Why some airlines use both 737 and a320 series?

Forum for discussing non-Pakistani aviation issues and news.
uzairali
Registered Member

Why some airlines use both 737 and a320 series?

Post by uzairali »

Turkish for example have 737-8/9 and also a319/a320/a321 and they have order MAX and NEO.
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Re: Why some airlines use both 737 and a320 series?

Post by imiakhtar »

uzairali wrote:Turkish for example have 737-8/9 and also a319/a320/a321 and they have order MAX and NEO.
It's called economies of scale.

The respective airbus A320 family and 737 family fleets are large enough at some airlines that they can operate two similar fleets efficiently.

American, Delta, United and other large airlines do the same too.
Feel free to add me to your MSN!
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

imiakhtar wrote:
uzairali wrote:Turkish for example have 737-8/9 and also a319/a320/a321 and they have order MAX and NEO.

The respective airbus A320 family and 737 family fleets are large enough at some airlines that they can operate two similar fleets efficiently.

But at the same time Ryan air does only one type or aircraft, despite having 100s.

If we talk about economies of scale, we also have to admit that by having one manufacture, it can save more money. Example 100 boeing engines being cheaper than 50 boeing 50 airbus.
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

uzairali wrote:
imiakhtar wrote:

But at the same time Ryan air does only one type or aircraft, despite having 100s.

If we talk about economies of scale, we also have to admit that by having one manufacture, it can save more money. Example 100 boeing engines being cheaper than 50 boeing 50 airbus.
Goodness me.

Can't you just accept what you're being told by those with knowledge of the industry. You're like a little kid.

There are ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS!

Why does ryanair have an all 737 fleet. Well, it may have something to do with ryanair, pardon my language, raping Boeing and getting a very good discount. Easyjet did the same with Airbus as do others like Southwest.

uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

^ You've some serious issues.

"Goodness me.

Can't you just accept what you're being told by those with knowledge of the industry. You're like a little kid.

Why does ryanair have an all 737 fleet. Well, it may have something to do with ryanair, pardon my language, raping Boeing and getting a very good discount. Easyjet did the same with Airbus as do others like Southwest."

And, Turkish airlines has order of 97 a320 series, and 75 737 series. About 170 planes. Meanwhile Ryan has order for 215 planes. Surely they can get a good discount by having only a320 or 737 planes, compared to half half.
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

uzairali wrote:^ You've some serious issues.

"Goodness me.

Why does ryanair have an all 737 fleet. Well, it may have something to do with ryanair, pardon my language, raping Boeing and getting a very good discount. Easyjet did the same with Airbus as do others like Southwest."

And, Turkish airlines has order of 97 a320 series, and 75 737 series. About 170 planes. Meanwhile Ryan has order for 215 planes. Surely they can get a good discount by having only a320 or 737 planes, compared to half half.
I tell you what.

Why don't you go and post your remarks and questions on flyertalk, skyscrapercity, airliners.net and see what sort of responses you get.

Your level of reasoning suggests you're the one who lacks comprehension of basic business principles.
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

I realise my responses have been a bit harsh so I'll give you a break and attempt to give you an honest answer.

Why do TK have both 320/737 fleets you ask.

For TK's extremely large network, some flights will be better served by the 320 family and others by the 737. Whilst simply comparing wikipedia numbers the types appear very similar, operationally the two are quite different and have strengths and weakness which I will list below.

A320 and 737-800:

A320 strengths:

Much better runway takeoff and climb performance. It's important to note that takeoff and climb aren't the same thing.

At max take off weight, sea level ISA, the A320 needs about 1000ft less runway than the 737-800 which means it can operate out of shorter runways and higher altitude airports with better performance.

A320 is slightly cheaper to buy and lease.

A320 has slightly lower fuel burn on longer flights.

737-800 strengths:

Bigger than A320 so it can carry 1 or 2 extra rows of passengers. This makes a big difference in unit pax costs.

The 737-800 can carry a lot more fuel in standard tanks. About 3000kg more than the A320 which means it can fly about 1 hour more.

A321 strengths:

Large size makes it an excellent workhorse. Largest floor space and capacity out of a320/737 aircraft types.

Very good takeoff performance like the A320. A lot better performance than the 737-900.

Only burns 100-200kg/hr more than 737-800/900/A320.

737-900 strengths:

Better range than A321 due to larger fuel tanks. Used by TK with extra tanks to fly longer missions into Africa.

Both 737-800 and -900 have slightly lower maintenance costs compared to A320/A321.

Now factor Turkish route network in, you will see TK sends the aircraft where their performance is optimal. For other airlines who don't have a vast and performance compromising network like ryanair and easyjet, they don't need multiple aircraft types.

In fact, both easyjet and ryanair use lower aircraft take off weights and lower engine power ratings because their networks don't stretch the aircraft.

American Airlines ordered the A319, 737-800 and A321 for similar reasons.

A319 for takeoff and climb performance

737-800 for good all round performance

A321 for large floor space for transcon flights to replace 767
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

^ Now couldn't you post this information in the first place?

Anyways, thanks.
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

uzairali wrote:^ Now couldn't you post this information in the first place?

Anyways, thanks.
You can also google for information instead of asking questions in forum.
Adnan Anwar
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

Adnan Anwar wrote:
uzairali wrote:^ Now couldn't you post this information in the first place?

Anyways, thanks.
You can also google for information instead of asking questions in forum.
Good on you for bringing old thread back?

And a lot of information we can google but not everyone knows where to look or what something means. This is why we have "forums."