PIA Promoting tourism

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
mohammed younis
Registered Member

PIA Promoting tourism

Post by mohammed younis »

I think Pia should of tried to do something like this for some of their destinations,

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1006905
Mohammed Younis
PIA - Great People To Fly With
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

yeh would be very nice but cost would be high for paintwork and that.
My Aircraft Model Photos: www.flickr.com/haq747
ali_khan
Registered Member

Post by ali_khan »

Personally I don't think it is the job of PIA to promote tourism in Pakistan. It is the responsibility of the government of Pakistan. PIA's efforts and money is better spent on providing better service and products to its customers and by creating a easy, cheap transit point (KHI and LHA) for pax travelling to other countries by PIA (kinda like Emirates and Gulf Air).
behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee »

ali_khan wrote:Personally I don't think it is the job of PIA to promote tourism in Pakistan. It is the responsibility of the government of Pakistan. PIA's efforts and money is better spent on providing better service and products to its customers and by creating a easy, cheap transit point (KHI and LHA) for pax travelling to other countries by PIA (kinda like Emirates and Gulf Air).
i tend to agree and disagree with you at the same time.

i agree that PIA is not solely responsible for the promotion of tourism in Pakistan as that is primarily the govt's responsibility to maintain / upgrade tourist sites, build infrastructure and maintain law & order.

but look at how much Thai Airways, Kenya Airways, South African Airwyas, Egypt Air, Malaysian, Cathay and Emirates have done promoting tourist friendly packages in their home countries which has helped their local economies big time. PIA hasnt even made 5% of the effort and investment that these carriers have made promoting local tourism abroad.

In North America and UK, PIA has no local Pakistan tour package with hotels + sightseeing excursions on offer for sale.

Forget local tourism, EK/TG/CX have holiday packages avbl for many intl destinations that they serve too apart from their home territories.
flyingsystem
Registered Member

Post by flyingsystem »

Yes, as u said its the role of the government: and thats what PIA is, its owned by the government! So the gov have to use PIA to promote tourism, but it should not be the only way to promote it.
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

PIA are starting to promote tourism now with the "Destination Pakistan 2007 " stickers on the aircrafts so just have to give it time. also this financial spin PIA is in isnt helping
My Aircraft Model Photos: www.flickr.com/haq747
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

Pakistan is hardly geared up to be a holiday destination.

Our beaches are under developed, with no hotel infrastructure around them.

Our mountain regions lack all weather roads and again no proper hoteling.

Lahore is the only historic town with some 3 star hotels, but very non tourist atmosphere.

Plus nothing for the goras to do in the evening.

I am afraid we cannot be an Egypt, Dubai, Thailand, Maldives, Turkey, Lebanon, or even a Sri Lanka without comprehensive five year plan to develop tourism in Pakistan.

Our best bet is Indian tourism to Punjab, and for that we need to make Pakistan visa free for Indian citizens, but that will not happen for a long time.

Sticking stickers to aircraft does attract tourism dollars.
P.I.A

God's International Airline
ali_khan
Registered Member

Post by ali_khan »

Behramjee,

What I wanted to say, brother Amaad has said it. That is why I believe PIA should just stick to the plan of offering excellent service and products, pressure and co-operate in developing shops/facilities/hotels at the Lahore and Karachi airport and also, provide a quick, convenient transit point for pax travelling via Pakistan/PIA to their countries.
mohammed younis
Registered Member

Post by mohammed younis »

I agree with Samee, we have to give this country time,
it was Destination India, Destination Malasia, Destination Singapore
Inshallah There will be Destination Pakistan.

Yes Amaad, Pakistan is hardly geared up to a holiday destination, however there are some projects underway, i understand there are some companies in Dubai with big ambitions for Lahore, Karachi....

In reagrds to beeches, Karachi would be great, again development is needed. In regards to gorahs, what they like is a good day out in site seeing then a good meal in the evening.

i think its to early to say Destination Pakistan, the country just needs time.
Mohammed Younis
PIA - Great People To Fly With