JFK-MAN Trip Report w/ photos! Lots of Pics!!

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
fly1346
Registered Member

JFK-MAN Trip Report w/ photos! Lots of Pics!!

Post by fly1346 »

Sallam guys, I just got back from an awesome trip to Pakistan. Visited family, and had a great time visitng Lahore, Islamabad, Muree, Ayubia, and ofcourse enjoying all the McDonalds. (you dont know how lucky you guys are to have halal McDonalds near you.)

Anyway, my experience on PIA was awesome. I flew both ways in Econ+ and I greatly appreciated their service. I will post these reports in segments along with the photos that correspond to the segment.

May. 19. 2007
JFK-MAN
PK712
Boeing 777-300ER
AP-BHW Lahore Garden of the Mughals

My university had finished, I had taken my final exams and moved back home. In a few days I would be off to pakistan on PIA. I couldnt wait. When the day came, there was final packing to complete, and all the 'getting ready' to do. I was flying alone as my dad had already left to pakistan 2 weeks before me. He decided to go before Peak season (to save $ on his ticket!)

Around 4:30 I left my house for JFK airport which is only a 10 minute drive from home. We had a 9:05 departure, but I was anxious to get their early for my upgrade. 4 hours early proved to be quite some time, as I later learned. Upon heading for chek-in I saw there was no line, thus no wait. I headed straight to the first economy counter. A pleasant young man maybe a few years older than me (I'm 19) chekced me in. 46L was my seat, and since he said it was an empty flight, he locked the 2 seats next to me, thus I could stretch out. Furthermore, my luggage 2 bags were overweight by 2-3 kilos a piece. He said there was no problem, and that I was good to go. At JFK, you have to take the luggage to the TSA screeners, and they check it in for you. After clearing the baggages, I was just standing around talking to my mom and brother. It was only 5PM, and the PIA counter was still quite empty. Suddenly a TSA security comes running up to me and asked me to see my ticket. SHe then said my hand carry was too big, and that I would have to place it as checked baggage, and could get it in lahore. She gave me the special tag with it. I was kind of relieved, because something less to carry around during my wait, and transit in Manchester.
After saying goodbye to my mom and brother, I proceeded to the PIA counter on the side to ask about an Economy+ upgrade. They said there were plent of seats available. An upgrade was $90 USD. They printed my reciept and told me to check in again to obtain my new seat. This time around I was able to check in at the Buisness+ counter. The check in lady gave me my new seat 25A. She told me that out of 54 seats in Econ+ only 14 were taken. Thus she also locked the 2 seats next to me so that I would have the comfort of stretching out. The check-in staff was quite nice to me for this.
I had still had quite some time to kill at JFK. Walking around browsing shops, calling friends, and sisters lol, I decided to enter the Swiss Lounge which PIA uses also. It was $30 for a pass. When I got in, there was unlimited drinks, snacks, and a restaurant style service, internet acess, and a great view of the tarmac. I got some nuts, and soda and watched the tarmac activity, later on I browsed the internet, checking email etc.

The lounge was great, but quite empty. I enjoyed the snacks and fruit along with the warm mixed nuts. At around 7:45, announcment was made for PIA boarding. They would start promptly at 8. I headed towards the security check in, where ticketed passengers enter from.

Checking was fairly quick and basic. Shoes off, wallet, and anything else in pocket into a bucket and through the machine you walk. Gate B22 was the first gate closest to the security check. Upon getting there I got to see all the PIA passengers sitting waiting for the flight. Not a full flight I thought, as the kids are still in school, less people travelling.

I admired the beautiful 773, there was a african american TSA security sitting eating, I asked if I could take a pic of the plane I would be on. He said sure go ahead. I snapped a quick shot of the huge boeing.

At approximately 8PM they started boarding. Everyone got up at once, knowing pakistanis, not being able to form one line. What I didnt like was that they did not have a special boarding call for Buisness+ and Econ+ passengers. Walking through the walkway to the jetway, I was very anxious and excited to get to my seat, being able to fly the 773. Something I waited months for. A nice flight attendent welcomed me on board and directed me towards my seat. Passengers were filling in. I was all excited.. like when a kid gets a new toy. Taking pics out of the window, looking around, playing with the seat, PTV.

We had a few passengers who thought they were slick, and decided to sit in Economy+. However they were quickly caught and sent back to their original seat. Boarding finished in half an hour, I was busy making final phone calls to family and friends. Since it was an empty flight pushback was actuall quite early. At 8:50 we pushed back. Actual departure was suppose to be 9:05.

