Teamwork will take PIA to new heights: Kirmani

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Teamwork will take PIA to new heights: Kirmani

Post by Abbas Ali »

KARACHI (May 13 2006): Teamwork together with dedication and commitment of all employees will further take PIA to new heights. PIA Chairman and CEO Tariq Kirmani stated this, while addressing the cockpit crew at the PIA Head Office in continuation of a series of communication meetings with the airline employees.

He said that the initiatives taken so far have resulted in accomplishing remarkable progress in the airline and it has registered a growth and upward trend in all areas of its operations.

The performance indicators of the airline such as seat factor, yield, passenger traffic, market share, aircraft utilisation and share values have shown a significant increase in 2005.

The seat factor increased to 73.1 percent in 2005 as compared to 69.1 percent in 2004. With a 10 percent growth in passenger traffic, the share of domestic market was up by 65.6 percent and international market share was up by 50 percent in March 2006. Fleet utilisation was higher than in 2004 and even better than the industry average. PIA recorded the highest punctuality rate in the last 26 years of its history that averaged 87 percent. In fact, on May 8, 2006, punctuality of the airline touched 100 percent, an event unprecedented in the history of the airline.

Emphasising upon the importance of service standards, he said that the airline's focus must be on customer satisfaction as a single disgruntled passenger can shun away 20 passengers.

Appreciating the improvement in service standards, he said, the feedback received from the passengers in 2004 was 160 per week and out of this number of complaints were a massive 43 percent. The situation has totally changed now and PIA is receiving around 1600 inputs with a decline in number of complaints to only 12%.

"We in PIA have now targeted to bring this down to zero", Chairman Tariq Kirmani announced.

He talked about airline's financial health which, he described very encouraging, but for the phenomenal rise in fuel prices.

The airline, he said, was able to achieve revenue of Rs. 64.07 billion indicating an increase of Rs 6.2 billion in 2005 over 2004, - a growth of 11%.

"If we keep the fuel prices constant at 2004 level, PIA would have made on operating profit of Rs.3.328 billion whereas the airline recorded a loss of Rs. 54 million at the very same fuel prices as in 2004".

This positive aspect has to be appreciated as it reflected the airline's overall performance, he said and informed that the airlines has hedged fuel and has also taken government and PIA Board permission to hedge fuel upto 20% of total fuel required by PIA.

Source: Business Recorder & Associated Press of Pakistan
Last edited by Abbas Ali on Sat May 13, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

I have little respect for TK's moves and his marketing initiatives. Just looking at the equipment switch on the Frankfurt - Amsterdam route with in 3 weeks and the complete fisaco of the hyped up Bangkok launch. Nairobi was added just to be dropped in a few months. There seems to be NO research or route feasability analysis.. PIA thinks the best way is to actually take the plunge and find out later. All part of TK's new vision i believe.

On another note, it is believed that atleast 2 747s will be grounded early next year. 8 B747 captains are retireing by the end of 2006 with only one replacement being trained.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

Any chance of exsisting 747 captains getting extensions??

India recently raised the retirement age from 60 to 62.

If the exsisting captains can work till 62, then the cost of training additional crew will not be needed.

What rules does PIA follow on retirement, verus the Indians who are getting their pilots to fly till 62.
P.I.A

God's International Airline
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

Indians have upped their age limit from 62 to 65 this year.

ICAO council on 10 March 2006 has increased the age limit of commercial pilots operating two-pilot aircaft to 65. The new provisions becomes applicable on 23 November 2006.

This month Capt Adnan (A310) the Chief Pilot Planning Schedulling has joined Qatar. Capt Humayun and Capt Hamid Afzal (both 777) are set to join Emirates in the coming months. This complimented by the rate of retirement, upping the age limit may be the only option left for PIA. Maybe thats the NEW height TK keeps on referring to.
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

haha..quite right..its empty talk and rhetoric..pia is surely gonna need more....i dint know capt hamid afzal is leavin for emirates..will call him today....if pia raises the age up to 62, the government faces the risk of backlash from other govt institutions demaning the same change there ... i think pilots in pakistan need to be spun at a fast pace....with just 5 aircraft in all flying clubs put together, i dont see things ramping up for this surge....i have also been told that the 74ms might be deleted from the fleet soon.. a year before planned grounding, although i thought they would keep flying beyond given the fact that they singularly constiture pias cargo capability and there are no replacements in sight....on account of this 6 flight engineers from the bottom have been stricken off pay rolls and sent to different depts...maybe its just a false rumor to justify laying off part of the remaining a300 affectees....
F.K
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

I just heard that the IAH flight is infact carrying no cargo. This is from the captain who operated the MAY 5th pattern. What is PIA doing operating the 74M. :shock:
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

no thats not true.. 74ms carry loads of cargo to both nyc and houstan.. my dads already done 2 flights since the route opened to the jumbos and he him self signs the trim sheet telling me that the cargo hold is full. also it is believed that the 777s due in 08 are now arriving early next year. maybe that is why the planned grounding of the combis has been pushed back. i still havent heard from the management on the cargo fleet planning. earlier they wanted to induct 310s and later had 74fs on the cards. that buzz seems to have evaporated all of a sudden..
F.K
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

well this is not a lie. Ofcorse your source of info happens to differ. I will get the exact figures and post them here for your satisfaction.
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

maybe that flight was a one off case...pia wouldnt be flying the combis there otherwise.infact this one time they had to increase the take off weight because of cargo overload to houstan..(not my dads flt)
F.K
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

pia wouldnt be flying the combis there otherwise

Check the IAH schedule now. I stick to my claim... PIA could not generate any Cargo.
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

the initial plan was to take the 747s off the jfk schedule and reroute them to iah. that decision was reversed because the 74ms were retained on the nyc sector, since they were generating MORE revenue there. the cargo hold was never empty at houstan, on some occasions it was filled right up to the last inch. on others like u said it was empty. they needed to justify spending twice as much on the fuel bill and less pax with more then just that.
F.K
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

i ve been told that the 74ms will be back on the houstan schedule next month...!!
F.K
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

Nice.. you beat me to this one.
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

am i missing the sarcasm or do u really mean that, cus the change of equipment still doesnt show on the website. i just heard of it from a 777 capt.
F.K
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

Yeah not on the website but the 74M is back starting the 9th of June. Still one flight a week. I feel like strangling TK.