'Come Fly With Me' - book by Capt. Johnny Sadiq published

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Book's second part titled "Come Fly With Me – Jets" expected in first quarter of year 2008.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Second part of the book titled "Come Fly With Me – Jets" now available.

Only 400 are available for sale so if you want a copy please book one early.

The book is hard cover, with 394 pages, 60 B&W photographs, and four B&W artist illustrations.

It costs 790 rupees in Pakistan, $20 in the USA, and 10 pounds in UK. (P&P is extra)

See you at:
hasan saleem
Registered Member

Post by hasan saleem »

Went to Capt Sadiq home to buy the book.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Come Fly With Me: Jets
Capt. Johnny Sadiq

Rs790, US$20, £10
ISBN 969-8784-51-9
418 pp, 225 x 140 mm
Paperback, 2008

The book, subtitled Jets, tells the story of Johnny Sadiq’s career from his introduction to flying jet aircraft (the Boeing 707) until his retirement when he was an instructor on the Boeing 747. This story, filled with anecdotes and interesting flying adventures as well as behind the scenes goings on in airline flight training and management, covers more than thirty years. The author relates his stories with humour and sensitivity in his characteristic engaging way, telling it ‘like it was,’ warts and all.

This was no ordinary career—Sadiq’s baptism to airline flying was on the Northern Mountains, among the most dangerous routes in the world. Later he flew in East Pakistan through the most appalling weather conditions. These flights were flown on the venerable DC-3, Dakota aeroplane, and the Fokker F-27. Subsequently, after flying the Super-Constellation as co-pilot for nearly a year, Sadiq qualified for command on the DC-3 and later the F-27.

An engine fire while commanding a Boeing 707 flying out of Muscat in the UAE, followed by an approach with two of four engines not working, a near collision of wide bodied jets at New York, and a drama on board a Jumbo Jet out of Tokyo with a venomous snake loose in the cabin, are just a few of the incidents covered in this exciting saga.

Captain Jan Sayed Mohammed Sadiq, usually referred to by his nickname Johnny, is a very ‘international’ person. Born in England in 1938, his father was an Indian doctor who later became a Pakistani, and his English mother was of Irish descent.

Johnny spent his formative years in England and wanted to become a pilot from an early age. The road to achieving this was far from easy. He was not selected for the Royal Air Force in 1957 mainly because of cutbacks in pilot strength at that time, but he was among the twenty possible candidates who survived the tests out of one hundred and fifty with only one being taken. He went to Pakistan to join the Pakistan Air Force but changed goals to become one of the country’s leading airline pilots. In his career which spanned thirty-seven years, he had many unusual and exciting adventures. His travels to some of the world’s greatest cities gained him friends in many countries. He retired in November 1998 and now lives in a seaside apartment in Karachi with his Japanese wife Etsuko. He spends his time doing honorary part time work with the Pakistan Airline Pilots’ Association, sailing and racing at the Karachi Yacht Club, and writing his memoirs.

Source: SAMA Books

Book also available at:
Sama Editorial & Publishing Services
Office No. M-2, Building 5-C
Khayaban-e-Sehr
17th Street, DHA Phase 6
Karachi, Pakistan
Tel: 021-5856028 & 021-5346718

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

"Come Fly With Me – Propellers - An Airline Pilot’s Story"

"Come Fly With Me – Jets - An Airline Pilot’s Story"

Captain Johnny Sadiq's good books......

Review by Noonray

Last year I quite enjoyed reading Captain Johnny Sadiq's first book "Come Fly With Me - Propellers", his account of the earlier phase of his flying career starting with his days as a student pilot at the Karachi Aero Club in the 1950's, then joining PIA to fly the DC 3 Dakota, Super Constellation and Fokker F 27 .

The keenly awaited sequel "Come Fly With Me - Jets" released recently continues his story with the transition to jets in the PIA fleet, the Trident, Boeing 720 and 707, the wide-bodied DC 10 and ultimately the acme of any commercial pilot's career and undisputed queen of the skies the Boeing 747 'Jumbo'.

I have just finished 'Jets' and can now emphatically recommend both books. Engagingly written with unusual candour and wit and generously illustrated with photographs, some quite rare, the books are an absorbing read mapping in goodly detail - via Johnny Sadiq's 37 year career at PIA, closing with his retirement as senior Captain on the Jumbo - not just his life but a good part of PIA's and commercial aviation's history in Pakistan about which so little has come out in 60 years.

Written alike for pilots and non-pilots, aviation enthusiasts and non, the reader shares Johnny Sadiq's anxiety as he flies in Pakistan's northern areas known to be among the most dangerous in the world, negotiates severe thunderstorms in East Pakistan, manages very serious emergencies like an engine fire and multiple engine failures, avoids colliding with a Jumbo in New York, and has to capture in mid-flight amid panicking and hysterical passengers a poisonous snake which escaped from its cage in the hold to emerge in the cabin! Although inevitably no report of the incident was made public after the furore blew over, 'Jets' also presents the first authentic account of the Jumbo belly-landed inadvertantly in 1986 by its pilots at Islamabad airport who simply forgot to lower the wheels - a freaky world's-first never repeated anywhere before or since.

Keeping interest sharp are the delightful personal anecdotes which continuously pepper the narrative. Among them: how Johnny Sadiq while on deputation to Jordan avoided being shot dead at roadblocks during pitched gun battles between the Jordanian army and Palestinians; how he hoodwinked and befriended a stern, unsmiling Russian general in Amsterdam to win a bet!; the numerous interesting personalities he met the world over including the VIP's he flew; and of course, a glimpse into pilots' hi-jinks during layovers!

Flying duties apart, Johnny's career saw him holding senior posts in flight training and management. Never losing good humour he also takes the reader through his ups and downs with the jagged goings-on, manoeuverings and organisational politics behind the scenes at the PIA head office.

Order the books directly from Johnny Sadiq in Karachi by e mail at jsadiq@cyber.net.pk .

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Come Fly With Me: Jets - Book Launch Ceremony Held In Karachi

KARACHI, June 2:
Pointing out that political appointments had damaged the national airline, veteran pilot Captain Jan Sayed Mohammed Sadiq – better known as Johnny Sadiq – hoped that the selection of Pakistan International Airline’s new managing director would bring about a turnaround in the fortunes of the flag carrier.

Capt Sadiq, who has 37 years of flying experience under his belt, was speaking at the launch of Come Fly With Me: Jets, his second book, at a local hotel on Monday.

“The airline that I have loved so much has deteriorated. Political appointees have made decisions not for the airline but to please their masters,” he said, welcoming the appointment of new MD Captain Mohammad Aijaz Haroon, himself a pilot.

The author’s entire flying career was spent with the PIA apart from two-year-long deputations, the first with Royal Jordanian Airlines in 1970 and the second with Qatar Airways in 1998 in his last year of flying. The book is a follow-up to his maiden venture, Come Fly With Me: Propellers.

In the beginning of the book, he has made it clear that it is not a history of the PIA, but more of a personal account of his own career.

Narrating amusing anecdotes and vignettes from his career, Capt Sadiq said his wife Etsuko urged him to write the book. He told the audience that after reading the book, it might seem like flying is a dangerous pursuit, but said that statistically speaking, it is the safest way to travel, adding that he had flown thousands of flights safely.

The author, who cut his teeth by flying in Pakistan’s rather rough – terrain-wise – Northern Areas, said that today, pilots depend too much on the aircraft’s autopilot function and don’t do enough manual flying.

He also read out a poem he has composed, included in the book, which describes his flying career from the legendary propeller-driven Douglas DC-3 to the mighty Boeing 747, one of the biggest birds in the sky when speaking about commercial passenger aircraft.

Earlier, columnist and former general-manager of PIA Anwer Mooraj, who was the chief guest, introduced the author and the book and read out excerpts.

He said he was family friends with Capt Sadiq and knew the author from before their association in the national airline. He claimed that intrigues in the flag carrier took place from the GM down to the peons and were based on sectarian, provincial and other differences.

On a lighter note, he said the national airline was known for its beautiful and elegant air hostesses and alert stewards. He said the stories in the book were from before the time of hijackings and body searches.

He described the effort as a “highly unusual book, an autobiographical adventure story.” He said it contained accounts of not only how pilots fly but also how they spend their leisure time. Praising the author, Mr Mooraj said Capt Sadiq was a wonderful pilot and human being who was guided by professionalism and not expediency.

He said the book contains useful insights into the workings of two Third World airlines and that technical jargon has been kept to a minimum, adding that it was full of details.—QAM

Source: DAWN

'Come Fly With Me-Jets' Launched

KARACHI (June 03 2008):
Second part of a book titled "Come Fly With Me-Jets" consists of interesting flying adventures, happenings in airline flight training and management was launched on Monday. The book was launched in a simple ceremony, held here at a local hotel, was authored by Captain Jan Sayed Mohammed Sadiq alias Johnny, who has served in Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) as a pilot for more than thirty years.

The ceremony with renowned columnist Anwar Mooraj as its chief guest was attended by a large number of local and foreign dignitaries, mostly Japanese friends of Sadiq's wife, Ichoko, a former Japan origin PIA airhostess.

In his address, Anwar Mooraj said the author was his colleague in PIA and a bosom friend. He appreciated the book and termed it "highly unusual book" in the style of "autobiographical adventure story." Sharing various paragraphs of the book with the audience, Mooraj said the author had written the book in an easy to read style with a beautiful touches of amusing situation.

He said Captain Sadiq was not only a wonderful human but also a wonderful pilot and had flown innumerable flights during his 37 years career in PIA without experiencing a single unfortunate incident.

Later, Captain Sadiq, author of the book, thanked the chief guest and audience and shared some of the interesting events of his life. On the sidelines, Nitasha, daughter of Captain Sadiq, told the media that her father had written the book in such a natural way that after reading the book she felt herself flying in a plane. Urging the need for more such programmes to entertain the people, she said public response towards the book was encouraging.

Darakhshan, an Urdu speaking Japanese women, said she had read first part of the book and was of the view that the second part would also be interesting. Giving a "Buy the Book" message to Pakistanis, the Japanese lady said very few books were being written on the subject of aviation due to lack of public demand. An unknown Western lady terming the event as pleasing and said the lot of people were present in the ceremony, which was encouraging.

Source: www.brecorder.com

See you at:
R.F.
Registered Member

Post by R.F. »

Excellent read, enjoyed every bit of it, some of those characters are larger than life and the every day politics that plagues PIA, how true.

Over all good work indeed Jhonny!
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

He is a good friend of my father's. He even signed a copy of his book that my father bought for me and will mail it.

My father wrote it said something like "Dear Nadir, I hope you have an enjoyable flying career as I did when I first started out."

I'll post the exact details when i recieve it in the mail. It should arrive any day. ;)
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

i got Mr Saddiq's books

Post by Nadir Ali »

I took pics of his autograph in the second book
The first one (propellers) says:

To Nadir with best wishes,

Johnny Saddiq

Karachi May 2008

The second jets one says:
To Nadir

Good luck with your flying
-I hope that it gives you as much pleasure and satisfaction as it gave me!

Johnny Sadiq

Karachi May 2008

Btw the first book propellars has AP-AFQ in flight in the pictures section. Nice to see the plane i saw as a wreck during childhood in action :D

here's a pic of his autograph, but i covered my last name with a card as i avoid giving my full name on the internet.

raihans
Registered Member

Re: i got Mr Saddiq's books

Post by raihans »

Nadirali wrote:i covered my last name with a card as i avoid giving my full name on the internet.
what sort of this concept is?
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

raihans wrote:
Nadirali wrote:i covered my last name with a card as i avoid giving my full name on the internet.
Its security measures man - anyone can use your name. You may think its trivial but anything can happen these dayz.. :roll:
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

PK777 wrote:
raihans wrote:
Its security measures man - anyone can use your name. You may think its trivial but anything can happen these dayz.. :roll:
Thanks for explaning it to him. :wink:
captain_salman
Registered Member

Post by captain_salman »

Dear Capt. J. Sadiq ji its an honor and pleasure to see you here!! I can't believe you are here in the forums!! I am your huge fan! You are one of our best pilots we ever had! And I am so happy to see you here! Its a previlage really! Reading your book intrigued me to become a pilot sir! And I can't express my feelings how deeply I respect you!!! God bless you! :)
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Source: Books & Authors - DAWN (November 23, 2008 edition)

See you at:
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

i have also got both books but at my Lahore residence. might be possible next month, i get those copies over here in Kuwait along with some of my relative traveling back to Kuwait.

...and what a great it will be, if we get more and more books from other legendary pilots of PIA as well with details about their aviation life like Capt. J. Sadiq did :thumbs_up:
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333