The flight attendant came around with hot towels and glasses of juice and water. I asked for a diet pepsi, and he gladly brought it to me. Blankets and headphones were also distributed. Saftey demonstration was done, as well as played on the PTVS. Taxi time was about 27 minutes from pushback. Finally we took off from Runway 31L. The takeoff on a 773 is soooooo powerful! I was pushed back into my seat while it took off. Take off was a quick 20 second roll. Taking off into the night we made a quick left bank and headed over Long Island, over Boston, and Maine. Right after the seatbelt signs were switched off, the cabin crew got to work. The captain also gave his briefing. I love when the explain everything, and why they left early, and the route theyre taking... great on the pilots behalf. The flight attendent came around with Drinks, I ordered a Diet Pepsi, and along with the drinks handed the meal tray. Now theres a few things I kind of didnt like. I think they should first hand out some sort of snack like nuts along with drinks. THEN start meal service. All the great airlines do this. (Singapore, Cathay, Saudia) 2nd of all they didnt ask of any meal choices, just handed me a tray. Nor was there any menu. These small things make a big difference. Especially if you pay the extra for Econ+. Meal service although was very good.

It consisted of Rice with Palak Chicken, salad with a little potatoe salad, kheer. For economy plus they gave one small fried chicken wing and garlic bread (pictured) The flight attendant came around later asking me if I would want any more bread from the bread basket they had naan, roti, garlic bread, butter rolls. I opted for a piece of naan. The kheer was also delicious. Hands down, meal service is always good on PIA in all classes (my personal opinion)

After meal service, the lights were dimmed, PIA had mood lighting on the 773 which shows a starry sky, and the lights slowly change colors as well.

After the meal service, since I dont really sleep on my flights I decided to check out the IFE. Wow I thought, it SUCKED so much. They had lame old movies, and the dramas and sitcoms were lame as well. Nothing attracted me on that, so I just switched to the flight show and interactive map, and listened to my ipod. Also trying to rest a little, since I had the pleasure of a whole row to myself! All the other passengers in Econ+ also moved around so they could occupy an entire row and go to sleep. Very few actually were watching the IFE. A few aunties looked at me since I was snapping pics. I hate when they look at you either thinking your wierd or have never flown before lol! I was anxious to watch the sunrise so I could snap pics of it. Till then I just rested. Sunrise was beautiful from the sky. I took a few lovely pics of it.

After watching the sunrise, I thought it was time to do 'my job'. I waited till a male flight attendent walked past me, and I got his attention. Kindly showed him my log sheet, explained to him my hobby, and past pics Ive taken of PIA inflight. And asked him to further my request to the captain for a cockpit visit. Five minutes later I was in the cockpit!
The cockpit was actually crowded today, as there was some senior actually teaching what I think was a new pilot. The pilot was captain Sarwat and first officer Rehan Ashraf. I think Sarwat was being taught, because there was a senior on jumpseat, telling him what to do, and showing him shortcuts.

Anyway they welcomed me, asked me about my hobby, we had a nice chat. They said they were familiar with Historyofpia.com and airliners.net and browse these sites when tehy have time. F/O ashraf actually said he prefers planepictures over airliners.net! They were happy to have me taking pics, and actually told me what they thought was good to take pics of. The senior also said hed take a pic of me in the cockpit, and he did so. He also wanted to show me the new camera view they have and did so. It was great.

Very similar to the 772 cockpit just a few differences (camera) After a good 15-20 minutes in the cockpit I headed back to my seat. Time to get some rest. We had a good 2 hours more into manchester. We approached the Irish coast, flew through Ireland into England. The greenery looks so beautiful and peaceful from the sky. I was upset to see that there was no breakfast service or nothing offered. Not even to econ+ customers, I believe not even for Buisness+ customers. I think PIA should offer something, like a light breakfast or a snack prior to landing. They did come around 3-4 times after meal service with water and drinks and to see if we wanted anything. I got up a few times and got water and drinks from the galley myself.

We flew over england liverpool, and had an uneventful smooth landing at Manchester, passing by the viewing park and towards our gate 206 took some time.

Once attached to the jetway we waited to deplane. First had to wait for the Manchester passengers. I dont know why but theres always one MAN passenger who forgets to deplane, or I think enjoys PIA too much that doesnt want to get off the plane, till the security comes searching for him! Thats what happened to me both times this time, and last time. There was a young dude who works for PIA in Man who entered the plane looking for the passenger. I wish I got this guys name down, I see him at MAN everytime when I get off there. Haha when he came inside the plane... 2 girls in front of me were like OOO hes hott lol!! Description: Early 20's clean shave, skinny, paki british boy working for PIA. He directed us to the transit area, ending the JFK-MAN sector. Anyone know who he is?

