Future For AP-BAK & AP-BAT (Combis)

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Future For AP-BAK & AP-BAT (Combis)

Post by Amaad Lone »

What would be any future role for our two combis if they fail to return to North America and UK???

The major role for these aircraft was to lift 40 tons of cargo per flight to Europe and the US. That might be over forever.

Now what will PIA do with these 290 seat aircraft consuming 11,000 kilos of fuel per hour.

One thing is for sure, they planes need to be changed to full passenger configuration of around 390-400. The former cargo section of the planes need to be filled up with passengers.

In full passenger layout these planes can be used for Hadj, Umra, Saudi Arabia, Bombay plus domestic trunk routes.

Or does PIA have cargo routes besides Europe and North America where these combis can used for what they meant for, mixing heavy cargo with passengers.
P.I.A

God's International Airline
BOEING777
Registered Member

Post by BOEING777 »

Given the routes the 777-200LR is wasted on, higher freight weight can be put aboard these to compensate.

The 747C's should be scrapped IMHO. They have next to no value.
CombiFan
Registered Member

Post by CombiFan »

Sadly there are no significant Cargo routes for PIA besides UK and US, so the scenario for my favourite planes looks pretty grim.
Since PIA doesnt own any dedicated freighter at this time, their removal form service will severely reduce cargo capacity, the ACMI leased B4s are already proving to be too costly as its not an ideal plane for the PAK-EUR sector, and that deal might be done away with next year. So cargo looks like its in the pits. EK an EY are strengthning their cargo fleet at an alarming pace with EK ordering 10 747-8s. Maybe we should put an Airforce guy incharge of Cargo as well.
nutsforplanes
Registered Member

Post by nutsforplanes »

Like AP-AYW and AP-AYV, both the combis have served PIA's purpose well. But both are close to 27 years old.

PIA should turn them into full freighters. I see Atlas Air and Cargolux 747F at Khi all the time. Businessmen fom Sialkot and Faisalabad are always crying for lack of freight service. Dosent Pakistan have anything to export to the rest of the world that requires just two dedicatd cargo 747's???

If not, I am sure some Cargo Airline will pick up these and convert them for this purpose.
trikko
Registered Member

Post by trikko »

How about placing them at the roundabouts.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

trikko wrote:How about placing them at the roundabouts.
LoL :lol: Suggesting to preserve them in museum would have been a better idea from you :!:
Adnan
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

AP-BGL wrote:
LoL :lol: Suggesting to preserve them in museum would have been a better idea from you :!:
trikko was being sarcastic; he didn't mean it literally!
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

smarties wrote:
AP-BGL wrote:
trikko was being sarcastic; he didn't mean it literally!
LoL :lol: Com'on smarties! I know that, I didn't mean it literally either...
Adnan
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

AP-BGL wrote:LoL Com'on smarties! I know that, I didn't mean it literally either...
Really? Cuz i think it is an excellent idea to preserve them in a museum or something similar.
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"