Join PIA as Senior Vice President Corporate Planning

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Join PIA as Senior Vice President Corporate Planning

Post by Abbas Ali »

In today’s (December 10, 2006) newspaper:

On the Net: PIA
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Jacobin777
Registered Member

Post by Jacobin777 »

This age requirement of 55 is asinine..there are MANY people in their 40s (even in their 30s) who know what they are doing and are young and hungry to succeed...as opposed to some 55+ year old who could care less about the company succeeding and cares more about his/her pension...

The CEO/Chairman of American Airlines, the LARGEST carrier in the world is only 47.

The CEO of British Airways in only 44!

what a joke....
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Jacobin777 wrote:This age requirement of 55 is asinine..there are MANY people in their 40s (even in their 30s) who know what they are doing and are young and hungry to succeed...as opposed to some 55+ year old who could care less about the company succeeding and cares more about his/her pension...

The CEO/Chairman of American Airlines, the LARGEST carrier in the world is only 47.

The CEO of British Airways in only 44!

what a joke....
55 years is the maximum age for this job. Candidates should be 55 or less than 55 years old.

Abbas

See you at:
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Agreed Jacobin... And see another requirement that is actually a plus point that the candidate should have a 5-year experience of senior management in any airline... Now who will leave any airline for PIA particularly when the airline is at this critical stage and struggling for its survival?
Adnan
Jacobin777
Registered Member

Post by Jacobin777 »

Abbas Ali wrote: 55 years is the maximum age for this job. Candidates should be 55 or less than 55 years old.

Abbas
My bad..dumb mistake on my part.. :oops: for some reason I thought it said "minimum"...but the gist of my comment is correct....

This is actually a good move by PK then.. so they don't have to worry about some bloke who wants to join PK for benefits only....
AP-BGL wrote:Agreed Jacobin... And see another requirement that is actually a plus point that the candidate should have a 5-year experience of senior management in any airline... Now who will leave any airline for PIA particularly when the airline is at this critical stage and struggling for its survival?
Agree....
FMC
Deactivated

Post by FMC »

An MBA qualification for this post is not required. The Chief MBA is now leading a losing team. When was the last time that we saw PIA develop as a winning team?
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Well? Any takers from this forum for the job? Be aware however that there may be a clash of ego's between yourself and Mr.Numero Uno.
Moin Abbasi
FULLTHRUST
Registered Member

Post by FULLTHRUST »

FMC, dont forget the era of Arif Abbasi.

and what makes you offend or stating that the said post does not require an MBA?

Could you please elaborate that an MBA is not required for the SVP Corporate Planning. If you really think that an idiot from flight operations with 40 years of experience or a grease monkey from maintenance is a perfect fit, you live in an unreal world.

The same old school of thought had brought PIA to the present scenario. Let the management (MBAs) handle it. I would say, one can pick and choose among the best available in the aviation industry, and I tell you there are a lot available. You have to pay the right price.

I would give you a simple example;

The price of gasoline was Rs 40/litre, you buy it, bcoz you drive. Price goes up Rs 50/litre, you still buy it, bcoz you drive, it goes up to Rs 70 / litre, you will still buy it, bcoz you NEED to drive. If something goes up and becomes your necessity, you have to buy it.

So buy the best available, and carry on your operations....the lot available in PIA is CHEAP.

You spend peanuts, you get monkeys!!!!!
PakN'US
Registered Member

Post by PakN'US »

Jacobin777 wrote:
Abbas Ali wrote: 55 years is the maximum age for this job. Candidates should be 55 or less than 55 years old.

Abbas
My bad..dumb mistake on my part.. :oops: for some reason I thought it said "minimum"...but the gist of my comment is correct....

This is actually a good move by PK then.. so they don't have to worry about some bloke who wants to join PK for benefits only....
AP-BGL wrote:Agreed Jacobin... And see another requirement that is actually a plus point that the candidate should have a 5-year experience of senior management in any airline... Now who will leave any airline for PIA particularly when the airline is at this critical stage and struggling for its survival?
Agree....
Some people would take it as a challange to reinvent the whole airline. Iacocca, Mullay and Fiorina are just such people. They have taken troubled companies and turned them around. In case of Iacocca, it was Chrysler, Mulally did it with Boeing and Carly was at helm of HP and prior to that at Lucent. This might be a good challange for a smart person to actually turn PIA around and take it out of the woods.
Just when you thought you were winning the rat race, along came faster rats!!!
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

Umar Ghafoor.. is now the new Deputy Managing Director.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

PakN'US wrote:Some people would take it as a challange to reinvent the whole airline. Iacocca, Mullay and Fiorina are just such people. They have taken troubled companies and turned them around. In case of Iacocca, it was Chrysler, Mulally did it with Boeing and Carly was at helm of HP and prior to that at Lucent. This might be a good challange for a smart person to actually turn PIA around and take it out of the woods.
Very well said! I fully agree with your statement.

Abbas

See you at:
SalamPaks
Registered Member

Post by SalamPaks »

PakN'US wrote:
Jacobin777 wrote:

Abbas

Agree....
Some people would take it as a challange to reinvent the whole airline. Iacocca, Mullay and Fiorina are just such people. They have taken troubled companies and turned them around. In case of Iacocca, it was Chrysler, Mulally did it with Boeing and Carly was at helm of HP and prior to that at Lucent. This might be a good challange for a smart person to actually turn PIA around and take it out of the woods.
I hope the position allows the successful candidate to truly make a difference. However, like so many executive positions in PIA, it is likely that this person will be unable to make any meaningful changes ecause of the vested interests, government interference and general laxadasical pace of the airline's staff.
FMC
Deactivated

Post by FMC »

cheetah wrote:Umar Ghafoor.. is now the new Deputy Managing Director.
FULL THRUST. In which species would you place the new Deputy Managing Director. Is he an MBA?
FULLTHRUST
Registered Member

Post by FULLTHRUST »

FMC wrote:
cheetah wrote:Umar Ghafoor.. is now the new Deputy Managing Director.

FULL THRUST. In which species would you place the new Deputy Managing Director. Is he an MBA?

POLITICS
FULLTHRUST
Registered Member

Post by FULLTHRUST »

I am sorry if it hurt you FMC, but business ethics are best known to MBAs.

Umar Ghafoor is just a flight engineer, and nothing else, it is just politics that he has been promoted to DMD position.