Karachi (KHI) to London (LHR) to 16 April 2017

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Karachi (KHI) to London (LHR) to 16 April 2017

Post by Zulfiqar »

Photos from my return journey.
Some comments about the return trips are summarised.
The road leading to JIAP had a big backlog of cars waiting to be cleared by security. It took about 20 minutes to get past this. Following that the queues were not that bad and check-in was surprisingly quick despite the fact that it was a packed 773 (AP-BHW) flight. Most economy seats were occupied.

The local craft shops after immigration were shut, perhaps they are making way for new shops (under new management?)

domestic terminal

A few shots of Air Arabia flight taxiing to the International terminal. Notice the air brakes/spoilers still deployed.

Qatar A330-F landing in the background

Sniffer dogs on the tarmac.

Another view of the domestic a bit later

Qatar 788 getting ready to depart for Doha

PIA 773 AP-BHW being prepared. The aircraft arrived earlier from lahore ahead of schedule. So i expected a timely departure from KHI.

Boarding through the recently installed boarding bridges. Much better air conditioning than the previous ones, and also much more welcoming with the tinted glass rather than a hot metal container.

One day i'll fly away. A pigeon resting on the wing.

We were pushed back about 30 minutes later than the scheduled 10:50. Take off was at 11:30.

Flights from/to Dubai and Riyadh.

A PIA A320 took off right ahead of us and another was following us to the runway.

A green and white mop (good choice of colours) left in the toilet. Perhaps for self service, just in case.

There were about 2 toilets that had issues. One where the tap had no water. Another one with the drains not working.

Row 60 A-B-C had the handsets missing and the leads taped up (I was siting on 60 A) and the screens were not working. An announcement by crew apologised to those passengers who had no IFE as 'the aircraft is being refurbished'. I checked that many others screens were actually working. However I do not think any headphones were handed out.

Look above the overhead luggage bins. You will see a thick layer of dust.

Lunch- Rice and chicken (with spicy tomato sauce)- no raita or salad. For dessert a dryish sponge cake with chocolate layer on top.

Snack- chicken and cheese sandwich- i think! I took a bite before remembering to take the picture.

We started to descend about 20 minutes before landing and headed straight to Heathrow, with without circling (a rare event). The landing was at 15:25, 10 minutes before the scheduled 15:35 arrival time. Despite a cross wind, a very smooth landing at Heathrow... well done captain!

Aegean A320

After disembarking- PIA 773 AP-BHW. Looks good from outside but needs a deep clean inside. Also, they need a better air freshener. The smell on entering the aircraft was not very pleasant and it lingered throughout. There was no instrumental music being played on boarding, however it was played after landing at Heathrow. The crew were very pleasant throughout the flight.
raihans
Registered Member

Re: Karachi (KHI) to London (LHR) to 16 April 2017

Post by raihans »

excellent captures, thanks for sharing your experience :thumbs_up:

meal seems delicious though not good without raita.
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

From spots in some of the photos it seems Karachi Airport terminal building windows need to be cleaned.

PIA Boeing 777 interior also looking dirty in photos posted here.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Vaqar Khan
Registered Member

Post by Vaqar Khan »

Thanks for sharing the report! Sad to see the aircraft in such a state of neglect.
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

Isn't BHW the latest 777 delivered?
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
ahsan22
Registered Member

Post by ahsan22 »

I travelled on the same flight and witnessed the mop as well :D.

Food was just about ok the desert/cake and the sandwich were on the drier side indicating they are not fresh. My wife and children left most of it.

On the outbound flight to Lahore salad was served and I was bit surprised to see it missing on inbound flight. Also on the outbound flight there was a choice between Lamb and chicken which was missing on inbound. There is no chance of running out as I was sitting in the tail section where the service actually starts. Is there a chance Lahoris are better served? I think there is a need to standardise these things.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

faisal-777 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:00 pm Isn't BHW the latest 777 delivered?
AP-BID built in 2008 is the youngest Boeing 777 in PIA fleet.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at: