PIA ATR 42-500 Icing & Ice Removal - Photos by Aroosh

Share photos of PIA, Pakistani airlines, Pakistani airports and photos related to civil & military aviation of Pakistan.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

PIA ATR 42-500 Icing & Ice Removal - Photos by Aroosh

Post by Abbas Ali »

Here's a set of photos + info sent by First Officer Aroosh Naqvi (forum member AN).

As the ATR, like most turboprop aircraft, flies at lower levels where moisture and temperatures are ideal, icing is one of the aircraft's biggest drawbacks. As illustrated here, we are passing through alot of moisture which upon contact with the aircraft skin freezes when the temperatures are near the freezing point.

Hi shutter speed to freeze the prop shows ice begin to accumulate on the leading edge of the prop blades as well.

The initial ice buildup on the wing leading edge, spinner and engine intake.

The aircraft is equipped with two defences against ice. Anti-Ice, which as the name suggest is there to prevent the development of ice primarily by heating areas particularly susceptible to ice accretion. This is the first defence, the second being De-Icing, which as the name suggests involves the removal of ice one it has accumulated on the aircraft. De-icing is usually done through the use of inflatable rubber boots which expand thereby breaking the ice. This can clearly be seen in these two images as alternative areas of the boots on the wing leading edge expand causing the ice to crack and fall off.

The aircraft is equipped with two defences against ice. Anti-Ice, which as the name suggest is there to prevent the development of ice primarily by heating areas particularly susceptible to ice accretion. This is the first defence, the second being De-Icing, which as the name suggests involves the removal of ice one it has accumulated on the aircraft. De-icing is usually done through the use of inflatable rubber boots which expand thereby breaking the ice. This can clearly be seen in these two images as alternative areas of the boots on the wing leading edge expand causing the ice to crack and fall off.

Thank you Aroosh for sharing!
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
atmalik
Registered Member

Post by atmalik »

You know Aroosh before looking at these pics from you I never really thought of icing as a problem in Pakistan. Obviously I was wrong. Does this phenomena pose any major threat to the ac, or is it a common occurrence on these type of birds??
AN
Registered Member

Post by AN »

This phenomenon used to be responsible for alot of accidents till the 50's and 60's when aircraft were poorly equipped to handle icing, however most aircraft now have adequate ice protection, and this phenomenon is actually not as evident in Pakistan, due to warmer temperatures, as it is in colder climates where it is more prevalent.
inducedrag
Registered Member

Post by inducedrag »

Very good pictures keep it up AN
atmalik
Registered Member

Post by atmalik »

AN wrote:This phenomenon used to be responsible for alot of accidents till the 50's and 60's when aircraft were poorly equipped to handle icing, however most aircraft now have adequate ice protection, and this phenomenon is actually not as evident in Pakistan, due to warmer temperatures, as it is in colder climates where it is more prevalent.
Thanks Aroosh for the reply...
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

nice pictures with very informative description.

I remember that during one of my recent trips to Lahore in nov/dec 2005, flying KU A310; the pilot was turning lights on and off during cruise stage and i hope this will be the similar case to see the wings if having any ice?

Once AN also mentioned the similar thing that they did while flying in night time and turning on the lights to see the wing condition.

anyhow, thanks for share. AN, i hope to have more interested details about aviation in future from your end.
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333