PIA had helicopters???

Share videos related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
malpensa26
Registered Member

PIA had helicopters???

Post by malpensa26 »

:mrgreen:
hjmemon
Registered Member

Re: PIA had helicopters???

Post by hjmemon »

I am not sure, but i think its when PIA was doing something like ISB-Murree-ISB!!!!
Virtual PIA
Wings Of Pakistan
http://www.vpia.org
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Islamabad-based PIA Mi-17 helicopter service brochure from 1995. PIA helicopter scheduled flights were operated to Abbottabad, Bhurban, Sialkot and Peshawar. Charter service was available for Shogran, Kalam, Naran and Chitral.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Well in past PIA owned 3 Sikorsky S-61 Helicopters also, i believe they flew between east and west Pakistan some years after the independence in 1947...

http://www.historyofpia.com/olddays3.htm
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

The video is titled incorrectly. It says PIA 747 to MAN, but in actuality, it's a BA 747 (British accented "Cabin Crew Doors to Armed" as well as "World Traveler" comments)
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Nasir wrote:The video is titled incorrectly. It says PIA 747 to MAN, but in actuality, it's a BA 747 (British accented "Cabin Crew Doors to Armed" as well as "World Traveler" comments)
Nasir,

I think author saw those two Mil Mi-8 Heli's in PIA colors in that video and asked his question using it for his reference purpose only. In that regard this thread is titled properly...
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

ConnieMan wrote:In that regard this thread is titled properly...
I wasn't referring to this thread, but to the YouTube video title, as my message indicates.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Oh Oh i see, sorry...
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ConnieMan wrote:Well in past PIA owned 3 Sikorsky S-61 Helicopters also, i believe they flew between east and west Pakistan some years after the independence in 1947...
A helicopter cannot be expected to operate scheduled flights covering the vast expanse of India between then West and East Pakistan.

The PIA Sikorsky S-61N helicopter sevice was operated within East Pakistan from 1963 to 1967.

1963 leaflet with info about PIA Sikorsky S-61N helicopter service in East Pakistan.

Routes flown by PIA's Dacca-based Sikorsky S-61N helicopters in East Pakistan.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Yep they did! During Nawaz Sharif tenture mainly. Its really rare to see such videos of PIA helicopters! Great find!
Yazi747
Registered Member

Post by Yazi747 »

PIA Served Islamabad Sialkot sector with these helicopters in 90's. But the service was cancelled due to poor managment. A small Sialkot Cantonment Airport, located in the Sialkot Cantonment, is in use of the aviation wing of the Pakistan Army. This airport has also been used as a public airport by PIA for operating a Helicopter service from Sialkot to Islamabad in 1995-1996. (Taken From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sialkot) The reason i am too sure about it coz the helicopters used to fly over Jhelum on the way and back from Sialkot. Hope this answers the questions. Lolz
I wish i was a Plane