Duty on Mobile phones upon arrival in Pakistan

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
alimirfin
Registered Member

Duty on Mobile phones upon arrival in Pakistan

Post by alimirfin »

A message has been circulating on social media that anyone who is travelling to Pakistan in the coming time, should arrange photocopies of ID, Passport, Boarding Pass etc in advance to avoid long ques at airports in Pakistan. The mobile phone registration process required these photocopies and getting copies at the airports is more expensive than normal plus too much hastle.

Anyone has gone through this or its just a joke of social media?
Any experience or information then kindly share.
Last edited by alimirfin on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Duty on Mobile phones upon arrival into Pakistan

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to news sources:

Counters established by Pakistan Customs at airports for the registration of mobile phones will be closed this month.

People will be able to get their mobile registered by going to office of their cellular service provider in their city in Pakistan where mobile phone will be registered with Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA).

Pakistan Customs at airports will only collect duty imposed on mobile phones.

Duty will not be imposed on single mobile phone.

In case of more than one mobile phones imported, duty will be imposed under different categories according to price/value of the mobile phone.

https://www.roznama92news.com/efrontend ... ate=&n=n36

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has launched online mobile Device Registration System (DRS) for passengers arriving in Pakistan from abroad.

Any mobile device entering Pakistan can be registered at https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/drs/auth/register_individual / https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/drs/ within sixty days after arrival to prevent it from getting blocked in the country.

Travelers have thanked the government for taking this step that saves them from standing in long queue at airports for mobile device registration.

International traveler in a year can get one mobile phone registered for free. Four more mobile phones can be registered with the payment of tax.

Mobile device already registered in Pakistan does not need to be registered again.

https://e.jang.com.pk/02-17-2019/Multan ... =04_26.png

Abbas

See you at:
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

Does this mean that if I am coming from the UK, i need to register my everyday use personal device on this website for the authorities?
Jamshed
Registered Member

Post by Jamshed »

If the device previously used in Pakistan, it should appear as "COMPLIANT" in DIRBS. In case it is a new device, you just need to register it free of cost through the online system. It takes 2-3 working days and you receive a registration confirmation.
umar744
Registered Member

Post by umar744 »

YES or NO Foreign visitor can bring phone mobile to Pakistan with or without registration but foreign mobile phone with international roaming (NOT Pakistan's SIM card) yes or no two phone mobile on foreign visit Pakistan for short time?
I tried to click DRS registration but it not working.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

In February 21 newspaper:

Online Mobile Device Registration System for International Travelers

Easy - Speedy - Hassle Free

Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) in consultation with Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has developed an online Device Registration System. International passengers are required to register mobile devices within 60 days from date of arrival in Pakistan.

Register now:https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/drs/

If you do not register your device within 60 days, your device shall be blocked!

*As per customs baggage rules, an international traveler can avail duty/tax exemption on ONE mobile device in a calendar year. The duty/tax exempted devices also need to be registered through this system.

Helpline: 051-9213749, 9216767

Email us at: typeapproval@pta.gov.pk

Visit: https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/

Pakistan Telecommunication Authority

Abbas

See you at:
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

During my last visit in December 2018, i was informed to pay duty for 26K for a mobile phone with price of 44K :roll:
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
mianazeem
Registered Member

Post by mianazeem »

And as expected the website is not reachable for last two days.
Abdulrafeysiddiqui
Registered Member

Post by Abdulrafeysiddiqui »

The website will surely take some time to handle even a little load. It would be far better to register through airport counters than to register online.
JayeHussain
Registered Member

Post by JayeHussain »

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you could help.
I am due to travel to Pakistan on the 7th June for 1 week.
I have 2 mobile phones, 1 is my personal phone & the other is a company provided phone.
In an ideal world, I want to be able to check my work emails whilst I am away however, I am really confused as to what to do.
Is it best that I leave 1 phone behind?
Can someone please advise?
Thanks.

Jaye
BaDaR
Registered Member

Post by BaDaR »

JayeHussain wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 am Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you could help.
I am due to travel to Pakistan on the 7th June for 1 week.
I have 2 mobile phones, 1 is my personal phone & the other is a company provided phone.

Jaye
Hi

You can take both and don't need to do any thing. Both mobile will continue to work for 60 day after first time switch on ij Pakistan. If you want to use it after 60 days then you have to register. Otherwise just ignore all the warnings and info.

I travelled last month for 4 weeks and had 2 mobiles as well. Didn't register or did anything.

Just for safe side, Keep your both mobile in you dress pockets when you arrive bcz custom staff is very much corrupt and if they detect any Mobile in your luggage they will demand you for custom charges or in other words corruption money. They are not allowed to charge custom on mobiles So best is to keep ur mobile in pockets and you will be safe.
Tuti Fruiti
Registered Member

Post by Tuti Fruiti »

One and only one mobile for personal use is ok. As per reports, 2.8 million such mobile are in pipeline to be blocked or are blocked unless they pay the taxes. A person who plans to bring an extra mobile for whatever reasons (personal use or gift to freind family) has to pay the tax mentioned and there is no way out. Depending upon one preference and tax rates, a person can decide whether to bring a mobile phone to Pakistan or not.!!
Some examples of taxes on mobiles.
Iphone XS MAX 512 GB ~Duty 1449 USD
Samsung Note 8 ~Duty 650 USD
and so on.

https://pakwired.com/custom-valuation-f ... le-phones/
fahadshakeel
Registered Member

Post by fahadshakeel »

it's insane.
In December I redeemed my Etihad guest miles and don't know why I did it for a samsung phone worth 70-75K. Unfortunately I ended up paying more than 50K on it's clearance and DHL charges.
I had regret for ordering and then the problems I faced for it's registration & duties etc.

I am warning everyone not to order any mobile phone online. However; bringing one in one yr under baggage rule is fine but not a guarantee because someone had just one phone and even it was rejected by PTA.
Connecting Businesses through Travels
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

fahadshakeel wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:41 pm it's insane.
In December I redeemed my Etihad guest miles and don't know why I did it for a samsung phone worth 70-75K. Unfortunately I ended up paying more than 50K on it's clearance and DHL charges.
I had regret for ordering and then the problems I faced for it's registration & duties etc.

I am warning everyone not to order any mobile phone online. However; bringing one in one yr under baggage rule is fine but not a guarantee because someone had just one phone and even it was rejected by PTA.
Fully agreed, never import anything through courier to Pakistan. I sent a pair of football shoes for my son through DHL, ended up paying PKR 7500 as custom duty. The shoes we got free on a deal. :applause: :applause: :applause: