PIA Fokker Down in Multan

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

god bless their souls,
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

From official website of PIA (www.piac.com.pk):

PK-688 (Multan - Lahore) Accident

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) regrets to confirm that one of its Fokker aircraft operating PK-688 from Multan to Lahore was involved in an accident at 1200 hours PST.

At the moment information is being gathered from the accident there were 41 passengers and 4 crew on board.

PIA Media info cell can be contacted on 111-786-786 for updates.

PIA shares the grief with bereaved families of passengers onboard flight PK-688. Family Assistance Centers have been established at:

PIA Complex, Lahore Airport
024-9240790
042-9240788
042-9240791
042-9240735

PIA Town Office, Egerton Road, Lahore
042-9202035

Station Manager Office, Multan Airport
061-9200400

PIA Town Office, Abdali Road, Multan
061-9200396

List of Crew and Passengers OnBoard

Crew:

1 Capt. Hamid
2 First officer Ibrar Chughtai
3 Ms. Tabana Jamil
4 Ms. Amirah Sikindar Azeem

Passengers:
1 Mr. Abdul Rehman
2 Mr. Aftab Hussain Khan
3 Mr. Ahmed Ejaz
4 Mr. Ejaz Ali
5 Mr. Arshad Azad
6 Mr. Asmat ullah Khan
7 Mr. Imtiaz Anwer
8 Mr. Ishfaq Ahmed
9 Mrs. Kanwal Iqbal
10 Mr. Malik Saeed
11 Mr. Mirza Arshed Baig
12 Mr. Mohammad Irfan
13 Mr. Mohammad Murtuza
14 Mr. Raja Ifthikar Ali
15 Mr. Saleem Shah
16 Ms. Sameena Mushtaq
17 Mr. Shakhi Muhammad
18 Mr. Sohail Ahmed
19 Mr. Waseem Ahmed
20 Mr. Zia Haider
21 Mr. Abdul Rauf
22 Brig. Aftab Ahmed
23 Mr. Ali Imran
24 Mr. Altaf Hussain
25 Mr. Anjum
26 Ms. Eish
27 Brig. Farhat Sabir
28 Dr. Farheen Fatima
29 Dr. Farzana Kausar
30 Mr. Habib
31 Capt. Mrs. Hasnain
32 Dr. Humaira Ashraf
33 Mr. Muhammad Aslam Shad
34 Mr. Muhammad Arshad Latif
35 Mr. Muhammad Islam Gill
36 Mr. Muhammad Naeeem Moghal
37 Justice Muhammad Nawaz Bhatti
38 Capt. Naveed Tariq
39 Justice Nazeer Ahmed Siddiqui
40 Professor Muhammad Naseer Khan
41 Ms. Tehseen Zehra
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
umar744
Registered Member

True

Post by umar744 »

My Daarest all friend,
Salam hello
Today I talked my friend Captain Imran Aziz, Capt.Aijaz Haroon and Capt.Tariq Majeed of 777. Capt.Tariq Majeed telephoned PIA Flight Operations ISB airport CONFIRMED Capt.Hamid Fais Qureshi and F/O Abrar Chughtai on AP-BAL Fokker F27 I gave it to history of pia already who informed me news.
Capt.Hamid flew FO F27, 737, 747 then Capt.F27. I am very sad sorry to Capt.Hamid's wife and children. I am pray God Allah for them and all and you.
With love
Umar

Please NOTE someone put my name in forum you see here
Boeing 787
Registered Member

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inalilah-e-Wainalahai-rajiun
May Allah bless all the victims with Janat-ul-firdaus. Amin
My dear friends do not fully believe in media. They have launched a false propaganda. Their news is full of "mirch masalas" exaggerated to the extreme. I request Umar Anis to do something in order to counteract the false facts.
chaklala
Registered Member

Post by chaklala »

Inna Lilahi wa ina elayhee Rajeoon.

May God, in his infinite wisdom, grant peace to the dead and patience to those who have lost loved ones in this terrible tragedy.

As you know from my trip report, I travelled on this very plane last month and took a few photographs. And I kept telling everyone, amused as to why I wanted to fly the F-27, that this was a special occasion as it would be the last time I would ever fly on AP-BAL. How tragically prophetic!

I just wonder if it was the same flight crew.
PIAforME
Registered Member

Post by PIAforME »

GEo NEWS video link on crash.

