Lufthansa Cargo to resume operation for mango exports

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Lufthansa Cargo to resume operation for mango exports

Post by Abbas Ali »

BY AZHAR ALI KHAN

KARACHI (June 08 2006):
Lufthansa Cargo (Link: Lufthansa Cargo - Pakistan) - the German freight carrier that halted its operations last year in Pakistan - has agreed to resume its operations in Pakistan for two and-a-half month for the export of mangoes to Europe and some far-away destinations, it was reliably learnt here on Wednesday.

Sources said that the German freight carrier had decided to flex its muscles to re-enter Pakistan skies when some of the leading mango exporters of the country approached them four months back, seeking help in bringing their commodity to prime European cities and some far-flung destinations.

Sources have pointed out that Lufthansa cargo would kick-off its operations simultaneously from Karachi and Lahore from 9th of this month (Friday).

"The first shipment of mangoes would be dispatched on Friday (June 9) to Germany and then the same freight carrier would also cover the other European destinations," said a Karachi-based mango exporter who wished not to be named.

He said the mango exporters intend to declare Germany as a hub and are interested to dispatch shipments from Germany to cities of Europe and other targeted areas.

"From Germany, we would send our shipments to Finland, Portugal, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and some other destinations," added the exporter. He said the German freight carrier is the most suitable option for Canadian destinations as well.

Elucidating the details, one exporter said that the German freight carrier would conduct three flights a week and stop its cargo operations somewhere in September, this year.

"The carrier would help export around 45,000 metric tonnes of Pakistani mangoes to a number of European destinations with a target price of 1.85 euro per kg," he remarked.

Commenting on the freight charges, an exporter mentioned, "This time, they (Lufthansa cargo) have revised freight charges upward by Rs 20 per kg to Rs 86 per kg for the European destinations, however, for Copenhagen. Oslo and Athens, they would charge Rs 95 per kg."

While giving reasons why exporters have chosen Lufthansa for mango exports, a leading exporter said, "Lufthansa cargo facilitates service to the whole of Europe," he said. He added that the cargo capacity in Lufthansa is around minimum 35 metric tonnes and maximum 40 metric tonnes, which no other cargo carrier offers," the exporter illustrated.

"The German carrier has its cold storage facility at almost all the airports around the world, that is why the carrier delivers the commodity at preserved condition to the buyer," he said.

The exporters are of the view that the national flag carrier - PIA - should broaden its destination base and urged the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to cut different taxes and charges for foreign airlines, so that they (foreign airlines) could resume their operations into Pakistan as well.

"Swiss Air and Singapore airlines had stopped their operations last year due to increased charges and we only had the option to approach Emirates airline, but we contacted Lufthansa cargo as Emirates airline does not cover the whole of Europe," the exporter informed.

Source: Business Recorder
Last edited by Abbas Ali on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
bagold
Registered Member

Post by bagold »

Looking forward to the mangoes arriving :)
Imran Hassan
Registered Member

Post by Imran Hassan »

I wonder which cargo aircraft they bring into KHI & LHE, I personally would like to see the 747-200F.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

MD-11F is the aircraft that is often seen at Lahore.
P.I.A

God's International Airline
sadiqhassan
Registered Member

Post by sadiqhassan »

yummy!
**Fly Emirates**

PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Amaad Lone wrote:MD-11F is the aircraft that is often seen at Lahore.
Yes, it most likely to be the Md-11F.

Interesting they are just coming for the mango season, im sure there is enough demand per week to fill one of those MD-11F throughout the year ?
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Amaad Lone wrote:MD-11F is the aircraft that is often seen at Lahore.
Two weeks back I was at Lahore airport to drop my cousin who was leaving for Singapore, I saw the same MD-11 there of Lufthansa. What was that doing there if the operations have been stopped a while ago?
Adnan
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

LH Cargo never left Pakistan, only Karachi was dropped they continued with Lahore services.
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

The one which I saw in Lahore was in full LH colors.
Adnan
Lufthansa Cargo
Registered Member

Post by Lufthansa Cargo »

Asallaam alaikum,

A while back LH Cargo did briefly stop their ops in pakistan but did quickly re-started services. I beleive that this may have happened due to the problems with the initiation of our new charlies (LH-MD11Fs). At the time I was told by our company that our freight was being flown by PIA to either DXB or FRA.

You also might see us operating by the following airlines:

Air Atlanta Icelandic brought our B742Fs And I believe that we are Wet Leasing them back for our B747 needs.

Gemini Air Cargo DC10s/MD-11Fs are being used transatlantic to JFK. Our Charlies barely come here.

We hate our MD-11s and Gemini Aircrafts so much that the company is practically crying to find a solution. According to what I here we are looking into the new B748Fs and will most likely get them to replace our charlies.
Salem Aziz

GF: A340, B767 AA: AB6 KU: B772 ER, AB6, A320 LH: B744, A343 EK: A345, B772, A332 PK: B74M, B743, B772 MH: A330 E4: DC9 QR: B77W, A332. PA: A320
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Last week I saw an Air Atlanta 742F standing at KHI.
Moin Abbasi