Giant 1/14th scale Super Constellation L1049G's RC Model

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Giant 1/14th scale Super Constellation L1049G's RC Model

Post by ConnieMan »

Salam Everybody,

http://www.historyofpia.com/olddays.htm (2nd from top livery)

I would like to share my current giant scale project of RC Super Constellation L1049G with you, this model has WS of 105" and Length of 96", it going to be powered with 4x ST G40s, these are 2 stroke engines producing 1bhp each!. Currently its getting into second stage of building precess, i will be applying balsa 1/16th sheeting on the whole airframe and followed by 4 oz of fiberglass cloth with West Systems laminating epoxy. I have ordered custom nose strut for it as there are none 1/14th scale RC Connie models out there, this model will have all functional flight controls on it with functional landing, Nav lights and retracts. Most likely i will be finishing it in PIA's livery but that will be finalized at the time of finishing. This airframe is built from white and blue foam, fuselage is built in 19 sections and wing is built in 3pcs for easy transportation. I hope you guys will like it as its one of kind so far in Canada!...
Last edited by ConnieMan on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

You mean this thing will fly? :shock:
Keep us posted with the progress on it.
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Thanks for appreciating it, Yes this will be a flying model, i sure will keep everybody posted.... :D :wink:
Last edited by ConnieMan on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

sir, would u be selling this beast after a few years? i would love to buy this plane in PIA livery. I live in Toronto, so would u mind selling it after a year or two? :lol:
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Well everything is for sale at right price, it will cost me about $4000 in just material cost, and unlimited in hours spent on it in 1 1/2yrs of building it as its one of kind, so yes for $40.000 cash i would maybe..... :D :D
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

ConnieLover wrote:Well everything is for sale at right price, it will cost me about $4000 in just material cost, and unlimited in hours spent on it in 1 1/2yrs of building it as its one of kind, so yes for $40.000 cash i would maybe..... :D :D
Ok, ummm, does this price include a set of flight attendants too? 8-[
Its not for me but Mohsin, you should demand those if you go with the deal. ;)
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

wat would be the price after 1 year? :lol:
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

We will see then.... :? :wink:

BTW if you want to see it then you are welcome to come and see it, i will be guest spearker at Toronto Aerospace Museum this month and at one of local club's meeting in January about this model....
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

ConnieLover wrote:We will see then.... :? :wink:

BTW if you want to see it then you are welcome to come and see it, i will be guest spearker at Toronto Aerospace Museum this month and at one of local club's meeting in January about this model....
oh really.... where is the aerospace museum in toronto??? and where is he local club's meeting held? I would definetly come if i get the address right and if i get info on the cost of addmission maybe??? can u give me some breif info on these two events... :lol: ?
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

PIA10141 wrote:

oh really.... where is the aerospace museum in toronto??? and where is he local club's meeting held? I would definetly come if i get the address right and if i get info on the cost of addmission maybe??? can u give me some breif info on these two events... :lol: ?
Mohsin,

Don't worry about buying my Connie, its not for sale.

Toronto Aerospace Museum is at 65 Carl Hall Rd.(Downsview park, Keele and Shapperd area) admission i believe is $8.00.
Check out www.Torontoaerospacemuseum.com

As for that perticular local field, its in Pickering or Whitby area, i don't belong to that club so i don't know, they have asked me to be a guest speaker on the Connie in January to talk about it with there club members, that's just for members but if you want to come, i can ask them....

Pm me for furter conversation......Thanks
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

ConnieLover wrote:
PIA10141 wrote:

Mohsin,

Don't worry about buying my Connie, its not for sale.

Toronto Aerospace Museum is at 65 Carl Hall Rd.(Downsview park, Keele and Shapperd area) admission i believe is $8.00.
Check out www.Torontoaerospacemuseum.com

As for that perticular local field, its in Pickering or Whitby area, i don't belong to that club so i don't know, they have asked me to be a guest speaker on the Connie in January to talk about it with there club members, that's just for members but if you want to come, i can ask them....

Pm me for furter conversation......Thanks
The museum, I shall come for sure. The local club depends if they let me in, perphaps u can ask them??? :twisted: Thank you so much sir, i would love to see the model up close!!! or maybe even fly it if you wouldn't mind and its ok with you..... LOL
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Mohsin,

Museum is a must see and if you want work hands on at one of the on going restoration projects then thats part of membership also, we just finished making 1/1 scale metal mock up of legendery Avro Arrow RL 203, we still have our team of guys working avro Lancaster Bomber that used to be on pedistal at Lakeshore across food bank. (FM 104)

As for the meeting i can certainly ask and yes once its finished then you or anyone else who wants to see her fly can come out to the field where i will fly her...... :D :D

As for build update:

I will be glassing the fuselage and wing cores with 4-6oz fiberglass cloth and west system leminating epoxy. i have decided not to sheet the foam core and directly gglass over the foam.
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

Unless I'm mistaken about the connies operated by PIA, your design may remove PIA from the list of airlines under your consideration.

I don't believe PIA ever had a connie with fuel tanks on its wings.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Nasir wrote:Unless I'm mistaken about the connies operated by PIA, your design may remove PIA from the list of airlines under your consideration.

I don't believe PIA ever had a connie with fuel tanks on its wings.
Nasir,

You are right and that is why i have made two sets of outer wing tips, one is with tip tanks and other is natural wing tip set, i did this so when i get to the point of painting, i can then decide if its going to be in PIA livery or TCA livery. Outer wings are removable and i can easily switch them anytime, nothing to worry about. I am also thinking of making couple more of these RC Connie models but at bigger scale. One thing i can certainly do is to make large cargo door on left rear on this one and leave it that way even if its in TCA colors, this way whenever i want to switch to PIA livery i can just repaint it and use natural wing tips set instead.

PIA i think only had 5 S Connies, earlier 3 were L1049Cs and later 2 were L1049Hs, I don't think PIA had Super "G"s.....
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Update:

Since last post i have done following to my model. Sanded redome to right size and shape, added wooden leading edge and trailing edges to H-Stab, this will protect it from hanger rash better. Curved ther wing tip trailing edges of boths sides by cutting foam pieces out and sanding smooth the trailing edges to maintain the airfoil and taper on both wings, i will be doing leading edges soon to as they have slight curve going into the tip tank. Famous Blade antenna was made from balse aileron strip, once main profile was achieved i coated it with tinned out expoy, this stiffed it and gave good strength to it. I also fixed the cockpit profile as i took out 1/4" more from the sides, so i added that with balsa scrap pieces and sanded it to shape and filled it with speckling compound.

How do i load pictures on this site?, i have been trying to figure it out but can't...any inputs please. Thanks