JFK to ISB Trip Report on BA - June 2019

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
FKhan722
Registered Member

JFK to ISB Trip Report on BA - June 2019

Post by FKhan722 »

Hi Guys,

Put a little picture/info trip report together for the outbound sectors of my trip - JFK to ISB on BA in June of 2019.

Click the Link and enjoy!!

Best Regards,

F. Khan
amjid84
Registered Member

Re: JFK to ISB Trip Report on BA - June 2019

Post by amjid84 »

Thanks for Sharing - I was waiting for someone to post a review to see the offering from BA after the resumption of ISB flights.
FKhan722
Registered Member

Post by FKhan722 »

^Your welcome amjid84

Here's part 2 - the return to JFK from ISB..enjoy!!

Best Regards!!

F. Khan
arshad.altaf
Registered Member

Post by arshad.altaf »

F. Khan sahib, well done! Very well made, enjoyed both videos.

Arshad
ba260
Registered Member

Post by ba260 »

Thanks for making this video.

What was your overall opinion of your journey on BA, and ISB new airport? Also how was the load?
AC Flown: 717, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787, A220, A319, A320, A321, A321, A330, A350, A380, CRJ200, CRJ500, CRJ700, CRJ900, Cessna 172, E145, E170, E175, E190, MD-11, and MD-80.

EA, PA, AF, NZ, AA, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, LA, LH, NW, PK, QF, QR, SV, TK, UA, US, & VA.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Excellent work! Enjoyed watching + reading.

Thank you for sharing.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
FKhan722
Registered Member

Post by FKhan722 »

A little written info now also..

I decided to plan and take this trip after watching a Pakistani movie called Parvaaz Hai Junoon. I was taken aback by the beauty of the locations used in that movie. It also has an awesome song "main urra". My intra-Pakistan trip consisted of Kaghan, Naran, Lake Saif-ul-Malook, Lalazar and Murree/Lower Topa. Best trip in a very long time!!

At the time of booking - I had the option of the regular ME3 or PIA via Toronto. Immediately prior to almost booking on Qatar or Emirates, I was invited to London. The only options now were BA for a JFK-ISB-LHR-JFK or 2 separate tickets i.e. JFK-LHR-JFK and one for LHR-ISB-LHR. I chose the former.

I purchased at BA.Com knowing well that this would limit me to 1 suitcase with a weight of no more than 23kgs. The alternative option was to go via a travel agent who was guaranteeing 2 pieces. Prices via the travel agent were a little bit higher. On a side note, my family (wife and three kids) were traveling also, so we had a limit of 5 suitcases, 5 carry on's and 5 personal items. I personally love to travel light so the purchase from BA.com was the way to go. This luggage allowance was way more than enough for us.

I'll skip the JFK to LHR portion of the review.

BA 261 Sunday June 9th, 2019
Departure LHR - 2115hrs, Arrival ISB - 0925
BA 787-800 - G-ZBJE

Check in at LHR - Not Applicable - my luggage was checked all the way to ISB from JFK.

Security and Immigration were uneventful.

Boarding - I was remarkably surprised by the patience and "tameez" by the passengers at time of boarding. No Pushing, no shoving, no crowding the gate. A couple of families with older kids were turned away from the gate at the time of Pre-Boarding - because a 10 year old child doesn't fit the "if you need extra time to board because of travelling with kids - please come forward". The rule was good for families with at least a stroller aged kid.
Once on board - the flight was extremely full. There was not one seat empty in the entire economy or economy plus cabins. I'm not sure about Club World. I was a little disappointed by the behavior of some passengers. A middle aged man refused to turn his cell phone off. He kept talking while we were turning onto the active runway. After being given one final stern warning by the cabin services manager he put his phone down. Another was a lady who chose to sit at a window seat - despite her boarding pass saying otherwise. That particular block of 3 belonged to a family of 3. She had the audacity to tell the husband/male of that family to find a seat elsewhere because she was comfortable. Once again the senior purser had to intervene, she finally moved after being threatened to be offloaded.

Inflight - Take off was smooth. First came the snacks, then came the main meal. Options included Chicken or Pasta. I chose the former. Pics are visible in the video trip report. Lights were turned off upon completion of the meal service. At this point it gave me a chance to chat with some flight members. Highlight points of my conversations included the following:

1) Cabin crew members are NOT Afraid to travel to ISB contrary to the News in the SUN. I specifically brought that part up. They said that they are more likely to be shot by a mad man in the USA. No cabin crew members are being forced to do the route - she went on to say that people are actually signing up for the route so that they get to see a new city, and have at least 48-72 hours rest in a world class hotel.

