Flying in FS2002

Share info about flight simulation related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
ABQ
Registered Member

Flying in FS2002

Post by ABQ »

Hi,

I am using FS2002 for quite some time now, I know the basics of flying e.g. taxiing, take off, maintaining a level flight, and usage of flaps during landing but in need someone's help regarding following:

1. I can land the airplane, but mostly I fail to touch the centre line of runway. A few seconds before touchdown I feel I am perfectly aligned to the runway and will land on the centre of strip, but as soon as I get closer to the runway, I end up either left or right side of the runway. Can some one please guide me on how to keep perfectly aligned to the runway and to make sure that I land on the runway?

2. I also need help regarding how to find the right path to the destination, for example, I take off from KHI and want to land in ISB. I normally open the ATC window and keep track of the airports listed in range, and get a rough idea that I am going to right direction or not. Is there any better way to make sure that I am heading to right direction?

Thank you!
Umair94
Registered Member

Re: Flying in FS2002

Post by Umair94 »

i can't help you with the first one but with the second one you can make a flight planner on the main main and make your airplane make follow it auto. i hope it helped
All The Way, It's PIA
ABQ
Registered Member

Post by ABQ »

Thank you Umair!

Can someone help me with first one as well?

Is there a device in the cockpit mode that can tell if I am perfectly aligned to the runway or not?

Or is there a visual technique that should be followed for a perfect landing?
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

If the approaching ruway is ILS equipped then you can tune the NAV1 to that specific ILS frequency and change the Course heading according to runway heading and engaging the Approach or APP on Autopilot console with Autopilot engaged then the Autopilot will take the aircraft down to center of runway line for landing. Be sure to control the approach speed according to your equipment.

I use to disengage the Auto Throttle at 3NM and AP at approx. 1NM and land manually without any difficulty :)
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
ABQ
Registered Member

Post by ABQ »

Thank you so much for your help raihans!!
vpiahr
Registered Member

Post by vpiahr »

Hopefully this will be a usefull little Tip which was passed on to me some time ago...... I still use it as a guide.

On the outset of your flight try to make a visual reference point on your Panel. Line up your Aircraft on the Taxiway or even Runway and make a mental note of where the "Lines" fall on the top of your Panel. The shot below should give a better explanation!!!!!

On approach all you need do is remember where the "Line" was located on the Top edge of your Panel and try to maintain this position. With practice you should find it comes a whole lot easier.

Re landing, have you tried this method.......
1) entering the ILS frequency into NAV1,
2) When Localiser and Glideslope become active, disconnect Autopilot.
3) Hold Aircraft manualy on Loc and Glide maintaining Throttles Manualy.
Perry Green
PIA10170
Allama Iqbal Int

http://www.vpia.org/
ABQ
Registered Member

Post by ABQ »

vpiahr wrote:Hopefully this will be a usefull little Tip which was passed on to me some time ago...... I still use it as a guide.
Thank you so much for giving such a useful tip. This is really helpful. Now I can land on the runway!!
ABQ
Registered Member

Post by ABQ »

Umair94 wrote:you can make a flight planner on the main main and make your airplane make follow it auto. i hope it helped
I made the flight planner but the a/c do not follow the path in autopilot mode, can you please help me on how to make the a/c follow the path created in flight planner?

Thanks.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

^ to follow the flight planner path, when you engage the AP - autopilot, engage the GPS and NAV too on the autopilot console.
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
vpiahr
Registered Member

Post by vpiahr »

This is a very basic answer for the default FS Panels and may vary depending on Aircraft.

After taking off and maintaining the Runway Heading (057) I have activated the Autopilot.
Note NAV/GPS Switch is at NAV as I am ussing the Heading selector on the Autopilot for direction.

To follow your flight plan, move the NAV/GPS Switch to GPS. Press the NAV selector (Heading selector will turn off) on the Autopilot Panel. The Aircraft will then turn to intercept the Planned Course.

I would advise that you maintain the Heading indicator to match that shown on the Top of the GPS Screen after each direction change. This is good practice as you will reach a point which requires you to follow ATC directions for Landing etc. In other words when you turn off the GPS and select Heading on the Autopilot Panel, you dont want your Aircraft suddenly turning off in the wrong direction.

To revert from GPS to NAV Mode, Press Heading Selector on Autopilot Panel.
Place the NAV/GPS Switch to NAV. You cannot make an ILS Landing in the GPS Position as NAV1 will not recognise the frequency.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Virtual Pakistan Intl Airlines
"The Wings of Pakistan"
http://www.vpia.org
established 2005

Perry Green
PIA10170
Allama Iqbal Int

ABQ
Registered Member

Post by ABQ »

Thank you vpiahr for your help!

Your detailed description supported by illustrations was really helpful.

Now I can use flight planner and can land on the runway using the 'visual reference point on the panel' tip.

But still I am having difficulties in using auto land. I tried to land on Chaklala Airport, when I was near the airport, I turned the GPS/NAV button to NAV, I entered 300 (for runway 30) in the "heading" and pressed the heading selector button, and the APR (approach) button as well. But the aircraft just changed its direction to 300 degrees.

Please correct me if I made a mistake in the above.

I feel I wasn't able to land because I couldn't understand how to implement the point # 1 below. Can you please explain, how would I find the ILS frequency which I have to enter in NAV1?

vpiahr wrote:Re landing, have you tried this method.......
1) entering the ILS frequency into NAV1,
2) When Localiser and Glideslope become active, disconnect Autopilot.
3) Hold Aircraft manualy on Loc and Glide maintaining Throttles Manualy.
Thank you!
vpiahr
Registered Member

Post by vpiahr »

Take a look at these two Videos which are on U Tube. This will explain basic ILS set ups and landings and should
provide most of what you need to know.

"The Wings of Pakistan"
established 2005
Last edited by vpiahr on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perry Green
PIA10170
Allama Iqbal Int

ABQ
Registered Member

Post by ABQ »

Thank you soooo much vpiahr!!!! :thumbs_up:

Both videos were really helpful, and addressed all of my questions, now I know how to find ILS frequency for a particular runway and how to enter it in NAV1.

Now I have got all the basic knowledge I needed at the time when I posted this topic. (Obviously I will need a lot of practice to fully understand all this, and to use these techniques properly)

I was trying to learn flying in FS2002 for quite some time, but I was only able to fly visually. I knew that the devices on the panel are for some use but couldn't understand how to use these. I tried to search on google, read the PDF manual available in the FS2002 but wasn't able to understand anything.

Thank you vpiahr, umair94, and raihans for the help!!!
vpiahr
Registered Member

Post by vpiahr »

Flight Sim can be a little frustrating when first learning from the basics. The Manuals etc do not always help, indeed as you have found. Hopefully you are now on the right track to becoming a better Virtual Pilot, but as always practice practice practice!!!!!

Please do not hesitate to add to this thread should you need further help.
In the mean time here is a Link to a site where you can obtain freeware Pilot Checklists for default FS Aircraft.

http://www.freechecklists.net/simchecklists.asp

Enjoy :thumbs_up:
"The Wings of Pakistan"
established 2005
Perry Green
PIA10170
Allama Iqbal Int

VirtualPIA
Registered Member

Post by VirtualPIA »

ABQ wrote:Thank you soooo much vpiahr!!!! :thumbs_up:

Both videos were really helpful, and addressed all of my questions, now I know how to find ILS frequency for a particular runway and how to enter it in NAV1.

Now I have got all the basic knowledge I needed at the time when I posted this topic. (Obviously I will need a lot of practice to fully understand all this, and to use these techniques properly)

I was trying to learn flying in FS2002 for quite some time, but I was only able to fly visually. I knew that the devices on the panel are for some use but couldn't understand how to use these. I tried to search on google, read the PDF manual available in the FS2002 but wasn't able to understand anything.

Thank you vpiahr, umair94, and raihans for the help!!!
Hows the flying going ABQ?

Would love to screenshots from FS2002 if you can please :)
The angle of arrival is inversely proportional to the probability of survival.