Large home brewing EDF Concorde flying model in making...

Forum for sharing info and photos related to aircraft models from around the world.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Concorde Glider Update...

Post by ConnieMan »

Today i added couple of key flight control surfaces on the glider's wing.

Out board wing's drooped LE were incorporated.

Elevators were also incorporated on IB wings.

Nose and tail section was reinforced with light coat/layer of 12 minutes epoxy.

Next is weight and balance, then maiden flight....

Here are pictures for today.
http://img707.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture598j.jpg

I know this thread is been followed and viewed, i like to know what other picture uploading program then Imageshack do you guys use so pictures could be seen directly instead of linking them to Imageshack??. For some reason IS dosen't provide with direct pictures viewing anymore as it used to do before...
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: Large EDF powered Concorde RC model in works....

Post by ConnieMan »

Chuck Glider Flew!!!!

You guys are very first ones to know that my glider model turned out to be pure success and well worth the effort!. I did total of 25 flights starting at 50% CG and working my way till 60% CG. Model flew with different settings of elevators and on maiden flight model flew from 70Ft from launch point till it landed nose in on 30 degree angle. With 60% CG i almost got 100ft of distance covered by this model!...

http://img709.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=d ... flight.jpg

I will make full report and post it here later today as i'm exhausted now due to 4.5hrs in my shop and on the field in my back yard.

I also managed to take few flying shots by myself after i was confident with model's flying characteristics and flying performance, this is something i did for very first time in my life, so i'm very very happy with the results.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

I have also been slowly working on this model, i have made some of the fuselage templates and remaining others will be made one of these days. Since i don't have plotter capability and Cad at home, i took old school route to make the side profile of the fuselage.

It took me sometime to do this drawing but now i have drafted side profile of the fuselage and it's HUGE!!!.Don't think it's totally a sketched up drawing but it drafted on many sheets of tracing papers, it was CAD drawn initially then turned into PDF flies from which i made this side profile draft drawing. Damnn thing took whole wall between living room and kitchen.

Fuselage Templates.

Drafted side profile of the fuselage.

Line going through in the center of the fuselage is a Datum line also known as "Water line" in aircraft manufacturing industry.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Concorde's fuselage will be starting to take it's shape, i have made couple of foam blocks by lamination process, once glue is cured, i will then cut first two sub-sections from them. First one will be part of nose section F2 to F3, then 2nd will be cockpit section F3 to F4. Both will be cut from white foam. I will post there pictures in few hours from now.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Here is the 1st nose section hot wired form block of white foam.

2nd sub section is the cockpit section. As you can see i nailed on the templates on both side of the block, this has to be done right in order to get correct part. If your template are off from x axis lines, part will not cut right and will be distorted.

Part hot wired out from foam chuck.

Filler piece added to nose section...

Rest of fuselage will be made with this same process until all sections are cut and then i will make 3 sub assemblies following by joining all sub assemblies into one full fuselage.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

This section is 70" in length....

Post by ConnieMan »

Concorde's constant fuselage sections are under way now. It took me 2hrs to cut 2 larger and one smaller strips from one large green insulation foam sheet.
This sheet was 3"T x 24"W x 96"L. I use my hotwire bow to cut this into smaller 10" x 39" and 10" x 32" strips. I really wanted to make this as one complete section but due to lack of 70" long bow, i had to go with largest bow i have which is 39" long and 10" deep. Now i have 4 smaller strips ready for lamination length wise. I still have to get another large sheet if what i have is not enough but i have feeling i will make this section from what i have on hand.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

First two parts dry assembled together...(Section of the nose and cockpit section)

Abbas can you rotate this image vertically as i can't do n save in on Image shack...Thanks
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ConnieMan wrote:Abbas can you rotate this image vertically as i can't do n save in on Image shack...Thanks
You can use any photo editing software to perform that simple task before uploading the image.

Google offers 'Picasa' which is free photo editing software that can perform photo editing tasks like resizing, rotating etc.

Picasa can be downloaded for free from following link:

http://picasa.google.com/

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Abbas,

Lil while ago i tried to rotate my pics of IS and then posted them on here, but when i looked at them in preview, it was flat on the side as in above post. I tried few times and couldn't get them to be posted right, so that's why i asked you if u can do this simple thing for me.