[url]mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/stream_geo_tv/20060710/1700_Geo_News.wmv[/url]
PIAforME
Charliedelta11
Registered Member

Post by Charliedelta11 »

NOW is the time forr them to ground the F27...if they continue to fly these machines some one ought to sue PIA for reckless endagerment..i'm serious..45 deaths is alot...mayhey RIP

now what i dont get is...some of the facts dont add up...did the engine catch fire and then did the plane crash into the power lines or did it crash intot the power lines first and then catch fire ?
If it fell into the lines first..the big question is why ? and how ? i've heard visibility was 1.2 Km , and the first thing u do when u take off is climb.l..and the power lines are at quite a distance from the runway...

i guess we can all just wait and see till the black box is analyzed...
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

inna lillah hi wa inna ilaihi rajioon

if PIA doesnt ground these fokkers now ... then im sure most of us on this forum will be having issuezs with the airline
zEro.a1r
Registered Member

Re: Indeed Very tragic

Post by zEro.a1r »

ammad wrote:Very Tragic. I pray for those who have lost there life.
Inna lillahi wa-inna ilayhi raji'un
and for those who lost their loved ones. My former Rector to the university was on-board...
zEro.a1r
Registered Member

Post by zEro.a1r »

AirBlue wrote:if PIA doesnt ground these fokkers now ... then im sure most of us on this forum will be having issuezs with the airline
I cant agree more... even the PIA families, ground and flight, should rise up to get a change. This is no fucking joke!

I reported here as soon as I got to know about this incident! :cry:
zEro.a1r
Registered Member

Post by zEro.a1r »

Sorry for the triple post, but I think GeoTV reports in the most heartless manner out there! They call out the names of the perished as if they were some kinda part of a body count! Damn it!

From the report, it tells that the aircraft engine caught fire on take-off. Going from Multan, it wouldnt be hard to imagine that an engine taken to the limit would heat up substantially! But taking the engine to that limit is only needed when there the aircraft is overloaded! PIA also needs to implement a load per passenger policy with the customers!

Thanks for the video link! :cry:
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Look, who cares who's info is right or wrong. The fact of the matter is that whats happened has happened and everyone has confirmed the same.

Its tragic that it had to come to this but I hope this will be a lesson to airlines like Aero Asia and Shaheen of the ultimate possible consequences of operating vintage a/c at a time when they ought to be retired. What makes it even more ironic is the fact that as PIA is right now in the process of replacing these a/c, the timing could not have been worse.

The extreme heat, the age of the a/c and the fact that it was a problematic machine could all have contributed towards this disaster.

BTW how come the co-pilot of a 747 ended up flying this F-27?
Moin Abbasi
Adnaan786
Registered Member

Post by Adnaan786 »

What we must remember is that we can all discuss about what we think happened. We can say this might have happened or that might of happened. Yes it was an ageing aircraft, but at the end of the day let's not forget that nothing happens without the will of Allah.

Sadly for all those aboard that flight little did they know they would be saying bye to their families for the last time on this earth. My condolances to the families of those that lost their lives. Inshallah they will re-unite in the afterlife.
flyingsystem
Registered Member

Post by flyingsystem »

Moin wrote: BTW how come the co-pilot of a 747 ended up flying this F-27?
I think its quite normal because he flew on the 747 as copilot and then "restarted" on the Fokker as F27 Captain.
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Wouldn't that be considered a demotion of sorts?

And now with this a/c written off, how many Fokkers does that leave?
Moin Abbasi
VirtualPIA
Registered Member

Post by VirtualPIA »

Charliedelta11 wrote:NOW is the time forr them to ground the F27...if they continue to fly these machines some one ought to sue PIA for reckless endagerment..i'm serious..45 deaths is alot...mayhey RIP

now what i dont get is...some of the facts dont add up...did the engine catch fire and then did the plane crash into the power lines or did it crash intot the power lines first and then catch fire ?
If it fell into the lines first..the big question is why ? and how ? i've heard visibility was 1.2 Km , and the first thing u do when u take off is climb.l..and the power lines are at quite a distance from the runway...

i guess we can all just wait and see till the black box is analyzed...
The aircraft could NOT climb. ATC knew something was wrong the moment the airplane left the ground.....It caught fire AFTER hitting the ground. My thoughts to all the families of the victims of this terrible crash.
The angle of arrival is inversely proportional to the probability of survival.