Metro Bus Service for Islamabad International Airport

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Metro Bus Service for Islamabad International Airport

Post by Abbas Ali »

A meeting chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan today discussed solutions for delay suffered by metro bus project for Islamabad International Airport.

The meeting decided to establish Islamabad Mass Transit Authority to operate metro bus service to & from Islamabad International Airport.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Departmental Development Working Party (DDWP) has approved a PC-I prepared by the Capital Development Authority (CDA) for operation, management and maintenance of the Metro Bus Service between Peshawar Mor and Islamabad International Airport.

Under PKR 1.9 billion PC-I, CDA will buy 30 buses for metro bus service. CDA will also be responsible for the management and maintenance of the service.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

On September 8, federal cabinet approved formation of Capital Mass Transit Authority (CMTA) mainly for operation of metro bus service between Islamabad International Airport and Peshawar Morr.

CMTA will have a 13-member board headed by the Chairman Capital Development Authority (CDA). Till the formation of CMTA, CDA will take steps to buy buses for the service.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Punjab Masstransit Authority (PMA) has declined Capital Development Authority (CDA) request to operate six buses on metro bus track between Islamabad International Airport and Peshawar Morr as a stopgap arrangement till the procurement of thirty buses by CDA that can take several months.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Today (February 17), federal cabinet meeting will review metro bus project for Islamabad International Airport.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Following a decision taken by the federal cabinet and interior ministry instructions, Capital Development Authority (CDA) will take over stalled project of Peshawar Morr to Islamabad International Airport Metro Bus Service from National Highway Authority (NHA).

NHA will provide input to CDA that has been given lead role by the government to complete the project by the end of year 2021.

https://epaper.dawn.com/DetailImage.php ... 21_151_007

Abbas

See you at:
ba260
Registered Member

Post by ba260 »

It's sad that there is no public transportation like rail or bus link to all 3 major airports (KHI, LHE, ISB). Especially since we're trying to advertise PK as tourist destination, we need to have such infrastructure in place. These connections should be consider when planning Metro bus and Orange Line.

Mass transit systems should be able to have a path of growth and meet with rail lines as well, to make it useful and impactful to the masses.
AC Flown: 717, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787, A220, A319, A320, A321, A321, A330, A350, A380, CRJ200, CRJ500, CRJ700, CRJ900, Cessna 172, E145, E170, E175, E190, MD-11, and MD-80.

EA, PA, AF, NZ, AA, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, LA, LH, NW, PK, QF, QR, SV, TK, UA, US, & VA.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Agenda of federal cabinet meeting on March 9 to be chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan includes briefing on Islamabad metro bus project.

Abbas

See you at:
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

ba260 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:17 am It's sad that there is no public transportation like rail or bus link to all 3 major airports (KHI, LHE, ISB). Especially since we're trying to advertise PK as tourist destination, we need to have such infrastructure in place. These connections should be consider when planning Metro bus and Orange Line.

Mass transit systems should be able to have a path of growth and meet with rail lines as well, to make it useful and impactful to the masses.
Most of foreigners are picked up by hosts or can use taxi. Also in Pakistan you dont see off or receive your outgoing/incoming guests with public transports. There are wagons full of family & friends who think it is bad to ask a guest to use public transport to depart/arrive.

My opinion on this project has changed and IMO it is totally unneeded considering the point above. Yes it helps airport employees but considering their number, they can run some pick & drop service for them instead of launching a whole metro bus project.
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

faisal-777 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 am
ba260 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:17 am It's sad that there is no public transportation like rail or bus link to all 3 major airports (KHI, LHE, ISB). Especially since we're trying to advertise PK as tourist destination, we need to have such infrastructure in place. These connections should be consider when planning Metro bus and Orange Line.

Most of foreigners are picked up by hosts or can use taxi. Also in Pakistan you dont see off or receive your outgoing/incoming guests with public transports. There are wagons full of family & friends who think it is bad to ask a guest to use public transport to depart/arrive.