Anyhow here i'm posting it with Picasa.google so lets see.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10888252960 ... 0405887058
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: Large home brewing EDF Concorde flying model in making..

Post by ConnieMan »

Foam sheet that i sliced last night into 2x10" wide strips were sanded from sides to get nice even surface to be glued first, then i applied Lapage's non-solvent contact cement to the sides of the strips that to be laminated together, had to leave them flat on the work table for 30 mins to de-air the cement before i joined then sheets together as a thicken laminated foam strip block. Since there were few smaller 3" x 3" foam strips that were left over as cut offs, i surfaced them also and laminted them by stacking one on top of other. Weights were placed on top of laminated block and strip stack.

Foam strips being surfaced by sanding block.

Strips glued with contact cement and left to de-air for 30 mins.

Laminated strip block under weights, this is left over night to fully cure.

Cut--off 3" x 3" strips stacked together as dry fit.

Glued then laminated by stacking these together one top of another.

I most will likely go back in the shop by tomorrow evening or night to check and then cut the center constant fuselage section.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

In above post you can see large 70" long foam block being made by laminating smaller strips together with non-solvent contact cement. In first of these pictures you will see last section of cut-off strips that was laminated earlier is being laminated to actual block before commencing hot wire cutting to make the fuselage sections.

Second set of pictures show already hot wired fuselage sections, sorry i was by myself doing this work at middle of night, so i just kept going by nailing templates and turning the foam block side ways and then hot wiring the 1/4 section one at a time from each corner of the block.
I had to cut main block into 2 pieces as i couldn't make bigger cutting bow earlier, but my 39" long low did the job for me. This process took good 4-5hrs to get where you will see in the pictures.

Legends:
LT/RT = Left n right top section/s
RB/LB = Right n left bottom section/s

These are main fuselage's center constant sections, i will now continue to make fuse's forward remaining section and aft section.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Nose section is almost complete now in terms of making parts for it, only small part that are missing are 3/4" fillet spacer and addition of pitot tube towards the finishing stages.

I also made the tailcone last night, it turned out really nice, more then i expected. I wanted to do more work but my back started to act up, so i had called a nite then.

Also adding picture of fuselage cross section. All the cross section shapes of these parts are off actual BAC-SUD's aerodynamic 3 views of Concorde. So shape and profile wise, my model is as accurate as are real aircraft is.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

I have been away for sometime but now i'm back, main reason for being away is the severely deteriorating health condition of my father and my brother in LHE. Times are tough on my family as at any given time we could lose both or one!, Drs have given hope of any recovery for my father who is presently hospitalized and same for my brother. Pls pray for them as it's best them not to suffer as that's the worse ordeal for patients and there families.

While i was away, there were times when things were not to so bad as present so i used to work on my project, made a lot of progress so far on it. I'm posting pictures of what have been done so far but i don't have enough time to explain every step of the now but later on i will and answer all your questions you may have. Model's scale has been increased from original 1/14th to now 1/12th scale, it's 17 feet long model now with wingspan of 7 feet!!...

(It's same length of my van now Vs when picture was taken!)

Light cardboard template was made of the tail/fin that also included dorsal fin extension.

raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

Sameer, May Allah bless your father and brother with good health (Ameen)

And thanks for updating on the project. The model seems awesome even it is not ready yet :thumbs_up:

What is the reason for changing the model scale from 1:14 to 1:12?
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Thanks for the well wishes n duass for my father, his condition has very slowly started to ever so slightly improve but he is still not out of danger yet...

I found bit of time to relax over the weekend and made "Nose's pivot drooping structure" and attached to the inner end of the nose which can be seen at the bottom of the cockpit area.

There was also a concern about the thickness of the wing at the location where retracts will mount. I re measured the spar and it is 1-3/4" thick at this location itself. Once skin sheeting will be added on both top and bottom of the wing's structure, total thickness of the wing will be 2". This will easily accept retracts in the present space.

In above pictures nose is drooped well below 12.50 degrees as it's on production aircrafts.

Wing's thickness delima solved...

Showing actual thickness of the spar with measuring tape.

Measuring tape showing added 3/32" sheeting above and below the spar's thickness.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us