PIA or PAF's 11 foot WS C130's RC model's build thread!!!

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: PIA or PAF's 11 foot WS C130's RC model's build thread!!!

Post by ConnieMan »

yousaf465 wrote:Doesn't this material requires a bit more of care for handling ?
What do you mean, what material are you referring to Yousaf...
Who's miss handling what, i didn't get your point..
yousaf465
Registered Member

Post by yousaf465 »

ConnieMan wrote:
yousaf465 wrote:Doesn't this material requires a bit more of care for handling ?
What do you mean, what material are you referring to Yousaf...
Who's miss handling what, i didn't get your point..
I was referring to bead white foam
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Yes actually you do have to be very careful while handling them, specially when you are moving them around. Tips on TE can easily break off, plus if you hold the parts harder, you can press into the foam surface and cause depression there.

I keep these parts in it's foam crutch box most of the time, when i want to work on them, that is when i pull them out and work on them. These foam parts will become very strong once i sheet them on both sides with 3/32" balsa sheeting followed by a layer of fiber glass.

Here is a picture of crutch box.
Last edited by ConnieMan on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yousaf465
Registered Member

Post by yousaf465 »

Thats is allot of engineering, from where did you got those aircraft seats ?
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Yes it is, scratch building is not everybody's cup of tea.

Those are from ex-CAF's B707s, i juss happened to find them at an auction.
yousaf465
Registered Member

Post by yousaf465 »

Is this C-130 out of the production line ? Any photos if completed. What livery it will be sporting
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Yousaf this model was never intended to be kitted by the designer when design was released in year 2000, so for the longest time only plans were available for it. People who wanted to build it were buying plans form the designer and had to buy there own wood to build this model, hence my model was also built purely by hand cut wood. Now that original designer has passed away a laser kit cutting company taken over the most of his line and now you can buy laser short kit and plans from them.

I will look and see if i can fine pictures of past completed model and post them on here for you to see how it looks once completed.

As for livery, i'm still not sure what i will chose for my model. Since all PAF's C130s n L100s are similar to each other as standard model, i suppose any livery could be applied to replicate one of real bird's.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Here are few pictures of near finished/finished models from these plans and short kits..

Cockpit Interior

It makes me feel better that i am not the only nut case out there when it comes to giant scale rc models!! :)
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Something unthinkable happened to my C130 model today!!!!

Well this idiot friend of my brother went in the storage room to get something where i have my Arrow hanging on angle from the ceiling so all going in there can see it and keep there distance from it, my C130 is sitting behind it on the table until i get to work on it again!. Well this goof was blind enough not to see HUGE Arrow model hanging there and somehow banged his head or shoulder or something on it, it fell from tail end hitting its right wing on left Stabilizer of my C130 and breaking its stab right at the root rib!!, i just can't believe how blind he is not to see THIS huge model hanging there in front of him, it just burned me and triggered me off to NO END!!! :very_mad: :very_mad: :flamed: :flamed:

I am not sure how i can get around to fix it as whole structure is badly damaged at the root joint and most of the left side ribs are split open in half, i wanted to speak my mind to him but my brother stopped me from it !!!! :flamed: :flamed:

I'm not even sure how i can get the stabilizer out of the fuselage itself without taking off the fin at this point!, now this is another thing i have to fix on this model that i didn't have to!!!!!! :very_mad: :very_mad:

Here are pictures of the damage and how Arrow was/is hanging from the ceiling. I was so MAD at that time, i couldn't take a picture when i saw Arrow just hanging from forward fuselage and rest of it was on-top of the stuff under it's left wing and right wing and tail were on the ground!!!!. I went in and re-hanged the Arrow before i could see the damage properly....

http://img200.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture473s.jpg
yousaf465
Registered Member

Post by yousaf465 »

Well it seems to be extensive damage, but I think you could able to repair it. This happen when some unconcerned person gets into the way. I also lost my only model when my aunt threw the box containing fuselage into the dustbin :very_mad: :very_mad: . That was a complete loss of fuselage, but this can be repaired with some effort.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Yousaf i totally understand where you are coming from!, something similar has happened to me in past also. As for this damage i'm still fuming over it, it's going to take a while before i will calm!!!.
It's not like i can go to hobby store or order online a stabilizer replacement kit for it or a wing/fin kit for it!, this particular model is pure scratch built model and every part on this is hand cut and then assembled together to make it, so now i might have to rebuilt whole stabilizer right from scratch as it seems....it's like another road block with bolder thrown on it for me on this model!!... :very_mad: :very_mad: :flamed:
yousaf465
Registered Member

Post by yousaf465 »

ConnieMan wrote:Yousaf i totally understand where you are coming from!, something similar has happened to me in past also. As for this damage i'm still fuming over it, it's going to take a while before i will calm!!!.
It's not like i can go to hobby store or order online a stabilizer replacement kit for it or a wing/fin kit for it!, this particular model is pure scratch built model and every part on this is hand cut and then assembled together to make it, so now i might have to rebuilt whole stabilizer right from scratch as it seems....it's like another road block with bolder thrown on it for me on this model!!... :very_mad: :very_mad: :flamed:
It will take some time but I think it will repaired to it old glory. Just wait and it will work out.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Well i couldn't wait much longer!, though i'm still peeved and upset on whole incident but went in with my X-Acto knife and carefully took off the top sheeting from the damaged left stabilizer. I made sure i was cutting at the joints and not into the wood of other parts.

Upon internal inspection of the structure, what i noticed that both top and bottom forward spars were merely glued to the top and bottom skin sheeting only!!! #-o :shock: :shock:. I am not sure what previous original builder had in mind when building this model as all i could see some glue spots on top of ribs to attach skin sheeting on them!!!. Damage is quite a bit and will take a lot of time to get fixed properly, i am already looking at making newer stabilizer now and also to mount it at +2 degrees incidence vs -2 presently!!..

Here are pictures of damaged internal structure....
http://img5.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture484r.jpg
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

This is what i found under the skin in-terms of forward spars not being glued to the former yet just to the skin sheeting!!.

Plans vs my model:
http://img43.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture492t.jpg
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

I am currently taking time off from working on this model due to what just happened plus my father is going for neck surgery on Wednesday morning. I will get back on this massive project in 1-1/2 to 2 weeks time frame, hopefully with fresh mind and re-start.

Options under consideration are to make one piece newer stabilizer with added spar in the middle to pick up proper weight and stresses OR make plug-in type of stabilizer with removable wing panels that would be installed with wing tube and tied up with blind nuts and bolts to the root ribs. This option will allow easier transportation of this model to the event's and flying fields...