2)Another cabin crew member told me that there have already been internal emails about either upgrading to a 777-300er or a 747-400 if they remain thrice weekly, or going daily with a 787 variant - 788 or 789. Economy is completely sold out for the entire summer season. The only concern was that they haven't filled/sold future seats in the Club world cabin. That is where they make the money.

Sunrise was over Azerbaijan. About 90 minutes prior to landing breakfast was served. There was a little uproar in the cabin upon seeing a sausage in the breakfast tray. The uproar was in regards to whether it was halal or not. An announcement was made to calm all passengers down. It was a Veal sausage and the Cabin services manager verified it's halal authenticity and reiterated that ALL meals on not just this sector but all sectors between London and a Muslim majority country were indeed halal. Some people refused to eat it anyway.

No Disembarkation cards were distributed - I learned later that those are no longer needed - (Haven't travelled to Pakistan since 2006 - at that time they were required). Landing was smooth and uneventful. I was pleasantly surprised to see NOT ONE passenger stood up to deplane while we were actually taxiing. I have seen plenty of those during my life.

Immigration, Baggage reclaim and customs completed within 35 minutes of arrival. Landside at the 35 minute mark. ISB airport was impressive.

Overall Journey on BA was great - cant blame BA for the behavior of the passengers.
Loads were 100% in both Economy and Economy plus on my flights

Will review ISB airport and the return flight if you guys are interested.

One last thing - if you guys haven't seen the places mentioned above in Pakistan - please add them to your bucket list!!

Best Regards,

F. Khan
fahadshakeel
Registered Member

Post by fahadshakeel »

Perfect review and waiting for return review. Although I have seen the videos couple of times but following this tread to know more.
Since I am interested to take same route only if:
1. IFE is good & super hit movies unlike EY or QR. They have mostly old or low budget movies.

2. Inflight internet is available

3. They don’t use a380s for LHR-JFK. EY uses it and it takes hell of time in loading / unloading. So far I am using QR at priority if going to JFK or EY other than JFK

4. Is Their miles/loyalty program is exciting? I love Etihad guest program as it’s damn exciting and if there is delay or seat issue or service problem they are generous to compensate in miles, they also offer free upgrades to members. QR’s mile program is below avg.

I travel around world on almost every alternate month from Lahore but can go through ISB if it’s worth.
Connecting Businesses through Travels
ba260
Registered Member

Post by ba260 »

Thanks for the in depth review! Love to see the 747 at ISB, though I prefer whatever aircraft that has the latest products and amenities.
AC Flown: 717, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787, A220, A319, A320, A321, A321, A330, A350, A380, CRJ200, CRJ500, CRJ700, CRJ900, Cessna 172, E145, E170, E175, E190, MD-11, and MD-80.

EA, PA, AF, NZ, AA, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, LA, LH, NW, PK, QF, QR, SV, TK, UA, US, & VA.
fawad
Registered Member

Post by fawad »

FKhan722 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:33 pm Hi Guys,

Put a little picture/info trip report together for the outbound sectors of my trip - JFK to ISB on BA in June of 2019.

Click the Link and enjoy!!

Best Regards,

F. Khan
Why do you say "It will take longer due to Pakistan airspace ban"? How does Pak Airspace ban effect flights from the west?
FKhan722
Registered Member

Post by FKhan722 »

^Most flights to India from London at that time were flying south of Karachi and then turning north towards India. Not sure if they are still doing that now. A quick look at BA143 LHR to Delhi today is doing the same!

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW143/2146fa0d

and Air-India also...

https://www.flightradar24.com/AIC162/21475570

Thanks!!
harry786
Registered Member

Post by harry786 »

Loved your trip reports on Ba! Could you please share more about your trip to northern Pakistan too along with some pictures maybe? Thanks

FKhan722 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:25 pm A little written info now also..

I decided to plan and take this trip after watching a Pakistani movie called Parvaaz Hai Junoon. I was taken aback by the beauty of the locations used in that movie. It also has an awesome song "main urra". My intra-Pakistan trip consisted of Kaghan, Naran, Lake Saif-ul-Malook, Lalazar and Murree/Lower Topa. Best trip in a very long time!!

At the time of booking - I had the option of the regular ME3 or PIA via Toronto. Immediately prior to almost booking on Qatar or Emirates, I was invited to London. The only options now were BA for a JFK-ISB-LHR-JFK or 2 separate tickets i.e. JFK-LHR-JFK and one for LHR-ISB-LHR. I chose the former.

I purchased at BA.Com knowing well that this would limit me to 1 suitcase with a weight of no more than 23kgs. The alternative option was to go via a travel agent who was guaranteeing 2 pieces. Prices via the travel agent were a little bit higher. On a side note, my family (wife and three kids) were traveling also, so we had a limit of 5 suitcases, 5 carry on's and 5 personal items. I personally love to travel light so the purchase from BA.com was the way to go. This luggage allowance was way more than enough for us.

