Which destination should PIA serve next?

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.

Which destination should PIA serve next?

Los Angeles
42%
San Francisco
8%
Shanghai
4%
Sydney
46%
Johannesburg
No votes

Total votes: 24

sadiqhassan
Registered Member

Post by sadiqhassan »

behramjee wrote:
did you find out if EK ever flew nonstop to JNB with the A 310? as I had mentioned the route according to my memory was mainly via COMMORES ISLAND.
I have an old EK timetable and it shows DXB-JNB flights via Comoros Island.
**Fly Emirates**

sadiqhassan
Registered Member

Post by sadiqhassan »

behramjee wrote:
Sadiq...the publish fare that you have been quoting on few routes are not really the fares that are released by the airline to sell to the flying public. The published fare is 90% of the time higher than the "sellable fare" as the former is largely for pax buying last minute tickets as well as those flying multi-segment flights. EKs KHI-SYD-KHI fare in the off season is around RS 50-55,000 + Tax.
I have (strangely) found the opposite true. The fares I have access to seem to work much better for 1 or 2 segment flights than multi segment flights. For example, from Toronto, the fares the Europe, East Asia, Austrailia etc are the same as the lowest Travel Agent fares because they are usually accesible either nonstop on Air Canada, or 1 stop via Vancouver.

However fares to places such as Karachi, Dubai and Johannesburg which require multiple segments, are much higher as published by Sabre than what they sell for in real life.

When selling fares ex Karachi, I tend to get the cheapest fares in Business / First Class (130,000PKR KHI-YYZ-KHI) , but much more than the Pakistani agent can get in Economy Class (presumably because of discounts)

For example... EK has an unpublished Q fare that sells for (I believe) 52,000PKR + tax . I cannot sell that here from Toronto because it is exclusively for Pakistani agents to sell.
**Fly Emirates**

Jacobin777
Registered Member

Post by Jacobin777 »

Amaad Lone wrote:There is a large Pakistani expat population on the west coast, and no direct airlink available for them to Pakistan.

Los Angeles would be the perfect destination for PIA to cater for not only the west coast but people living in the neighboring states.

I would do Lahore-Los Angeles twice a week non-stop using 777-240LRs.
with SQ restarting service to Pakistan, many pax will prefer traveling from the West Coast to Pakistan with SQ...

if PK can get their pilot/FAA problems sorted, then I think LAX-MAN-KHI would be a very profitable route!
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

yeah i found an old timetable of Emirates summer 1999 to be precise, and it says that flights are non-stop on the A 310 on the JNB-DXB-JNB sector. In summer 1999 4 flights were non-stop DXB-JNB-DXB on the A 310 and 3 were routed via Comores (Moroni) DXB-HAH-JBN-HAH-DXB

I also found this on the internet as well:
Emirates announced in a press release that it is to cease operations to the Comoros Islands from 15 January 2000 onwards. Daily flights to Johannesburg will continue and will now be non-stop daily using A310-300 aircraft configured in three classes. Emirates used to fly 3x weekly to Moroni and my guess is that low load factors coupled with demand for capacity to JNB led to the company's decision to drop the city from its route network. Furthermore, as predicted on this site a few months ago, flights to JNB will be upgraded to A330-200 equipment from 1 February onwards.
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

Would PK have passenger traffic rights to from Karachi and Anchorage & to/from Anchorage and San Francisco?
China Airlines use ANC on their flights to America from China. PIA can use ANC for a tech stop if they ever plan serve SFO. It makes a very good cargo stop as well. China airlines do have traffic rights to ANC from Taiwan and JFK-ANC-JFK as well. Korean Air also has traffic rights and these are passenger flights, not cargo.

Cathay pacific, Asiana, and Korean airlines ANC for a stop over as well en-route to the US as well. However, CX and Asiana use ANC for a tech stop only.
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"