PIA DC-10 takeoff scene from classic drama !

Share videos related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Osman
Registered Member

PIA DC-10 takeoff scene from classic drama !

Post by Osman »

My favourite PIA aircraft in my favourite livery in my favourite PTV serial with my favourite sound track ! NOSTALGIA !

Enjoy and relive past memories !
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: PIA DC-10 takeoff scene from classic drama !

Post by Abbas Ali »

PTV drama serial 'Dhoop Kinare' background theme music that can be heard in video footage showing PIA McDonnell DC-10-30 was composed by Pakistan's renowned musician Arshad Mehmood.

The same tune of drama serial 'Dhoop Kinare' background theme music was also used for one of PIA in-flight instrumental music pieces created by Arshad Mehmood.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
kashan
Registered Member

Post by kashan »

I would have been happier if PIA had still had been operating DC10, 747-200, 707/720 and F27 in this livery and same status as in the 80s, rather than having the latest equipment in its current state and colours.
Shame on PIA chairman, managing director, board of directors, staff, designers and all others related to the new livery, who have contributed to further ruination of this once prestigious airlines image.
Osman
Registered Member

Post by Osman »

Good old peaceful days of 80s !

Plus PIA DC-10 in gold green livery looked beautiful at night ! I travelled once from Lahore to Karachi as a kid in 1983 !
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

A couple of photos showing PIA McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 aircraft at night at airline's homebase Karachi International Airport, Pakistan, in 1980s.

PIA McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 (AP-AYM) with her sisterships at Karachi Airport.

A PIA McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 at Karachi Airport.

Some months ago, I met a Boeing 777 captain and asked him about his favourite aircraft types flown by himself. In his reply, he included DC-10-30 as among his most favourite aircraft. He said that he enjoyed flying PIA DC-10-30 as First Officer and added that at that time he found DC-10-30 aircraft design ahead of its time.

Abbas

See you at:
syedhasanatizaz
Registered Member

Post by syedhasanatizaz »

i don't know whats wrong but this plane in this livery with black nose makes me feel very high. i simply love it.

engine fixed near/on tail was often problem for maintenance....
Osman
Registered Member

Post by Osman »

I loved the DC-10 in closeup at night with the dark tinted cockpit panes...........

Late Captain Chugtai (whose son is ATR captain) was captain DC-10 and he too loved the aircraft !

DC-10 and Tristars were literally killed by twin engined Boeing 767s and A300/310s which offered latest technological advances in twin engine economy on extended route operations. The DC-10 was built as a competitor to B747 but Boeing suddenly brought B767-200/300 that directly challenged the DC-10 and Tristar!
syedhasanatizaz
Registered Member

Post by syedhasanatizaz »

tristar got flopped because it had structural defects, i don't remember exactly but something from its skin often gets cracked internally and eventually the plane is grounded ...
Osman
Registered Member

Post by Osman »

Tristar was a superb aircraft it did'nt have the luck as its prototype roll out was constantly delayed due to continuous design changes by Lockeed. This allowed McDonnel Douglas to gain the initial orders for trijets. However, still L100 series Tristars got their share of orders and enjoyed a better flight safety record.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

syedhasanatizaz wrote:engine fixed near/on tail was often problem for maintenance....
Only a hand-pushed or engine powered taller mobile stair case is needed to inspect tail mounted engine by aircraft engineers/technicians for an aircraft parked on tarmac. Just like a taller stair case is required for inspection of Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) of bigger airliners like Boeing 747 parked on tarmac.

In wide-body aircraft maintenance hangar obviously they have all sorts of equipment to closely inspect aircraft and perform maintenance work up to the top of tail fin.

Btw, in following PIA advertisment from November/December 1983 issue of airline's in-flight magazine 'Humsafar', a photo showing PIA McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 with covers of its engine#1 and engine#2 (tail mounted engine) opened for maintenance inspecton can be seen.
syedhasanatizaz wrote:tristar got flopped because it had structural defects, i don't remember exactly but something from its skin often gets cracked internally and eventually the plane is grounded ...
TriStar did not have any such defects. Some of world's leading airlines like British Airways, TWA, Delta Airlines etc. operated TriStars without any serious technical complaints.

Abbas

See you at:
kashan
Registered Member

Post by kashan »

Sometime in the 80s Cosmopolitan magazine (US edition) carried an article on a trip to Egypt and their correspondant or famous editor Helen Gurly Brown flew PIA DC10 New York to Cairo, it had a picture of the aircraft and crew, but called the airline as Pakistani International Airways.
Shame on PIA chairman, managing director, board of directors, staff, designers and all others related to the new livery, who have contributed to further ruination of this once prestigious airlines image.
riz
Registered Member

Post by riz »

Quoting Abbas' pics.

what a view .... what planes .. and what time was that ... no planes parked in the back ground in the second pic .. and if i take a pic of the same area now , at least 4-5 planes are parked at a time idle on the ground. i miss the old PIA. i regret myself to be tooooo young at that time to be a part of the glorious PIA>.....DC-10 where are you.....
R 1 z .

PK > EK. EI ED FZ WY B6 G9 EY NL QR GF TG PF.
kashan
Registered Member

Post by kashan »

Last PK Dc10 flight I saw take off was in 1985 while at a friends house in Karsaz area, it must have been doing 731 to Jeddah as it was early evening.

When were they phased out?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Exchange of PIA DC-10-30s with CP Air Boeing 747-200Bs began in December 1985.

The last DC-10-30 to leave PIA fleet was AP-AYM. It went to CP Air in October 1986.

Here's one of last photos of AP-AYM in PIA livery. The tri-jet is seen starting up engines with a little cough by engine # 2 (tail-mounted engine). The photo was taken at Frankfurt Airport on September 6, 1986 as AP-AYM got ready to operate flight to its homebase Karachi Airport.

Click here to see large photo.

Abbas

See you at:
kashan
Registered Member

Post by kashan »

Thanks abbas, I can confirm now I saw it in mid 1986 as it was followed or preceeded by an Emirates A300, and EK started flying to KHI in fall 1985, so it couldnt have been mid 85.