I'll skip the JFK to LHR portion of the review.

BA 261 Sunday June 9th, 2019
Departure LHR - 2115hrs, Arrival ISB - 0925
BA 787-800 - G-ZBJE

Check in at LHR - Not Applicable - my luggage was checked all the way to ISB from JFK.

Security and Immigration were uneventful.

Boarding - I was remarkably surprised by the patience and "tameez" by the passengers at time of boarding. No Pushing, no shoving, no crowding the gate. A couple of families with older kids were turned away from the gate at the time of Pre-Boarding - because a 10 year old child doesn't fit the "if you need extra time to board because of travelling with kids - please come forward". The rule was good for families with at least a stroller aged kid.
Once on board - the flight was extremely full. There was not one seat empty in the entire economy or economy plus cabins. I'm not sure about Club World. I was a little disappointed by the behavior of some passengers. A middle aged man refused to turn his cell phone off. He kept talking while we were turning onto the active runway. After being given one final stern warning by the cabin services manager he put his phone down. Another was a lady who chose to sit at a window seat - despite her boarding pass saying otherwise. That particular block of 3 belonged to a family of 3. She had the audacity to tell the husband/male of that family to find a seat elsewhere because she was comfortable. Once again the senior purser had to intervene, she finally moved after being threatened to be offloaded.

Inflight - Take off was smooth. First came the snacks, then came the main meal. Options included Chicken or Pasta. I chose the former. Pics are visible in the video trip report. Lights were turned off upon completion of the meal service. At this point it gave me a chance to chat with some flight members. Highlight points of my conversations included the following:

1) Cabin crew members are NOT Afraid to travel to ISB contrary to the News in the SUN. I specifically brought that part up. They said that they are more likely to be shot by a mad man in the USA. No cabin crew members are being forced to do the route - she went on to say that people are actually signing up for the route so that they get to see a new city, and have at least 48-72 hours rest in a world class hotel.

2)Another cabin crew member told me that there have already been internal emails about either upgrading to a 777-300er or a 747-400 if they remain thrice weekly, or going daily with a 787 variant - 788 or 789. Economy is completely sold out for the entire summer season. The only concern was that they haven't filled/sold future seats in the Club world cabin. That is where they make the money.

Sunrise was over Azerbaijan. About 90 minutes prior to landing breakfast was served. There was a little uproar in the cabin upon seeing a sausage in the breakfast tray. The uproar was in regards to whether it was halal or not. An announcement was made to calm all passengers down. It was a Veal sausage and the Cabin services manager verified it's halal authenticity and reiterated that ALL meals on not just this sector but all sectors between London and a Muslim majority country were indeed halal. Some people refused to eat it anyway.

No Disembarkation cards were distributed - I learned later that those are no longer needed - (Haven't travelled to Pakistan since 2006 - at that time they were required). Landing was smooth and uneventful. I was pleasantly surprised to see NOT ONE passenger stood up to deplane while we were actually taxiing. I have seen plenty of those during my life.

Immigration, Baggage reclaim and customs completed within 35 minutes of arrival. Landside at the 35 minute mark. ISB airport was impressive.

Overall Journey on BA was great - cant blame BA for the behavior of the passengers.
Loads were 100% in both Economy and Economy plus on my flights

Will review ISB airport and the return flight if you guys are interested.

One last thing - if you guys haven't seen the places mentioned above in Pakistan - please add them to your bucket list!!

Best Regards,

F. Khan
fawad
Registered Member

Post by fawad »

FKhan722 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:24 pm ^Most flights to India from London at that time were flying south of Karachi and then turning north towards India. Not sure if they are still doing that now. A quick look at BA143 LHR to Delhi today is doing the same!

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW143/2146fa0d

and Air-India also...

https://www.flightradar24.com/AIC162/21475570

Thanks!!
To India, yes but how does that affect your flight from LHR to ISB which you mention in the video?
harry786
Registered Member

Post by harry786 »

He had a picture of an Air India 777 when he said that. He was referring to the Air India bird as it would take that plane longer to get home.
FKhan722
Registered Member

Post by FKhan722 »

^ Thank you Harry786 for the clarification. I was referring to Air India Bird when I made that comment!!

And now for the ISB to LHR review --

Hi all,

Following is the review from ISB to LHR, I will again skip the LHR to JFK Review

BA 260 - June24th, 2019
ISB - LHR
Dep 11:10am - Arrival 16:00
Boeing 787-800 G-ZBJG

After having the time of my life in my 2 week trip to Islamabad and to Pakistan's Northern areas - it was time to head home (Via London).

