours dominate the skies in Canada".

It all makes sense, why can't we replicate our own country's aircraft and promote our PAF vs any other airforce scheme/livery!

Thank you i appreciated and take these as compliments for my project!...

Lets see how it goes for my father after the surgery, my family physician said he will be in rehab for atleast 2 months!!
Yes I was also talking about this tail PAF's C 130 "64144
VirtualPIA
Registered Member

Post by VirtualPIA »

Connieman,

thankyou for kindly accepting and acknowledging my sentiments.

it will be amazing to see this bird in PAF colours, especially the tail scheme which won the RIAT exhibition.

it will be great to see a bit of Pakistan - and that too of our pride, Pakistan Air Force, in the skies above Canada.

InshAllah I hope to see the set of pictures where she is out of the hangar and preparing for flight!

May Allah help your dad on his way to recovery and keep him, and all of us in the best of health, Ameen.
I remember when my dad underwent heart surgery - bypass - for the 2nd time; it was painful, the time that followed had a lot of changes, but Alhamdulillah he is doing fine now.

take care Connieman, and we are waiting anxiously for the first flight!!!
The angle of arrival is inversely proportional to the probability of survival.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Ok can't wait no longer anymore, more i see it sitting in this condition more it hurts me!. So decided to start taking it apart in sections. First comes off the fin (Talk about lack of glue and proper joints missing!!), then took off cap sheeting form Stabilizer box area to see inside of the stab box. So far all looks good in there.

To take the fin off, all i did was to cut along the base of dorsal fin on both sides with x-acto, cut 2 small rear spar joints in the stab box, wiggled the fin and WOULAA it came right out!!! , oh oh, had to unscrew the set screw also for the rudder torque rod!! ......

Before i forget to mention, skin on the stab that came off is 1/16" vs 3/32" as it's suppose to be according to designer...

http://img510.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture503.jpg
Last edited by ConnieMan on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

After taking the rudder out, it turned out that it's warped at the top end. Fin also has a twist and warp in it, i had this suspicion but now it's all obvious it's not usable unless fixed or newer one is made...

http://img267.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture510.jpg

Plus warped and twisted fin by itself...

http://img510.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture514t.jpg

This whole fin removal process took 4 hours to do properly and very carefully...
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Here is what i found in another thread about reducing weight of the foam core parts. Foam cores can also have lightening holes cut in them to save the weight. According to the modeler cutting lightening holes in his his wing cores of Extra stated that "It's the skin that gives all the strength..!". I suppose i will be in safe zone marking and cutting these on my OB wing cores, stabilizer panels and fin core...

http://img109.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=f ... build2.jpg
Last edited by ConnieMan on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Tonite i started to see if i can fix the twist and warp in the fin.

I am using the ole steaming trick and applied weight for this step.

I steamed top of the fin to 1/3rd span, when it all got moist and loose, then i placed it under weights at specific locations to add weight at right areas. Presently its under weight and drying. This added weight will is putting pressure on the frame's specific locations and will hopefully fix the twist and warp once it's cooled. Let see what the outcome will be, i will repeat this process till i get the results i need, that is if i could achieve them!.

Note: Before i placed the fin for the steaming, i took off all the old sheet skin form both sides of the frame, this allowed steam to moist actual frame and not just the top skin.

Pictures will be posted soon.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

looks like i got satisfactory results, i have placed fin on it's base for the night, let see if it hold this new position till morning.

First set of pictures are of the steaming process and then i will post results.

http://img339.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture519m.jpg
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Now the results. Do compare these pictures with ones from yesterday to see the fix accurately.

http://img130.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture524.jpg
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Today is another big day for this model...

After spending 2hrs inspecting how stabilizer was mounted and how to take it off, i went in and made my way around the mounts with my x-acto and took out the stabilizer nice and cleanly!. Only one stringer needed to be cut as it goes through the center of the stabilizer box into the tailcone and then the servo wires...

Before i did this die-section, i took out the elevators and tip ends, only part so far that like from original build is the way elevators were held by screw and nuts as HD hinge pins.....

http://img38.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture539t.jpg
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Once the stabilizer and fin are off from the fuselage, airplane doesn't look that BIG anymore!!. I moved the table with fuselage on the corner without any fitting problems!!..... :-s :-s

http://img137.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture546.jpg
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

It would be great if guys watching this rebuild/build thread to post feedback on constant bases, if anyone have any questions regarding what i'm doing and why in terms of process and steps taken, plz feel free to ask. This is why i'm doing this thread so i can share my knowledge with you and may get tips from you guys also.... :)
yousaf465
Registered Member

Post by yousaf465 »

The work is going great =D> I think this thread can be a source for http://www.instructables.com/