ISB one runway?

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Aftab PK786
Registered Member

ISB one runway?

Post by Aftab PK786 »

Usalamulkium,

I don’t know about you guys but Islamabad International Airport only having one runway really disturbs me especially when it is the capital.

What do you guys think?

Should we have two runways because i seriously think so we should?
Long Live Pakistan and Its People
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

I thought that the new airport was going to take care of that?!
flyingsystem
Registered Member

Re: ISB One Runway?

Post by flyingsystem »

Aftab PK786 wrote:Should we have two runways because i seriously think so we should?
First time I came to ISB I was disapointed when I saw on the Time table at the airport that it was showing all the flights coming in the hole week: we can have an idea with this of the traffic there!!! When we see on other airports ther is only the time table for the journey!!!!!!
I think it is not important to have 2 runways at ISB: there is no need for this!
iqbal
Registered Member

Post by iqbal »

there ARE two runways at Islamabad, the runway 30-12 and the 09-27 runway - i believe that 09-27 is not in use.
Iqbal Malik
------------------------------------------
atmalik
Registered Member

Post by atmalik »

If you look at the following picture, you can see 2 runways. Now as Iqbal has said it doesnt seem that the second one is used that much, but i guess if the need arises it can be used.

Also if you look at this second picture, you can see a second airport on the lower left hand corner of the picture. I think that could be the army avaiation base in Dhamial, but maybe Abbas or someone can shed some more light on that.

Althought I doubt that the second strip could be used in emergencies in ISB.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Army aviation base in Rwp is acctually the Qasim Base which is popularly known as Home of Army Aviaiton. It has got no runways because this base is only for choppers, no need for the it.

As far as PAF base is concerned, we all know that it is attached with Isb airport, C-130s and other PAF aircrafts use the same runway as used by PIA and other carriers.
Adnan
Valkyrie
Registered Member

Post by Valkyrie »

Qasim AB (fomerly Dhamial) has a 6500ft runway if I'm not wrong. It also has a VVIP aircraft facilities. Though its mostly home to the Army's chopper fleet and a few workshops. It best to check the latest CAA AIP.

http://www.islamabadairport.com.pk/runway.html
Last edited by Valkyrie on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Thanks Haroon for correcting me, Acctually I went to that place where Qasim base is and couldn't figure out where can the runway be. That base is all surrounded by buildings and runway neends some wide area.

Anyways, I'd confirm it from my friend who lives very close to that area.
Adnan