PIA flight lands safely after bird hit

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
PakN'US
Registered Member

PIA flight lands safely after bird hit

Post by PakN'US »

RAWALPINDI, Sept 17: A Pakistan International Airlines flight (PK-368) escaped disaster when a bird hit one of its engines while landing at Islamabad International Airport on Friday, airport officials told Dawn. The PIA Airbus A310 was grounded after its left side engine suffered a 12-inch dent.

The plane, which was carrying 180 passengers, including crew members, was landing at the airport at its scheduled time (12:55pm) when a bird hit one of its engines.

A PIA spokesman, Mohammad Latif, said nobody was injured in the incident, however, the plane had been grounded. A team of PIA engineers will arrive in Islamabad from Karachi on Saturday morning to repair the engine.

http://dawn.com/2005/09/18/nat46.htm
Just when you thought you were winning the rat race, along came faster rats!!!
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

DAMN THESE BIRDS!....well i suppose they must be saying the same :P....dont they bird shooters at ISB? i know they have em at LHE, KHI doesnt need any...strong winds :P
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

I know here in the U.S. they use falcons, eagles, and hawks the natural predator of these smaller birds to scare them off, so these things do not happen too frequently. They also use this at the 7 star Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai for scaring off annoying pigeons.
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

using birds to scare birds doesnt really help you know...
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

Well it kind of does over here, but who knows. I saw something on the discovery or history channel on it. They use the birds natural predator. Its like scaring deer with wolves or fox, or antelopes with tigers. The falcons/hawks/eagles eat and kill those other birds. Anyways what would happen if they put a thin wire screen in front of the engine so things like birds do not get sucked in.
iqbal
Registered Member

Post by iqbal »

if a wee bird can totally mutilate an engine a "wee wire mesh" will stand no chance - it will if anything be worse as there will be more debris flying into the engine and possibly into the fuselage
Iqbal Malik
------------------------------------------
Adnaan786
Registered Member

Post by Adnaan786 »

It would probably affect engine performance too by obstructing the airflow into the engine.
Aphelion
Registered Member

Post by Aphelion »

Islamabad airport has a lot of trees near the runway. In fact CAA has even planted many trees within the airport perimeter. Surely these trees attract birds.

I don't think there are any plants or trees within Heathrow's perimeter.
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

well if the birds have good hearing....they should move out of the airport area cuz of the noise
Adnaan786
Registered Member

Post by Adnaan786 »

Birds have tiny brains..... have you ever heard of the phrase "bird brain".... I rest my case. :P

I've heard of birds flying at 33000ft!!!! They're amazing creatures, but not very smart.
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

if ur flyin at 33K and get hit by a plane....then ur not a very smart bird....doesnt realyy matter to it as it will get it at 500 too :P
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

Poor poor birds..They are amazing,but very stupid at times as shown above being sucked into the engine.
R.F.
Registered Member

Post by R.F. »

Studies have shown that with the onboard weather radar'ON' and the aircraft lights 'ON' it is a deterant for the birds but not completey solves the menace.
The probability of hitting a bird at 33k is non existant, however getting hit by debris from a falling meteor has been reported at that level and aircraft engines have flamed out as result. The most incidents of 'Bird hits' are below 10000 feet, therefore jets tend to reduce thier speeds to 250 Knots below 10000 feet which ofcourse may also be an ATC requirement. At that speed a bird strike especially on the wind shield would have a far less imapct as compared to higher speeds.

Some airlines especially in the US have faces painted on the radome of the plane, it has been observed that is also an deterrant for the birds.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

A little off-topic: On March 2, 1981, A PIA Boeing 720B took-off from Karachi for a short domestic flight to Peshawar. Soon after take-off, the Boeing 720B (registration AP-AZP) experienced bird strike. Since there was no damage to the aircraft, the flight continued. Minutes later the Boeing 720B was hijacked and the rest is part of our aviation history.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Imran Hassan
Registered Member

Post by Imran Hassan »

AirBlue wrote:using birds to scare birds doesnt really help you know...
It also works here in London where in Trafalgar Square two Hawks hunt down pigeons.