Comments: The 772 and 773 seats were quite similar. I kind of expected something different in Econ+ in terms of seating and seat pitch and meals. However, I believe it was kind of worth it. There should be some improvements. I did write that on my comment card and handed it to the flight attendant.

Here is a scan of a page of the flight log which I had the pilot fill out. It has all the important and extra info!!!!!

Other parts to come soon!!!

**Sorry about any spelling, grammar, sentence structure mistakes, I was in a rush, and kind of wrote this in a rush as well**
atmalik
Registered Member

Post by atmalik »

Thanks for such a detailed report. I enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures.
CaptainFiaz
Registered Member

Post by CaptainFiaz »

Hey salam man.....

thanks for the report..I just wanted to clarify that it wasnt Captain Sarwat being taught...he was doing a route check with the other captain who just got upgraded thte 777. Captain sarwat is one of the first 5 captains to get chosen to pick up the 777... An absolute gentlemen and close family friend.
I am sure you had a nice chat with him, as he is very friendly.
well thanks again for the pics

Fiaz
CaptainFiaz
Registered Member

Post by CaptainFiaz »

Hey Salam again

the other captain was Captain Hamid Gardezi....who was getting checked out on the T7 by Captain Sarwat...

Fiaz
Pakos_du_29
Registered Member

Post by Pakos_du_29 »

Salaam,

Zabardast trip report fly1346... :D

I will go to Pakistan this summer, and I hope also have the same luck as U to visit the cockpit... :D

Tanks for sharing...
PIA ka Allah hi Hafiz hai...
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

fly1346, good to read a detailed report with pics. Thanks for sharing the PIA experience.

Looking foward for the remaining flight details....
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Very nice trip report with beautiful set of photos. I enjoyed it.

Capt. Sarwat indeed is a very refined gentleman and a great pilot. I remember, he was one of the pilots who flew PIA's very first Boeing 777-240ER (AP-BGJ) on its delivery flight from Seattle to Islamabad via London on January 29/30, 2004.

Thank you Omer for sharing trip report.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
FULLTHRUST
Registered Member

Post by FULLTHRUST »

He also flew General from Columbo to Karachi.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

FULLTHRUST wrote:He also flew General from Columbo to Karachi.
Let's not forget he simply was performing his duty as captain of an aircraft operating a scheduled passenger flight and he saved lives of passengers and crew by safely landing the Airbus A300 at Karachi Airport in difficult situation. I remember reading in newspapers that very little amount of fuel was left in the aircraft. Later, cockpit crew of the A300 including Capt. Sarwat received civilian award, which they fully deserved in my opinion, for saving lives of passengers and for handling the situation in professional manner.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
FULLTHRUST
Registered Member

Post by FULLTHRUST »

No No, I didnt mean anything else, except for the information for the majority of forum members that he was the pilot in command of that flight. One more thing, the FOD, fuel over destination was not enough for a go around. A useful take off consumes more fuel than the fuel left in that flight. So, had that flight had to go around (by any chance), they did not have that much fuel for it.
Jacobin777
Registered Member

Post by Jacobin777 »

Great job there! Loved the report and photos!

I can't wait until I fly PK LHR-KHI in August (Inshallah).... :D
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Wow, great work dude! 8) Its been ages since Ive seen someone write a report this indepth - and this is just half of it!! :lol:

Usually we see the photographs of peoples trips and thats it! Thankyou for sharing your photographs and thoughts with us! TOP JOB! 8)
fly1346
Registered Member

Post by fly1346 »

thanks guys, i really appreciate your comments. Ill be writing the other segments in the upcoming days, with many more pics!!! keep on waiting guys, its my pleasure! :D

gosh i didnt know captain sarwat was soo famous, I would have had a lenghtier chat with him then! hes really a nice gentlemen!
iqbal
Registered Member

Post by iqbal »

lovely pics mate ! Its awsome to sit in a 773 jumpseat - im sure it was warm from when i was there :P Anyway it looks like they're teaching how to program an FMC judging by the route discontinuity on the right FMC
Iqbal Malik
------------------------------------------
fly1346
Registered Member

Post by fly1346 »

thanks iqbal.. you brought up a thought to my mind.... is it just me.. or does the cockpit always have this faint smell of cigarette smoke in it? causing the warmth lol...i think these pilots decide to have a smoke every now and then in the cockpit? is this true?