Smooth landing

Share info about flight simulation related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
waqarimran96
Registered Member

Smooth landing

Post by waqarimran96 »

Assalam o Alaikum! I hope you all will be fine. So lets come to the point that I am always anxious about smooth landing in fs2004. So please give me some hints for a good and smooth touch. All the comments are welcome... And another problem related to my fsx is that whenever I connect it, it loads up to 100% and then closes without any error. So please tell me about this one also. Wasalaam.
It's always better to be down on the ground wishing you were up in the air than up in the air wishing you were down on the ground.
faisal-777
Registered Member

Re: Smooth landing

Post by faisal-777 »

First of all watch your speed during approach. Keep it below 200 knots when near the runway. And also use rudder to align with the runway instead of using ailerons to position your aircraft. And put the engines to idle by pressing F1 key when about 1000 ft above the ground. Pitch nose up a few degrees just before touchdown
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
waqarimran96
Registered Member

Post by waqarimran96 »

faisal-777 wrote:First of all watch your speed during approach. Keep it below 200 knots when near the runway. And also use rudder to align with the runway instead of using ailerons to position your aircraft. And put the engines to idle by pressing F1 key when about 1000 ft above the ground. Pitch nose up a few degrees just before touchdown
Thanks! But you didn't tell me about the FSX related problem... Please notify..
It's always better to be down on the ground wishing you were up in the air than up in the air wishing you were down on the ground.
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

waqarimran96 wrote:
faisal-777 wrote:First of all watch your speed during approach. Keep it below 200 knots when near the runway. And also use rudder to align with the runway instead of using ailerons to position your aircraft. And put the engines to idle by pressing F1 key when about 1000 ft above the ground. Pitch nose up a few degrees just before touchdown

Which version of Windows are you running and what are your computer's specs ?
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
waqarimran96
Registered Member

Post by waqarimran96 »

faisal-777 wrote:
waqarimran96 wrote:

Which version of Windows are you running and what are your computer's specs ?
I am using windows xp SP2. I have the computer specification as follow:
DDR2 HP Compaq
256 MB VGA Card not good [-X but satisfactory.
1gb ram
3.06 ghz processor.
80 gb Hard Disk..
Any thing else????? :thumbs_up:
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

Make sure you cracked the game with the right files. If you downloaded it from torrent and are using Service Pack, use the files in service pack's crack not the ones with the game.

Also try again after removing the game entirely and then re-installing
waqarimran96
Registered Member

Post by waqarimran96 »

faisal-777 wrote:Make sure you cracked the game with the right files. If you downloaded it from torrent and are using Service Pack, use the files in service pack's crack not the ones with the game.

Okay.. I re-installed the window but now it's the problem with the Virtual Cockpits of the Default planes. It does not load up.. :cry: :cry: :cry:
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

waqarimran96 wrote:
faisal-777 wrote:Make sure you cracked the game with the right files. If you downloaded it from torrent and are using Service Pack, use the files in service pack's crack not the ones with the game.

Okay.. I re-installed the window but now it's the problem with the Virtual Cockpits of the Default planes. It does not load up.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Press one of these keys: Q W E as the virtual cockpit can be hidden due to application of one of these keys.
mhansari
Registered Member

Post by mhansari »

Speed under 200 knots when near the runway?

For a 777 (the real thing, at least), VR is around 155 knots (max weight, sea level)
Approach speed is between 140 and 150 knots and actual touchdown speed is 135 knots. The heavier you're coming in, the faster you'll need to be.

I'm not much of an expert, but I believe that arriving at the runway threshold at the right speed is critical for a smooth landing. Also, once you're down to 200 feet or so, you can pull your throttles back to idle and let the aircraft settle, according to one manual I read (which helped me out with my landings!). Don't try to force the plane down, even if you're not exactly on the touchdown zone. Personally, I prefer to work the throttles a little bit, to keep my descent and speed nice and smooth. For practice, here's what I do: use an airport with ILS and GS available. Make your approach fully on ILS with GS selected so that the aircraft does most of the work itself while you manage your speed (also using the autopilot). This will teach you how each plane behaves at each speed+flap setting. FInally, at about 500 ft, disengage the AP and fly the last 500 feet manually. This way, you can really concentrate on a smooth touchdown because everything else (lining up, descent speed etc) is already done for you.

It would help if you could google the approach speeds and flap settings for whichever aircraft you're flying. Good luck!
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

mhansari wrote:Speed under 200 knots when near the runway?

For a 777 (the real thing, at least), VR is around 155 knots (max weight, sea level)
Approach speed is between 140 and 150 knots and actual touchdown speed is 135 knots. The heavier you're coming in, the faster you'll need to be.

I'm not much of an expert, but I believe that arriving at the runway threshold at the right speed is critical for a smooth landing. Also, once you're down to 200 feet or so, you can pull your throttles back to idle and let the aircraft settle, according to one manual I read (which helped me out with my landings!). Don't try to force the plane down, even if you're not exactly on the touchdown zone. Personally, I prefer to work the throttles a little bit, to keep my descent and speed nice and smooth. For practice, here's what I do: use an airport with ILS and GS available. Make your approach fully on ILS with GS selected so that the aircraft does most of the work itself while you manage your speed (also using the autopilot). This will teach you how each plane behaves at each speed+flap setting. FInally, at about 500 ft, disengage the AP and fly the last 500 feet manually. This way, you can really concentrate on a smooth touchdown because everything else (lining up, descent speed etc) is already done for you.

It would help if you could google the approach speeds and flap settings for whichever aircraft you're flying. Good luck!
I am also not much sure but I have landed 777 around 180,190 knots safely with high difficulty settings. 140 knots is for Boeing 737
cpt_747
Registered Member

Post by cpt_747 »

Hi, I haven't done those flights for some years but coming to land with speed of 200 knots is way too fast. Maximum 150 knots but just before the threshold 130 or below would help a lot. Plus deploy full flaps only a mile away from the touch down would also help land your aircraft smoothly.
The orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun averages about 30 km/s or 18 mps (108,000 km/h or 67000 mph).
Which means we're travelling 97 times the speed of sound. And yet we can't feel the motion,
SubhanAllah
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

The touchdown speed needs to be around 150-160 knots but normally you have to keep it 170+ right before appraoching runway else the B777 stalls and falls down
mhansari
Registered Member

Post by mhansari »

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airpor ... speeds.pdf

Please refer to this document which shows the following approach speeds:
772: 136
772ER: 139
772LR: 140
773 & 773ER:149
waqarimran96
Registered Member

Post by waqarimran96 »

Thanks guys... I just downloaded Irfan's Boeing 777-240.. It takes off very late at the end of the runway. And when it lands, there is a sudden touchdown of both the front and back landing gears, after that there is sparking in the engines, backward etc.. So any idea there which can help me to take off it earlier and land it smoothly... Thank you very much!