New Islamabad International Airport Project

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
yasir_nk
Registered Member

Re: New Islamabad International Airport Project

Post by yasir_nk »

Here is some new videos of new ISB int'l Airport has made by Shahid Saleem. In these videos, it is near complete insha allah in June 2014. See this.

A310
Registered Member

Post by A310 »

ICAO and IATA code of the airport to remain the same?
mac777
Registered Member

Post by mac777 »

hopefully not a code with BB.........like BBI/BBZ
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

A310 wrote:ICAO and IATA code of the airport to remain the same?
Most likely it will get new IATA/ICAO codes.

Giving the new airport old airport's codes can create confusion for cockpit crew.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Hamad
Registered Member

Post by Hamad »

mac777 wrote:hopefully not a code with BB.........like BBI/BBZ
I also hope that it wont be something like that.
BBI is already taken by Biju Patnaik Airport (IATA: BBI, ICAO: VEBS) also known as Bhubaneswar Airport \:D/

Anyhow BBX or some other combination with BB are still possible :(
lets hope the best
Best Regards / Wa´alaikumusalam
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) advertisement in today's (January 30) newspaper for pre-qualification of consultants registered with Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) for preparation of feasibility report for construction/development of sustainable rain water resources/dams at three locations around New Benazir Bhutto International Air Port - Islamabad.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to PTV News, today National Assembly was informed that the construction of work of Islamabad's new airport will be completed in year 2016.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

New Islamabad airport to be completed by 2016

New Benazir Bhutto International Airport (NBBIA) – a modern, well-designed and state-of-the-art airport would be completed by 2016.

An airport official said Tuesday that there were several reasons for delay in completion of the mega project including cost of additional acquisition of land for the second runway, increase in the price of dollar, price escalation due to prolongation in execution tenure of the project and increase in costs of consultancy services.

To a question, he said that there was no proposal under consideration for development of any other new airport in Islamabad near Rawat. He said according to the original PC-I, the estimated cost of the project was Rs 37 billion but it was revised to Rs 94.8 million.

To a question, he said a number of irregularities had been identified in the new airport and a committee constituted in this regard had submitted its report.

The official said that the infrastructure, including roads and availability of water, would also be completed for the new airport. He said that by introduction of transparent policy and rules by the government, the CAA can turn new Islamabad airport into a vibrant and beneficial place for future airlines passengers.

He said that due to persistent problems of congestion and many other issues on the Chaklala Airport, the government was actively pursuing work on this project. He said that about 60 percent area of the main building of the airport, cargo sheds and runways were almost ready. He said that the lighting system was also under construction and the Chinese companies were working on this project. He said that Islamabad airport was of great significance because of its geographical location with nearly 626 flights landing and departing in a week.

Construction of the airport, spread over about 3,600 acres, started in April, 2007. It is located near Fateh Jang, 20 kilometres from Islamabad’s Zero Point.

In the designing phase, the CAA hired a French company Airport De Paris (APDI) with the local consultant ie Nespak for infrastructure design of all the facilities except terminal building for the designing of terminal building.

A Singapore-based company CPG was given the task of consultancy. The airport will have capacity to cater for Rs 9 million passengers per annum in the initial stage.

It will be the first airport of Pakistan which can land and park Airbus A380, most wide bodied aeroplane in the world. It has two runways, the main runway is category F runway, which is the highest category for runways. It has the ability to carry the largest and heaviest aircraft. The other runway, which is declared as an emergency runway, is category E runway. CAA also designed a third runway on the other side of the building. When completed, this will cater for simultaneous operations for landing and takeoffs.

The terminal building of airport is being constructed by JV of FWO (Frontier Works Organization) and CSCEC (China State Construction and Engineering Company).

A source in National Highway Authority (NHA) informed that the NHA has been assigned the task to construct network of access road to the new airport. He said that NHA would construct the road network for connecting NBBIA to existing motorways and the project would be carried out through Public-Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement on Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) basis.

He said that the project envisages utilization of the current Motorway Link Road between G.T road Interchange and the Zero Point Interchange. The Link Road will be widened to accommodate additional traffic generated by new airport.

Source: Pakistan Today

See you at:
Ronald_Arif
Registered Member

Post by Ronald_Arif »

Any chance of having a ILS Category III system, ALS, marker beacons at this airport?
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

yasir_nk wrote:Here is some new videos of new ISB int'l Airport has made by Shahid Saleem. In these videos, it is near complete insha allah in June 2014. See this.

Nice Videos, now thats what I call an airport. The new airport is fabulous and sick.
Adnan Anwar
ammad
Registered Member

Post by ammad »

Nice Videos, now thats what I call an airport. The new airport is fabulous and sick.
Fabulous and sick?
Fortune favours brave.
Hamad
Registered Member

Post by Hamad »

ammad wrote:
Fabulous and sick?
I think he wants to express with sick that the airport is looking great / cool - according to my dict. its a expression for it in slang :D :D
Best Regards / Wa´alaikumusalam
Yasir Airways
Registered Member

Post by Yasir Airways »

yeah the other words some of me mates would use i-e wicked loool :lol:
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

I thought our high and mighty PM had decided this airport would not be at this location and the new ISB airport will be made somewhere else?

As for naming this airport NBBIA I doubt that will happen. There are still 2 years to go which gives plenty of time for these ego maniacs to decide what they want to name it. Personally I think Margalla Intl Aiport has a nice ring to it. BB was no JFK.
Moin Abbasi
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

Hamad wrote:
ammad wrote:
Fabulous and sick?
I think he wants to express with sick that the airport is looking great / cool - according to my dict. its a expression for it in slang :D :D

YAP! Sick in this context mean awesome. :P
Adnan Anwar