1:32 PIA 747-200 & 1:50 PIA 707 made in Pakistan.

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Moin
Registered Member

Re: 1:32 PIA 747-200 & 1:50 PIA 707 made in Pakistan.

Post by Moin »

Yes Nasir, you do not have to remind me about that TWA 747 model. I used to see it every day going to and from school back in the late 70's and 80's. My nose would be pinned to the car window and I would ask my mother to slow down as we passed the TWA office so I could gaze at it in awe and wonder. It was probably the same scale i.e. 1:32 as these 747's I made and it also had landing gears and 2 metal poles suspending the wings which were hanging down. Even then I used to wonder why TWA would send such a huge model to a place like Karachi where, as far as I know, they had no intention of operating. They acquired 747SP's in the late 70's specifically for routes to the 'Middle East' but those never came about and by that time TWA had changed their livery as well so why such a big model was sent here I have no clue but can only imagine how many of those 747 models they must have had made back in the early 70's and whereabouts in the world they sent them to their offices.

To this day I wonder where that TWA model has gone and so wish I could trace its whereabouts because when TWA wound up, the office closed, got refurbished and became Air Canada. I never brought myself to go inside and ask Air Canada if they have any idea what happened to that model, whether they have some store room at the back inside where they have dumped it, only God knows. There is another office there which was the original Akai showroom which has also been shutter down for years and I'm beginning to wonder if its possible that model might be stored in there. Very few people would have the space to display such a huge model and I wouldn't want to think they threw it away. It has to be out there somewhere. A friend of mine told me that Pan Am also had an identical 747 model with landing gears which was placed on the floor of their Metropole ticket office and of course, all traces of that are now gone too. Air France too had a similar sized 747 and they wound up their office as well, so one can only imagine where those models have all gone.
Moin Abbasi
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

Not the model that you and I are talking about, but here is a restored one from the 70's:

Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Yes the model here in Khi was in the 1970 twin globe delivery livery and with landing gears which makes it all the more desirable. This one pictured here is in the later livery and looks to be as big as mine and made by Westway Models. Where were these pics taken?
Moin Abbasi
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

I think somewhere in the UK.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

At one time, i also had desire to find myself a model of B747 or Concorde in same scale when i was 10-11 years old, i used to see one of PIA's cutaways at the office in Lahore's Gulbergh market office, i used to be in the window and as Moin was like in his youth for TWA model, i was like that towards that PIA's B742's cutaway model. I know couple model of these sizes here in Mississauga, one is in BA's landor livery and other one is BA Concorde, both same scale n looks gorgeous....