F-16 fleet will have a strength of 78; JF-17 to be backbone

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

F-16 fleet will have a strength of 78; JF-17 to be backbone

Post by Abbas Ali »

Another One for Tail Choppers - No. 14 Squadron PAF F-16A in air combat - painting by Adnan Siraj
Source: CodeOne Magazine

PAF to meet nation’s expectations, says Air Chief

By Shakil Shaikh

ISLAMABAD:
Pakistan’s multi-role F-16s fleet will have a strength of 78 aircraft with the supply of 18 new and 26 used US Falcons in three years, as Congressional approval and $3 billion Pak-US defence deal is all set to be finalised in the near future.

“There is no guarantee but the US has given assurances to honour the new deal,” Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mehmood Ahmed, said on Monday in his maiden press briefing at the Air Headquarters.

ACM Tanvir Mehmood said that Pakistan wanted 18 new F-16 C/D Block 52 after scaling down the number from 55 aircraft, with an option of another 18 Falcons along with 26 old F-16s of A/B plus the weapons and other hardware. This will cost Pakistan around $2 billion. However, he said another $1 billion will be spent on the upgradation of existing F-16 fleet of 32 aircraft plus two used aircraft arrived in the recent past.

“The new F-16s will arrive in Pakistan within three years from the date of signing of the contract and 26 used F-16s will be handed over to us within 15 to 18 months,” said the air chief. He added the deal is worth the hard-earned national money and will be spent to deter aggression although Pakistan survived even in the days of US sanctions and hostile posture of the neighbouring India and its continued build up for more than ten months.

Pakistan was originally offered 70 plus F-16s but the package was scaled down due to last October earthquake and finally the negotiations resulted in agreeing to have 18 new (with 18 optional) and 26 vintage F-16s to be decommissioned before being handed over to Pakistan. This combination is considered as the best, given the present scenario and the available opportunity. The air chief, however, admitted that the disparity of aircraft vis-a-vis India would remain one to three but the morale, training and manpower etc gave an edge to the PAF. “The F-16s were the major force behind deterring aggression, as they were kept fully operational and available throughout the critical period,” said Mehmood, who took over command of the potent force early this year.

He, however, was unable to assure the nation that this time the deal would be through at all costs. In the past the US has backed out of its promises to suit its interests in the region, he remarked.

It is learnt that the payment schedule would be very easy, as the per-bird price of old F-16s would be on the lower side with two old F-16s had already arrived. The cost of these F-16s is less than a million dollar per piece.

Mahmood dismissed media reports that some US Congressmen had criticised the deal, fearing that Pakistan might transfer F-16 technology to China. “This is all fabricated information,” he said, referring to allegations that Pakistan would pass on technology.

“We adhere to the conditions we sign. There is no such thing as equipment getting out of the country. We can give all assurances they require in this regard. There will be no transfer of technology to any one,” said Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mehmood. He also said Pakistan would continue to pursue other options.

Source: The News
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Thats where all the money is going.
Moin Abbasi
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

Moin wrote:Thats where all the money is going.

YUP! You got that right!

Cities are out of water. Ordinary people(minus VIP's) have to deal with loadshedding becasue of electricity shortage. Price of electricity is so high people think 10 times before using Air Conditioners.

BRAVO to Pakistan's NATIONAL ECONOMIC POLICY eh!
Adnan Anwar
Imran Hassan
Registered Member

Post by Imran Hassan »

Pakistan's economy is doing record well, foreign investors have changed there attitude towards Pakistan and people are now owning wealthy cars, the situation is now improving after decades of hardship.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Personally, I think the addition of new combat aircraft in PAF was long overdue. Finally, these new aircraft will replace PAF's ageing and obsolete fleet of 40-50 year old technology Mirages, F-7s and A-5s.

Abbas

See you at:
zEro.a1r
Registered Member

Post by zEro.a1r »

Imran Hassan wrote:Pakistan's economy is doing record well, foreign investors have changed there attitude towards Pakistan and people are now owning wealthy cars, the situation is now improving after decades of hardship.
WTF!? Owning wealthy cars makes ones economy good? Like how? And since when are cars wealthy?
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

zEro.a1r wrote:
Imran Hassan wrote:Pakistan's economy is doing record well, foreign investors have changed there attitude towards Pakistan and people are now owning wealthy cars, the situation is now improving after decades of hardship.
WTF!? Owning wealthy cars makes ones economy good? Like how? And since when are cars wealthy?

What he means is, People who never have paid a single thala in taxes will benefit from more corruption.

Hardships are only faces by honest and hardworking people and that is the middle class of the pakistan which is sliding down by 85 degree slope angle.

Poor person, ideally no body in the government cares and nor do the wealthy car owners care. However wealthy car owners do care about showing off becasue that is something embedded in Muslims but more in the Arabs. We talk about about Bhai chara and all other bulshit, but seriously do the wealthy people practice it, I only see the poor practice compassion and patriotism.

State of the pakistani politics is such that poor people do not care about the politics and are kept away from education by the feudal lords like Benazir, Nawaz, Ch. Shujat, Musharaf, all the MNA and MPA who do really don't want to loose power and free labour they get.

