Need suggestions for a trip route. Khi => Detroit and bac

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Waqar747
Registered Member

Need suggestions for a trip route. Khi => Detroit and bac

Post by Waqar747 »

My family and I intend to visit the US in April and come back by the end of May. Our destination in the US will be Detroit, MI. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a route for me. I know we have a very informed pool of aviation enthusiasts here and I sure could use your help. The route has to be planned keeping in mind that I would have my parent travelling with me and they (specially my mother) would not want a very long total flight time from KHI-DTW. Additionally she has some reservations about sitting in an aircraft for more than 8-9 hours. I don't know how the LR fares in this department considering we'll be travelling economy. Maybe if she gets some legroom (bulkhead seats?), she'll be able to take that 14 hour stretch on the LR to JFK (starting from 28 Mar?).
I have looked around and found some options (PIA via JFK, PIA via MAN-Chicago, Emirates via DXB-JFK, Emirates via DXB-London), but I would think you guys could better guide me on what to take.
Would be great if I could get some quick replies, I sort of need this in a hurry.
Thanks in advance.
sadiqhassan
Registered Member

Post by sadiqhassan »

hi,

assuming that price is a factor as well: for 70,000PKR or so you can fly on Air France. The airport in Paris is a nightmare, but flying times are spread out nice and evenly - with no flight longer than 8.5hrs. Route would be Karachi - Dubai - Paris - Detroit.

You would have 1 hour in Dubai and around 4 hours in Paris both ways.

Cheers
behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee »

If you have a green card or U.S. pspt then fly KLM or Air France from PAK via DXB and their AMS or CDG hub respectively nonstop to DTW...they have good fares to USA in the Pakistan market.
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

I agree with behramjee. I traveled DTW-AMS-DXB-KHI with not more than 2 hours transition between changeovers. You would be traveling EK-KLM-NWA for your KHI-DTW route and no one leg is more than 8 hours.
PIAinORD
Registered Member

Post by PIAinORD »

I concur with behramjee and Nasir, KHI-DXB-AMS-DTW is the way to go. From AMS you can fly either KLM or Northwest to the States. Northwest has a sizable hub in Detroit and their A330's are very nice from what I hear.
sadiqhassan
Registered Member

Post by sadiqhassan »

PIAinORD wrote:I concur with behramjee and Nasir, KHI-DXB-AMS-DTW is the way to go. From AMS you can fly either KLM or Northwest to the States. Northwest has a sizable hub in Detroit and their A330's are very nice from what I hear.
KLM doesn't fly AMS-DTW except on codeshare OP by NW...

KLM doesn't seem to offer fares that can be purchased online for travel from Karachi to Detroit. I would contact an agent in Karachi for the best deal.

Cheers
Waqar747
Registered Member

Post by Waqar747 »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really like the KLM-NWA plan, specially with those <3hr stops at each connection.
I don't have a green card or U.S. PP. What difference would that make? Would it mean we would need visa's for the AMS stopover?
behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee »

I don't have a green card or U.S. PP. What difference would that make? Would it mean we would need visa's for the AMS stopover?
HOLD YOUR HORSES !!!

Without a Green Card or US pspt, you would need a TRANSIT VISA for EUROPE so if you dont want to go through that hassle then youre only option is flying via LGW or LHR.

However KLM Pakistan office arranges for you a transit visa within 5 business days if you buy a KLM ticket to USA via AMS.
Last edited by behramjee on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waqar747
Registered Member

Post by Waqar747 »

behramjee wrote:However KLM Pakistan office arranges for you a transit visa within 5 business days if you buy a KLM ticket to USA via AMS.
That would solve our problem then, I assume. I find this route really convenient since the total trip duration is acceptable, and so are the individual flight durations.
There is this other option via EK which is KHI-DXB-LGW-DTW. Pretty similar to the KLM one minus the visa hassle. We might go for that one if KLM proves to be a hassle.