PIA ATR 42-500 (AP-BHO) Slips off at Lahore Airport

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
zainmax
Registered Member

Post by zainmax »

Pilot was warned by tower about the wind but he still decided to land from that direction as it would save a loop and time to land at Lahore.
This is very early determined cause.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Is inspection of AP-BHO damage complete? Is the aircraft repairable or damaged beyond economic repair?

I hope AP-BHO returns to service soon.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
pk363
Registered Member

Post by pk363 »

^ I hope so too Abbas

This appears to be most probably a pilot error, the investigations will establish that firmly (little chance of report being ever made public) and from knowing the past incidents a few causes that come to my mind;

1. Pilot was over stressed because operating continous flights with little rest in between.
2. He was drunk
3. Was having somebody in cockpit not allowed to be there and giving a chance to land.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

It will be difficult to know how or why this incident happened because in Pakistan usually aircraft accident reports are not released to media or general public. I still hope PIA or CAA officials release initial findings of crash investigation to media or issue some sort of statement telling how or why this incident happened.

I think ATR officials also will visit Pakistan to assess the damage sustained by AP-BHO. And if the aircraft is repairable then I guess it will be repaired by PIA Engineering under the supervision of ATR team.

Abbas

See you at:
riz
Registered Member

Post by riz »

pk363 wrote:^ I hope so too Abbas

This appears to be most probably a pilot error, the investigations will establish that firmly (little chance of report being ever made public) and from knowing the past incidents a few causes that come to my mind;

1. Pilot was over stressed because operating continous flights with little rest in between.
2. He was drunk
3. Was having somebody in cockpit not allowed to be there and giving a chance to land.

cant it be a blame on captain?

i will try to gather some info. tomorrow (Monday) if the airbus lets me go for a while.
Last edited by riz on Sun May 31, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R 1 z .

PK > EK. EI ED FZ WY B6 G9 EY NL QR GF TG PF.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Was AP-BHO landing performed by First Officer or Captain?

According to English daily 'The News' (May 31 edition) strong wind played role in this incident.
Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flight PK-688 skidded off the runway onto the unpaved ground with chunks flying off the aircraft, as the pilot landed the aircraft with the wind at its tail, contrary to the usual practice of landing into the headwind.

Sources at the control tower revealed that flight PK-688, coming from Multan to Lahore on its arrival at the Lahore Airport, faced a comparatively stronger than usual wind.

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Following newsreport blames malfunctioning landing gear for the accident.

PIA ATR 42-500 at Lahore on May 30th 2009, veered off runway on landing

By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, May 31st 2009 12:34Z, last updated Sunday, May 31st 2009 12:40Z

The crew of a PIA Pakistan International Airlines Aerospatiale ATR 42-500, flight PK-688 from Multan to Lahore (Pakistan) with 43 passengers and 4 crew, lost control of the airplane after touch down at at Lahore's runway, the airplane veered off the runway and got stuck in soft ground. Seven passengers received minor injuries, the airplane sustained unknown damage.

According to Pakistan's Civil Aviation Authority the landing gear suffered a malfunction after touch down causing the crew to lose control of the airplane. Seven passengers were treated at the airport. An investigation has been launched into the accident.

No Metars are available for Lahore.

Source: avherald.com

See you at:
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

pk363 wrote:^ I hope so too Abbas

This appears to be most probably a pilot error,..........the past incidents a few causes that come to my mind;

2. He was drunk
Utterly spaculative, highly unprofessional and crossing the limits of decency even. I am appalled at the imagination of PK363.. Thank god he did not blame the pilot for not being in the cockpit and having fun with someone in his hotel room.
How sad, none of the members having any info about the accident PK-363 has put the poor pilot under the sword
SM
Registered Member

Post by SM »

Hi All,

I thought everyone interested in this thread would like to get visuals to what happened in Lahore.

Here are some shots on the subject from my friend Naveed Riaz:

I hope everyone finds this informative.

Regards,
SM
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Thank you SM for sharing :thumbs_up: Appreciate it very much.

After looking at these photos, I think AP-BHO can be repaired.

Abbas

See you at:
Raza_Ali
Registered Member

Post by Raza_Ali »

The nose gear seems to be almost gone and Left Gear is also damaged to some extent.
riz
Registered Member

Post by riz »

Thats really heartbreaking.
R 1 z .

PK > EK. EI ED FZ WY B6 G9 EY NL QR GF TG PF.
WindShear
Registered Member

Post by WindShear »

thats a pilot error for sure, either he was approaching too fast and then couldnt control i dont think the cross wind was such a problem to handle
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

Oh dear is it going to cost alot, will the pilot be suspended?
bernyjee
Registered Member

Post by bernyjee »

Cockpit crew is always supposed to follow the instructions given by the control tower.

IF control tower told cockpit crew to not land aircraft in a specific direction (as suggested by some posters here) due to wind speed AND cockpit crew acted against that order, then cockpit crew should be held responsible and their career to be ended.

Aircraft Captain bears most responsibility in this case.