In conclusion, we need a revolution in Pakistan and in the Muslim world. It is time all the kingdoms need to be abolished and Muslim have tough stand against Anti-Islamic states. Presently these Kings and Dictators are puppets of America and Zionism, and they are doing nothing for Islam except for their own Kingdoms.

Sorry for making this into Political post, Members accept my appplogies.
Adnan Anwar
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

Abbas Ali wrote:Personally, I think the addition of new combat aircraft in PAF was long overdue. Finally, these new aircraft will replace PAF's ageing and obsolete fleet of 40-50 year old technology Mirages, F-7s and A-5s.

Abbas
I think Pakistan should pursue only indegeneous projects like JF-17 and J10 and develop its own aerospace industry. Pakistan should play active role in the chinese top secret projects like XJ-13 etc.
Adnan Anwar
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

Causes of the French Revolution include the following

A poor economic situation and an unmanageable national debt were both caused and exacerbated by the burden of a grossly inequitable system of taxation, the massive spending of Louis XVI and the many wars of the 18th century;
A resentment of royal absolutism;
An aspiration for liberty and republicanism;
A resentment of Manorialism (seigneurialism) by peasants, wage-earners, and, to a lesser extent, the bourgeoisie;
The rise of enlightenment ideals;
Food scarcity in the months immediately before the revolution;
High unemployment and high bread prices resulting in the inability to purchase food;
A resentment of noble privilege and dominance in public life by the ambitious professional classes;
A resentment of religious intolerance;
The failure of Louis XVI to deal effectively with these phenomena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution

I think pk may be heading in that direction.
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
Imran Hassan
Registered Member

Post by Imran Hassan »

I agree it's about time these F-16's are joining the fleet, the old birds needed to be replaced. Chinese Fighters are good but the F-16 is a porven worthy and reliable aircraft known the world over.

F-16 in my eyes was the best option for the PAF.
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

Causes of the French Revolution include the following

Dear Saadu
Comparison with the French revolution though very relevant and many commonalities with the situation we are in today, but take a look at Isreal attacks on Lebenon. HAd Lebenon got a credible defence, like some anti aircraft missiles and/or few fighters, do you think Isreal would have bombed the Beruit airport and other buildings in the city with impunity???? off course uncondiional US support and apathy of world notwithstanding.

YES there should be a mecahnism of accountability and transperency yet never forget, HAI JURM-E-ZAEEFI KI SAZA MARG-I-MUFAJAAT
atmalik
Registered Member

Post by atmalik »

Abbas Ali wrote:Personally, I think the addition of new combat aircraft in PAF was long overdue. Finally, these new aircraft will replace PAF's ageing and obsolete fleet of 40-50 year old technology Mirages, F-7s and A-5s.

Abbas
Abbas I agree with you, this was long over due. Butthe article does not mention anything much about the Chinese fighters in it. Any more infor on those, when and where are we going to get them etc?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

atmalik wrote:Abbas I agree with you, this was long over due. Butthe article does not mention anything much about the Chinese fighters in it. Any more infor on those, when and where are we going to get them etc?
Pakistan is expected to get the first batch of four JF-17s Thunder (Chinese FC-1) in the first quarter of the next year (in March probably). Production of the aircraft will start at Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), Kamra, in June 2007 - Info Source The News.

Photo of the aircraft:
CHENGDU: JF-17 Thunder (Chinese FC-1) prototype 04 takes off for its test flight at an airfield in China’s southwest Sichuan province on Friday (April 28, 2006) - Photo source The News

For more info see related topic: viewtopic.php?t=5610

See you at:
Aphelion
Registered Member

Post by Aphelion »

I agree it's about time these F-16's are joining the fleet, the old birds needed to be replaced. Chinese Fighters are good but the F-16 is a porven worthy and reliable aircraft known the world over.

F-16 in my eyes was the best option for the PAF.
Only till the US policy shifts. I agree that PAF needs modern fighters, however, with the F16s we'll always be at the mercy of US and we all know how reliable they have been in the past. The F16 might be a reliable plane, their supplier is anything but reliable.

The US is happy to sell us F16s as long as we don't use them to defend ourselves. In the 1965 and 1971 wars, Pakistan got no help what so ever from the US, infact all it got were sanctions and embargos.
I think Pakistan should pursue only indegeneous projects like JF-17 and J10 and develop its own aerospace industry. Pakistan should play active role in the chinese top secret projects like XJ-13 etc.
Totally agreed, the Chinese fighters might not be as advanced as the F16 but they are not far behind. I believe (although I could be wrong) PAFs existing F16s are not BVR capable where as the JF17 is. The Chinese fighters also cost less. PAF could have a greater number of these fighters and build up Pakistan's defences that way.

I also think PAF should induct some modern attack aircraft. If Pakistan is ever attacked, God forbid, then it should possess the capability to retaliate.
Saleem Hatoum
Registered Member

Post by Saleem Hatoum »

de
Last edited by Saleem Hatoum on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.