Singapore Airlines to return to Pakistan

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
behramjee
Registered Member

Singapore Airlines to return to Pakistan

Post by behramjee »

Hi,

As you all know, the Pakistan PM and the CEO of SQ met recently in ISB and here are the results of that meeting :

a) SQ can restart flights to Pakistan.

b) Maximum 10 weekly flights with B 777-200s.

c) 3 weekly to ISB + 7 to LHE and KHI (triangular routing all)

d) Intially SQ will start off with 3 weekly SIN-LHE-KHI-SIN flights then add a 4th frequency and then fly 3 weekly SIN-ISB-KHI-SIN flights.

e) SQ will be restarting flights 100% due to the hard work of their Pakistan GSA's Akbar Group pushing them and the expected launch date is Summer 2006.
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

nice...so will they slip over in ISB/LHE/KHI or they prefer to send 2 sets of crews?
Valkyrie
Registered Member

Post by Valkyrie »

Splendid!!
amerali
Registered Member

Post by amerali »

wow... what a good news.

when I was working for SQ I once spoked to the SQ security manager and he toldme that SQ wont fly to PK before the security situation there would enhance. Its seems to its better now. But anyhow I am very happy for the move....
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Security situation??? What BS. Whe was the last time there was a major security breach? In 1986 with the PAA 747 hijacking. Thats got to be the lamest excuse I've ever heard and besides what threat has SQ ever perceived? They're not a US airline.
Moin Abbasi
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Their crew used to stay at Sheraton which was attacked in 2002, some got injured, but they left KHI after the second bomb attack a few months later at the American consulate.
Kashif
Registered Member

Post by Kashif »

I guess they'll stay in Lahore & Islamabad while skipping stay in Karachi
hasan saleem
Registered Member

Post by hasan saleem »

All flights were suspended after the sherton bomb blast
Valkyrie
Registered Member

Post by Valkyrie »

Moin wrote:Security situation??? What BS. Whe was the last time there was a major security breach? In 1986 with the PAA 747 hijacking. Thats got to be the lamest excuse I've ever heard and besides what threat has SQ ever perceived? They're not a US airline.
The hijacking of flight 117 in 1991 by 4 PPP idiots (I won't use the words hijackers, b'coz they were just too dumb). If i'm not wrong SQ stopped their flights to Pakistan after the May 1998 nuclear tests.
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

I'm sure they quit in 2002.
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Interesting news, hope they do return !! Seems like the meeting paid off ! 8)
malpensa26
Registered Member

Post by malpensa26 »

The problem is many airlines CAN fly to Pak but they chose not too.
Mudassar
Registered Member

Post by Mudassar »

Good news for the aviation industry and tourism in Pakistan - we all have been waiting for this. Let's hope it materializes.

Behramjee, can you reveal the source of this information (or link)?

Regards
Mudassar
behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee »

The SQ, TG and UAL KHI offices near Metropole Hotel KHI is where this information came from.

Infact the UAL office said that they have heard that February 06 is the launch time...though I bet it will be with the start of the summer timetable i.e. March 27th 2006.

Btw Alitalia Cargo have now permamently suspended their weekly B 747F flights to KHI...routing was MXP-KHI-BOM-KHI-MXP.
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

I distinctly recall SQ stopped flying here after 9/11. They were initially operating the A343, then the 772. Even Thai stopped flying here for a while but then restarted their flights.
Moin Abbasi