Any New Islamabad International Airport updates?

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
zEro.a1r
Registered Member

Post by zEro.a1r »

The new airport is right next to the new Army/Askari Foundation colony! Great Job CAA... you know how to get back at them :D haha! :lol:
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

malpensa26 wrote:ADNAN whos ur inside source? can u get more details :o

and the tender clearly states a contemporary design of 21st century. how does the mughal era design fit in to it? :?

The Project consultant are www.louisberger.com, they are helping PK govt. in the design. There is no Nespak or NCL involved anymore at the moment.

You can fit in Mughalia lines into 21st century. Who can refute that?

As far glassy building are concerned. Not sure with intense heat, direct sunlight, continuing power failures and poorly heated or air conditioned environment whether it will work. As long as we have an energy crises, I would no no to glassy structures.
Adnan Anwar
malpensa26
Registered Member

Post by malpensa26 »

Sunday, June 18, 2006

New Islamabad airport to be named Gandhara

ISLAMABAD: A planned international airport in Islamabad is likely to be named the Gandhara International Airport, after one of the oldest civilisations in the region, Daily Times has learnt.

“The name for the new Islamabad airport, for which the ground is likely to be broken by the end of this year, has been proposed keeping in view the historical and cultural background of the area where it will be constructed,” sources said. Officials believe the proposed name would help promote a “soft image” of Pakistan abroad, sources added. The Civil Aviation Authority has acquired about 1,300 acres of land for the new airport near Fateh Jang. zulfiqar ghuman
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

I would liked it to be called Fatima Jinnah Intl, but i guess Gandhara Intl is not that bad either.

Some information on Gandhara: Wikipedia: Gandhara
Gulistan
Registered Member

Post by Gulistan »

I personally dont like this name and would like it named after a great Pakistani, every one across the world honours its hero's by naming buidings etc after them. This name Gandhara means nothing to any one :( :( :(
I would leaving the main as ISB in the absence of any consensus on a more appropriate name.
My suggestions would be :- Mervyn L Meddlecoate, honours a great son of Pakistan and would please our christian cousins.

http://www.defencejournal.com/dec98/christian.htm
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

Gulistan wrote:I personally dont like this name and would like it named after a great Pakistani, every one across the world honours its hero's by naming buidings etc after them. This name Gandhara means nothing to any one :( :( :(
I would leaving the main as ISB in the absence of any consensus on a more appropriate name.
My suggestions would be :- Mervyn L Meddlecoate, honours a great son of Pakistan and would please our christian cousins.

http://www.defencejournal.com/dec98/christian.htm
I would support regarding recognizing Mervyn MiddleCoat as national hero and be recognized by dedication of a national building under his name.

But our Mullah's would have a heart attack over this and will strongly oppose it.

I would personally recognize middlecoat by dedicating an airbase or even Institute of learning under his name.
Adnan Anwar
piacanada
Registered Member

Post by piacanada »

i will vote for Gandhara Intl