KHI-ISB PK300 & ISB-KHI PK369

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Moin
Registered Member

KHI-ISB PK300 & ISB-KHI PK369

Post by Moin »

KHI-ISB:

Had to make one of my flying visits to ISB again today. Drove myself to JIAP at around 5.30am (my favourite time of day for driving in KHI, so quiet and peaceful), parked my car and walked inside and checked in w/o any baggage. Staff friendly and courteous. Several domestic flights leaving including an ED 320 to ISB, PIA 777 to LHE and our 743 (BFV) to ISB. Boarding was by row # starting from the rear and as I was in row 29, had to wait till all remaining pax were called. Crew were friendly and polite. Pushback on the dot at 7am. Saw an MNG 734 being towed to the intl terminal in full MNG colors. Taxied very fast out to the runway, swung around and off. A/c was 2/3rds full. Breakfast consisting of a small omelette and a sausage shaped potato, which looked pretty vulgar to me, was served, along with drinks and tea/coffee. All through, the crew were attentive and polite. Nasty turbulence in midst of the tea service but nothing out of the ordinary happened. Landed at ISB at 8.45am to one of the softest and smoothest landings I've ever experienced (Capt Bakhtiar)and saw the ED 320 which took off after us was already there. Nothing unusual at ISB except the 2 degees celcius which made me glad I brought a jacket.

PK369:

Driven back to ISB by a metrocab driver who took me literally when I told him to step on it as I was late. A few near misses to say the least. Arrived an hour before the 3pm departure. Check in smooth. MNG 734 TC-MNL parked at ISB with a foreign crew and a USAF a/c was taxiing out for takeoff. Don't know what it was but it had 4 engines and 744 type winglets. Another MNG 734 TC-MNI landed which had MNG PAX written on the tail and 'The world of wonders' painted on its fuselage and being used on a PIA domestic flight. Another flight to KHI PK361 was delayed since 1pm and I think one of the MNG's was going to operate it. Our flight was called at 2.30pm and we boarded BFW and I recognised one of the male stewards who comes to my friends video shop in my neighbourhood. I didn't acknowledge him as he has a bit of an attitude problem (past experience) and neither did he. Crew were nevertheless polite. Again a/c was 2/3rds full and departure delayed about 10 mins. After a quick taxi out to the runway and takeoff a tired set of sandwiches were served alongwith cold drinks. No tea/coffee due to 'technical reasons'. No hot water I guess. Captain came onto the PA and gave an update as to the flights progress as well as the cricket match score. But I was so zonked out I nodded off only to be rudely awoken by these 2 girls sitting behind me who poked me from behind a few times wanting to know the time!?? Flight time was 2h 15min as we had strong headwinds but the landing again was superb. Again this time, the MNG 734 TC-MNL which was still sitting at ISB when we took off was at KHI before us. There was also an MNG AB4 and nothing else of much consequence.Got off the plane out of the terminal, into my car and home. Enjoyable flights and good service and performance.
Moin Abbasi
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Oh and in case anyones interested, there was an EK A310F parked there at ISB as well which landed around the time we were boaring the flight to KHI at 2.35pm.
Moin Abbasi
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Very well written trip reports! Enjoyed reading them.

Thank you Moin.
Moin wrote:Landed at ISB at 8.45am to one of the softest and smoothest landings I've ever experienced (Capt Bakhtiar)
Photo of Capt. Bakhtyar Ahmed training Air Universal B747 pilots added today in forum in this topic:

http://www.historyofpia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4172

Another photo of Capt. Bakhtyar Ahmed

PIA Boeing 747-240BM (AP-BAT) flying under the command of Capt. Bakhtyar Ahmed.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Very nice and intresting trip report there.

Did you let your car remain parked at the airport till your arrival back to Karachi?
Adnan
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Surprised that you switched to PIA from Air Blue just to save just 1000 rupees, what next Iran Air over Qatar Airways to LHR? :lol:

Also noticed you have stopped giving updates on ED and PK from your freinds working with the two, why?
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Switched from ED to PIA to save 1K??? Are you kidding? ED was Rs.700 cheaper than PIA. Its just that I needed to be back in KHI in the afternoon and PK369 is what fitted my schedule just right. Had I taken ED, I would have had to take their 6.30pm flight which was too late for me.

As for my not giving updates from my friends in these respective airlines, I've not spoken to them for a long time. Haven't had time. I'm doing major renovation work at home and I've hardly had time to sleep let alone do anything else.

Yes I parked my car there at the airport in front of McD and it was still there when I got back.
Moin Abbasi
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

As you reminded me about my friend, I just called up and had a chat with my friend in PIA and he told me he has heard that PIA is planning nonstop SYD flights with the 777LR and also is doubtful that they will be allowed to do nonstop Pak-USA flights due to security clearance and a technical stop in Europe will be necessary. The crews are not looking forward to these nonstop flights. He also told me that the 74M's and 743's have crew rest areas just behind the cockpit area which is something I didn't know. He said the 74M rest area was the best.

He also said the MNG 734's are being used for basically domestic Hajj flights as in they pick up the Hajis from places like MUX, LYP etc and fly them to KHI, ISB and LHE where they transfer to a 747 or A310 to JED. Only 2 PIA crew members are put on those flights and a 1 day conversion course is required for them owing to the slight differences in the configuration of the PIA and MNG 737's.

Also the amenity kits have been discontinued and now Business class pax get a very nice leather passport holder. The items that used to be available in the amenity kits are now available in bulk in the toilets. Also the soup service has been reinstated, alongwith a choice of 3 salads and tomato bread in addition to garlic bread.

He's now flying mostly 777 flights and ends up more often doing the YYZ service. Next year he'll be promoted to Group 5.
Moin Abbasi