Airport Arrival / Check In - we arrived at the New Islamabad Airport by 8:15 a.m. I opted to choose a Porter since i was very tired. It cost me 500 rupees to "MAKE A CHIT" and then I was told that tipping is optional. I had checked in on BA.COM 24 hours prior. The ASF agent checked my cell phone, and after reviewing all 5 boarding passes he allowed us into the departure lounge. immediately upon arrival into the lounge, I noticed that the air conditioning had a very powerful cooling effect which made it very relaxing in the terminal building. The Porter put the luggage through the initial baggage x-ray screening machine. After that, we made our way over to the British airways check in desks. The Check in agent was very pleasant - after reviewing our passports, the check-in agent provided us with paper boarding passes. Once again, very pleasant guy at the check-in desk. After all check in formalities were completed, I tipped the Porter and he too was on his way.

Security and Immigration- Security was uneventful. The lines for immigration were very long, however all counters were open and it was relatively painless. We got a smile from the immigration officer. He thanked us for visiting Pakistan and wished us a safe flight. He was very friendly to my children also.

Airside: not many options to eat or drink. There was a Relay store, and 2 air side restaurants to choose from. We picked up some coffee and sandwiches for breakfast from a restaurant called Bread and Co. The only other store was Coffee Planet.. I walked around to explore the airport. On the far end at either side were smoking terrace's. Bathrooms were spotless and the airport was thoroughly clean. I noticed an airport supervisor screaming and yelling/berating a fellow employee. The employee had a genuine look of embarrassment on his face. I think they were CAA employees responsible for day to day airport operations of some sort. I felt like telling the supervisor that one of the basic rules of being a good and effective leader is to always to praise in public and criticize in private. Once again, I was so tired that I decided to stay out of it.

Boarding : boarding started on time at 10:30 a.m. Once again I was very impressed with the boarding process by British airways. People were patient and very well behaved. Nobody was cutting ahead of anybody else. Everyone was on board by 11:00 a.m.

Onboard : Once again the flight was fully booked. After departure/take off - I actually walked around the plane and I noted that there were a total of 2 empty seats. Once again, I do not know the load of Club World. Premium Economy was also full as it was visible to me from my seat. Push back was on time and take off was more or less on time. I have videos of the takeoff and landing into ISB - will post if anybody is interested. I noted, that the takeoff was pretty steep - I guess because of the safety reasons that we all have discussed about on this forum - they wanted to get to the Cruising altitude as soon as possible. Seatbelt signs were switched off within 15-20 minutes

1st service: This included just drinks. On the other 3 sectors I was given 2 cans of Coke, however on this particular sector was only offered 1.
2nd service: Included lunch. I did not enjoy this lunch at all. Food was bland and had no taste. Pictures of the lunch are visible on the trip report. Additionally, lunch was followed by the offering of coffee and/or Tea
3rd service: Snacks which included pretzels and chocolate bars
4th service : drinks which included orange juice and or water on a tray
5th service: semi hot meal which included pasta and a chicken/pizza role
6th service: Drinks again - Orange juice and water on a tray

On this flight, I had a very annoying child sitting behind me. He constantly kicked my seat or constantly looked over into my row and dropped items. I politely asked his mother to keep an eye on him. She did not. After 45 minutes of repetitive kicking, I asked the cabin crew to intervene, after the cabin crew spoke with the child's mother there were no further issues.

Inflight entertainment - my personal TV screen had to be rebooted twice before it actually worked. Entertainment was okay. For anybody interested in regards to the content of the IFE - they can visit BA.com and look for themselves as to what is playing this month. I enjoyed Creed 2. There was also a very interesting PODCAST on the in flight entertainment program in regards to ISB. It's definitely a must listen FOR future travelers. I did not use the in flight wifi - neither did I care to look at what they offered since I was too busy enjoying flying. I can surf the NET at home.

We circled for about 20 minutes prior to the arrival into LHR. landing was smooth and uneventful. Taxied over to the very same gate that we departed from.

immigration and customs were uneventful - got onto our hotel shuttle and relaxed for the rest of the evening in London.

I spoke to the British airways cabin crew, and they all genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed their stay and hospitality in Islamabad. They were not afraid at any given point, and stated that they actually look forward to being rescheduled on this flight at ANYTIME in the future. They felt in 1 cabin crew member's words - "VIP Dignitaries".

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Pakistan on BA and would not hesitate to fly with them again. It sucks how time flies when one is having fun :(

I will come up with another you tube video for the Intra-Pakistan trip soon. Watch this space. Until then enjoy this song -

Thanks for reading.

Best Regards

F. Khan