London (LHR) to Karachi (KHI) 05 April 2017

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

London (LHR) to Karachi (KHI) 05 April 2017

Post by Zulfiqar »

I tried to book my flight on the PIA website but had problem with the credit card interaction. Even with different browser and different computers I had no joy. I called the customer services and they told me to try the old website. I was already on it. The other option was to buy my ticket at Heathrow but pay additional 7 %. In the end I bought my ticket through a travel agent.

I arrived at Heathrow just less than 3 hours to go before the 19:55 flight. Check in was quick and smooth. Also the security did not take a long time. At 18:25 Gate 20 (on time) was shown on the flight information displays. There seem to be a good load but many passengers were only transiting in Karachi on way to Islamabad/Lahore/Peshawar etc. (The flight earlier that day to ISB must have been packed).

The flight deck crew were busy with their preparations.

However, at 19:40 as we suspected a short delay was announced for some reason ( i could not hear the announcement very well). After about 30 minutes, we were asked to board according to row numbers). On board there was an unpleasant odour and no music. However, after a while we got unsensitized to the smell and the instrumental music came on.
After boarding it was announced that the delay was due to some emergency equipment that had to be on board, and without it they could not fly. PIA had to get this (from somewhere). I wondered how they flew from KHI to LHR without this essential 'emergency equipment'?

Anyway, the equipment arrived at about 20:40 and ground staff were told to leave. We pushed back at 20:50 with arrival in KHI estimated to be about 8:15 am. Luckily we did not wait for long to roll-off and were airborne by 21:00.

I found the Humsafar magazine (Dec-March edition). Some nice stories and messages from the CEO and some advertisement for new (re-introduced) destinations. Also ads for the hotels in Paris and New York.

domestic destinations

international destinations

dinner
ginger chicken; vegetable biryani; daal; salad 9with apple (no raita); chocolate mouse cake

breakfast

pillow/cushion cover

seat covers
headrest cover

shades of blue and orange at sunrise.

We landed at around 08:20. Sorry, no photos after we landed.
On Domestic terminal were a couple of PIA A320; On International terminal were Qatar 788 ; some PIA A320 ; PIA-Flypgs (or flypigs as I always read it) 738 was leaving. On the parking ramps Air China A332; Shaheen A319 and A320s. Also saw a PIA training academy Cessna 172N Skyhawk aircraft take off after we landed.

Immigration queues were not that long as there were abouit 5-6 immigration dealing with the passengers. The luggage started coming on the belt just after I cleared the immigration (about 8:40). Not bad! As the allowance for passengers is between 40 - 60 Kg, people had loads to luggage. One lady travelling had 9 pieces. however, it took another hour for my single 19 Kg suitcase to appear. I assumed i had paid the price of checking in a bit too early at Heathrow.
Last edited by Zulfiqar on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vaqar Khan
Registered Member

Re: London (LHR) to Karachi (KHI) 05 April 2017

Post by Vaqar Khan »

Thanks for sharing the trip report. The aircraft interior seems pretty tired. :(
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Humsafar magazine cover looks beautiful.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

Vaqar and Abbas, thanks for the comments.

Yes the magazine looked attractive. They can do a lot more to inform people about the airline and generate income by advertising.

Although the advertisements look good, I wonder how many PIA passengers stay at hotels advertised?
GEnx
Registered Member

Post by GEnx »

Abbas Ali wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:42 am Humsafar magazine cover looks beautiful.

Abbas
However, the magazine is still showing PIA's retired aircraft, Boeing 747 on its pages (flying a curved path).
uzkt01
Registered Member

Post by uzkt01 »

GEnx wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 am
Abbas Ali wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:42 am Humsafar magazine cover looks beautiful.

Abbas
However, the magazine is still showing PIA's retired aircraft, Boeing 747 on its pages (flying a curved path).
That is a 772
GEnx
Registered Member

Post by GEnx »

uzkt01 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:18 am
GEnx wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 am

Abbas
That is a 772
I was referring to the pages of Humsafar magazine. Take a close look at the 4th photo of magazine. A 4-engined aircraft is pictured there.
GEnx
Registered Member

Post by GEnx »

Or may be i'm wrong too because after looking it closely, i've realized that it is in fact the A380 :shock:
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

I think a post has been deleted regarding the reason for this post.

Those of us who can, have always written about our experiences of flying on PIA and (other airlines) to Pakistan. There is no agenda here at all. I found Humsafar, which I have not seen for a long time and therefore shared that experience.

yes.. it' definitely looks like an A380.. wing sharklets; nose; double deck.

However, i still would like to know what kind of 'emergency equipment' was missing on the aircraft that caused the delay?
Ammar
Registered Member

Post by Ammar »

Zulfiqar wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 am I think a post has been deleted regarding the reason for this post.

Those of us who can, have always written about our experiences of flying on PIA and (other airlines) to Pakistan. There is no agenda here at all. I found Humsafar, which I have not seen for a long time and therefore shared that experience.

yes.. it' definitely looks like an A380.. wing sharklets; nose; double deck.

However, i still would like to know what kind of 'emergency equipment' was missing on the aircraft that caused the delay?
And all HOP members appreciate these reviews greatly, thank you.
"A mile of highway will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."