First PIA ATR leaves Toulouse

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
flyingsystem
Registered Member

First PIA ATR leaves Toulouse

Post by flyingsystem »

SOURCE:Flight International
Picture: First Pakistan International Airlines ATR 42-500 leaves Toulouse with new City of Gwander livery
DATE:31/05/06

By Adil Ahmad in London

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has received the first of seven ATR 42-500 high speed turboprop from the Franco-Italian manufacturer. It sports a the first of a new city-based livery scheme, to be rolled out across its domestic fleet.

PIA signed an agreement with ATR in November 2005 for the seven, which will replace the airline's current fleet of ageing Fokker F-27s. Three of the 48-seat single-class configuration ATRs are due for delivery this year, and the remainder in 2007. The first aircraft left Toulouse yesterday (pictured below).

The contract was signed by the airline's chief executive and chairman and Filippo Bagnato and by the general consuls of France and Italy. The total value of the contract is around $100 million dollars.

PIA says it chose the -500 family due to its good performance when operating from hot and high locations and short runways, of which Pakistan has many in its domestic network. The maximum takeoff weight of PIA's ATR 42-500 is increased to 18,600kg (40,920lb), allowing a payload growth to 5,450kg. The aircraft has a range of more than 2,775km (1,500nm).

This ATR is sporting a brand new livery for PIA, with colours reflecting the "New port city" of Gwander. The airline recently launched a programme to paint its long haul aircraft in provincial liveries and will paint its domestic ones with the names of cities it serves.

The first batch of Pakistani pilots have been trained by ATR in Toulouse, and 28 more first officers are due to be sent for training this year.
link: flightglobal.com
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Related news item:

PIA to acquire latest fuel-efficient aircraft

LAHORE, May 30 (APP):
Chairman Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), Tariq Kirmani Tuesday said that country’s national carrier was in the process of acquiring latest fuel efficient aircraft to become more competitive vis-à-vis other airlines of the world.

“We are replacing old aircraft with the new ones; PIA plans to bring down the average age of the plane from the present level of 22 years to 9 years,” he said while talking to newsmen at Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) here this evening.

Kirmani said that an ATR plane would be handed over to PIA tomorrow (Wednesday) while two other planes of this make would be provided to the airline during next six months.

He said that the airline was acquiring Boeing 777s with an objective to replace the old ones.

Responding to a question, he said that there was no plan of downsizing in PIA.

Source: Associated Press of Pakistan
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ATR Press Release

PIA takes delivery of its first ATR 42-500 aircraft

Toulouse, May 31st, 2006

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) today took delivery of its first ATR 42-500 aircraft. This aircraft is the first to be delivered following the signature of a contract for seven new ATR 42-500s unveiled in November 2005 for a total value of US $100 million. The delivery ceremony took place in Toulouse in the presence of Syed Farooq H. Shah, Deputy Managing Director of PIA and Filippo Bagnato, Chief Executive Officer of ATR.

PIA, which is the Flag Carrier of Pakistan, will take delivery of two other aircraft in November and December 2006 and four more until May 2007.The aircraft will replace PIA’s aging F-27 aircraft fleet operated on socio-economic routes. Thanks to that delivery, ATR enters a new country.

Syed Farooq H. Shah stated: “This delivery represents an important step in our commitment to the people of Pakistan. We trust in the ATR aircraft and we expect to strength this relationship in the future”.

”I’m very happy to deliver the first ATR aircraft to PIA. I’m convinced that we will develop a long-lasting partnership with this new ATR customer,” said Filippo Bagnato. He added “PIA will benefit from a modern aircraft with unbeatable economics and the highest comfort in its class”.

The ATR 42-500 aircraft is equipped with a cabin specially designed by PIA and counts ten Economic Plus seats. The purchase transaction of seven turboprop aircraft from ATR shall further strengthen Pakistan’s economic ties with France and Italy in particular and with Europe in general for years to come.

Since the beginning of the programme, ATR has sold 806 aircraft (399 ATR 42s and 407ATR 72s) and delivered 694 aircraft (384 ATR 42-500 and 310 ATR 72-500).

About PIA

Founded in 1955, PIA operates 66 destinations (42 international and 24 domestic) with a total fleet of 41 aircraft, 7 of which are regional aircraft. www.piac.com.pk.

About ATR

Toulouse, Southern France-based regional aircraft manufacturer ATR is the world leader in the 50 to 70-seat turboprop market. In 2005, ATR posted a turnover of $542 million, an increase of 15% compared to 2004. ATR is an equal partnership between Alenia Aeronautica (Finmeccanica group) and EADS. ATR is certified ANSI/ISO/ASQ Q 9001:2000 and EN/AS/JISQ 9100, the worldwide quality standard in the field of aeronautics.

Source: ATR Press Release
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
flyingsystem
Registered Member

Post by flyingsystem »

The ATR 42-500 aircraft is equipped with a cabin specially designed by PIA and counts ten Economic Plus seats.
I think the seats will ressemble to the seats in the refurbished cabin of the 737 fleet.

A question for HOP member MOIN: Do you have the pass for the presentation of the first ATR? It would be really interesting if you have it :wink: .
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Check out the two pictures they have on the official ATR website... :lol:

Go to the following link and download the images to see them;

ATR Aircraft: Press Releases
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

Nice find PK777. Here's a preview
Image Image
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

A question for HOP member MOIN: Do you have the pass for the presentation of the first ATR? It would be really interesting if you have it :wink: .
And take a camera with you if they allow.
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Saadu wrote:Nice find PK777. Here's a preview
No problem... :lol:

BTW, how is that guy standing next to the CEO of ATR ??
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

Farooq Shah, DMD
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Sorry guys. I ain't going. TK's daughter is out of the country for 2 weeks and I do not want o call up her dad and ask for something so trivial as an apron pass.

I have his cell number but before doing anything I called up another friend of mine who's worked under him when they were both in Caltex and asked her if I should call him up with the request and she advised me not to as someone as busy as he is, and as his daughter has probably not told him (she told me to give her 2 days notice beforehand but she left last week and I still didn't know when it was due to arrive), it would look very forward and basically judging from her previous experience of working under him, she thought it not a good idea. Besides I'd rather go through her as she's my friend and I only met TK once at the 777 ceremony so I'd rather not do anything behind her back.

Theres another one coming in Nov, so I might just go then. There will be others who'll take plenty of pics anyway.
Moin Abbasi