My opinion on this project has changed and IMO it is totally unneeded considering the point above. Yes it helps airport employees but considering their number, they can run some pick & drop service for them instead of launching a whole metro bus project.
Don't simplify it. Foreigners and tourists especially budget travelers will use public transport if it will be available. Public transport is so common in west that we never think of taxis so should be in Pakistan. Even I as an overseas Pakistani do like to use public transport and don't want that my brother or someone from let's say Bahria Town is coming all the way to airport just to pick me up. Its a journey that takes hours plus traffic is frustrating. I remember using a public transport at Lahore airport few years ago when I arrived from Milan to Lahore and bus driver told me why don't i take a taxi. Guys its my choice. Give me options and let me choose. Stop bringing up excuses for not doing your job.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Pakistan's Information Minister Shibli Faraz informed a press briefing in Islamabad today that the federal cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan received briefing on Islamabad Metro Bus Service project that has experienced delays for a variety of reasons.

Prime Minister has directed authorities to complete the pending project.

Abbas

See you at:
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

bukhari917 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:12 am

Don't simplify it. Foreigners and tourists especially budget travelers will use public transport if it will be available. Public transport is so common in west that we never think of taxis so should be in Pakistan. Even I as an overseas Pakistani do like to use public transport and don't want that my brother or someone from let's say Bahria Town is coming all the way to airport just to pick me up. Its a journey that takes hours plus traffic is frustrating. I remember using a public transport at Lahore airport few years ago when I arrived from Milan to Lahore and bus driver told me why don't i take a taxi. Guys its my choice. Give me options and let me choose. Stop bringing up excuses for not doing your job.
Western public transportation system has trust of all segments of society - so everyone is up for using it. That is not the case in Pakistan and nor will be for another 4-5 decades. I merely cited cultural reasons why public transportation would not be used by Pakistanis for going to / coming from airport. In our country, it is a big thing when a guest passenger is arriving from abroad and it would in general be considered 'impolite' if he/she was not received or seen off upon departure.

Also airports like ISB, LHE cater to people from adjoining cities like Jhelum, Gujranwala etc. As long as there is no solid public transportation system to get them from their city to ISB,LHE in first place, any transport solution from within ISB/LHE city center to airport will not make any sense. We dont have unified transportation solutions like in Germany where Emirates sometimes sells flight with train ticket included to final point.

The business passengers anyways get their transport to/from airport covered by employer. Left is a small portion of passengers you mentioned for whom instead of building whole track to the airport, they could have just run some good condition buses from certain points. There is absolutely no need to dig up so much to build a dedicated metro bus track.
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

faisal-777 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:24 pm
bukhari917 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:12 am

Western public transportation system has trust of all segments of society - so everyone is up for using it. That is not the case in Pakistan and nor will be for another 4-5 decades. I merely cited cultural reasons why public transportation would not be used by Pakistanis for going to / coming from airport. In our country, it is a big thing when a guest passenger is arriving from abroad and it would in general be considered 'impolite' if he/she was not received or seen off upon departure.

Also airports like ISB, LHE cater to people from adjoining cities like Jhelum, Gujranwala etc. As long as there is no solid public transportation system to get them from their city to ISB,LHE in first place, any transport solution from within ISB/LHE city center to airport will not make any sense. We dont have unified transportation solutions like in Germany where Emirates sometimes sells flight with train ticket included to final point.

The business passengers anyways get their transport to/from airport covered by employer. Left is a small portion of passengers you mentioned for whom instead of building whole track to the airport, they could have just run some good condition buses from certain points. There is absolutely no need to dig up so much to build a dedicated metro bus track.
I did mean a reasonable and safe Public transport facility. This does not have to be a digged out track indeed. This could be a bus service or even a special rail linking pindi and isb with airport. We have existing track not far from airport. It could be upgraded and extended to airport.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh chaired a meeting to discuss operationalization of metro bus service for Islamabad International Airport.

Cooperation from the Government of Punjab is sought for the provision of buses to start metro bus service between Peshawar Morr and Islamabad International Airport.

Capital Development Authority (CDA) has sought technical assistance from Punjab Masstransit Authority to start metro bus for Islamabad International Airport.

Metro bus will provide affordable and quality transportation service to general public travelling to & from Islamabad International Airport, says CDA.

A sub-committee has been formed for coordination between CDA and the Government of Punjab.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

August 6 photo of Metro Bus Service track between Islamabad International Airport and Peshawar Morr. Work on the project continues slowly.

Abbas

See you at: