Iran air on a shopping spree

Forum for discussing non-Pakistani aviation issues and news.


uzairali
Registered Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by uzairali » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:43 am

Asalalikum brothers

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3851946 ... lanes-iran

Iran Air ordered 118 airframes, a mix of narrow- and wide body airframes, with a market value of $12.4bn. At list prices the order is valued at $27.6bn (assuming that the ordered A330ceos are A330-300s). This means that the minimal discount Iran Air received is 54.4% and given the size of the order it is safe to assume discounts are slightly closer to 60%. The order consists of 60% wide body aircraft and 40% narrow body airframes. Currently Iran Air operates 43 aircraft. Assuming that almost all current fleet members will be replaced, the Iran Air fleet will almost triple in the coming years.

In addition, they have 20+20 orders for ATR 72-600. I believe they chose Airbus instead of Boeing/Bombadier because American company and the latter being not permitted as of yet by Canadian gov't to negotiate deals with Iran.

It will be interesting to see how Iran Air takes back traffic from the likes of ME3, as they were providing new planes/better service than Iran air which still flies 747-200 and a300. Perhaps PIA can learn from Iran air. If Iran air is capable of adding 148 planes, so can PIA. Pakistan and Iran also have close GDP, and the Pakistani population is in large numbers too.


User avatar
cpt_747
Registered Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:40 am
Location: London Heathrow

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by cpt_747 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:26 am

One thing I really don't understand and that is, why most Pakistanis expect the Pakistan government to pay for the aircraft that PIA buys?

PIA is an airline, a business, if they can't pay themselves for the new aircraft then they are quite frankly a bad business and should be passed onto the private hands so they could run it the way a business should run.

It has been few decades since PIA is being subsidised by the government but it's in constant loss.

I think these are high ones for the Pakistan government to call in the experts to decide what could be done.
The orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun averages about 30 km/s or 18 mps (108,000 km/h or 67000 mph).
Which means we're travelling 97 times the speed of sound. And yet we can't feel the motion,
SubhanAllah
Image
"The handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them a while."

CoyBoy
Registered Member
Posts: 1738
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:13 am
Location: Pakistan

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by CoyBoy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:37 am

You really cannot compare Iran to us, its an advanced society that has alot more to offer, thats why the big order and west itching to deal with them, their population is mostly young and educated and so good looking too LOL!
Image

uzairali
Registered Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by uzairali » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:49 am

cpt_747 wrote:One thing I really don't understand and that is, why most Pakistanis expect the Pakistan government to pay for the aircraft that PIA buys?

PIA is an airline, a business, if they can't pay themselves for the new aircraft then they are quite frankly a bad business and should be passed onto the private hands so they could run it the way a business should run.

It has been few decades since PIA is being subsidised by the government but it's in constant loss.

I think these are high ones for the Pakistan government to call in the experts to decide what could be done.
Asalamalikum brother


Actually before 2005, PIA was profitable, so not few decades. Also in order for PIA to be revived, it needs new planes, which can only be acquired with the help of gov't. It's worth mentioning that the president of Iran had met French president and discussed the airbus deal I believe.

bnm
Registered Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by bnm » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:38 am

If we have spent 80 billion on metro only for 54 km, and now going to spend almost 200 billion on orange train, then why not some billions for our national airline, look at the yesterday report of Emirates airline, the main source of income for Dubai, these all are subjected to priority for Pakistan.

uzairali
Registered Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by uzairali » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:06 pm

bnm wrote:If we have spent 80 billion on metro only for 54 km, and now going to spend almost 200 billion on orange train, then why not some billions for our national airline, look at the yesterday report of Emirates airline, the main source of income for Dubai, these all are subjected to priority for Pakistan.
Asalamalikum brother


Just so you know, gov't subsidies the ticket for metro. So it may cost 5 rupees for break even, but gov't sell ticket for 3 rupees and pays 2 rupees out of its own pocket. Just an example.

Whereas if PIA can be turned around, the gov't will not need to provide subsidy and can consume profits.

CoyBoy
Registered Member
Posts: 1738
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:13 am
Location: Pakistan

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by CoyBoy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:06 pm

PIA wasnt profitable prior to 2005 who told you that?
Image

uzairali
Registered Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by uzairali » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:04 am

CoyBoy wrote:PIA wasnt profitable prior to 2005 who told you that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_ ... l_Airlines

2004 it made 2,307 million rupees in profits.

uzairali
Registered Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by uzairali » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:04 am

CoyBoy wrote:PIA wasnt profitable prior to 2005 who told you that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_ ... l_Airlines

2004 it made 2,307 million rupees in profits.

CoyBoy
Registered Member
Posts: 1738
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:13 am
Location: Pakistan

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by CoyBoy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Just one year? you make it sound like it was consistantly profotable till then, Sabena was also profitable for one year of its history.
Image

uzairali
Registered Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

Re: Iran air on a shopping spree

Post by uzairali » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:32 pm

CoyBoy wrote:Just one year? you make it sound like it was consistantly profotable till then, Sabena was also profitable for one year of its history.
That's as far wiki can go. Perhaps it was profitable before, or not profitable at all, I do not know.