PAK-UK Direct flights and PIA market share

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
BJ911
Registered Member

PAK-UK Direct flights and PIA market share

Post by BJ911 »

According to latest reports Direct traffic between Pakistan and UK is 6.5 Lakh passengers annually carried by PIA entirely to and from British cities of London Manchester and Birmingham.

National carrier is operating 22 flights per
week to UK from Karachi Lahore and
islamabad with an exceptional load of 92%
year round. PIA is extremely popular
among British Pakistanii diaspora due to
Nonstop flights and luggage allowance
:thumbs_up:
amjid84
Registered Member

Re: PAK-UK Direct flights and PIA market share

Post by amjid84 »

BJ911 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:45 am According to latest reports Direct traffic between Pakistan and UK is 6.5 Lakh passengers annually carried by PIA entirely to and from British cities of London Manchester and Birmingham.

National carrier is operating 22 flights per
week to UK from Karachi Lahore and
islamabad with an exceptional load of 92%
year round. PIA is extremely popular
among British Pakistanii diaspora due to
Nonstop flights and luggage allowance
:thumbs_up:
Expect these figures to drop when BA resume flights, esp on LHR-ISB route. The only reason why people fly PK is the direct flights. So with BA also to resume direct flights, PK needs to up-their-game, Big Time to remain competitive.
Ammar
Registered Member

Post by Ammar »

amjid84 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:05 am Expect these figures to drop when BA resume flights, esp on LHR-ISB route. The only reason why people fly PK is the direct flights. So with BA also to resume direct flights, PK needs to up-their-game, Big Time to remain competitive.
Even though PIA's monopoly on the London route will drop, I personally think the ME Airlines & Turkish will also take huge, if not bigger hits.
Looking at BA's fares, it seems they aren't really trying to compete with PIA and are more focused on the ME3 & TKs pax.

For example, a flight in the summer of 2019 shows PIA quoting 95k return, Emirates quoting 118k return and BA quoting 157k return (all with tax). The gap between PIA & BA in Club class is also around 200k return when tax and everything is included, but the gap between EK & BA is around 60k.

IMO, BA might be trying to steal pax away who:
1) only fly the ME3 or TK due to the poor quality of PIA, but would prefer a direct flight with good service.
2) fly the ME3 or TK due to their vast connections to the US & EU, both of which British Airways could serve better with greater frequencies.

And ofc there is the 3rd class; those PIA pax who will switch to BA due to better service.
But will the majority of PIA's clients really desert it and be willing to shell out almost double the price? I would suppose the majority of PIAs pax fly it because it is cost-efficient and direct, but the cost-efficiency is the major part.

Then again, might be wrong.
"A mile of highway will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Tuti Fruiti
Registered Member

Post by Tuti Fruiti »

Exactly..

Direct flight is traded for quality and price and that's the main reason PIA has high load factor on Pak-UK..
ME3 and TK will also get a substantial decline in their Passenger number originating from Pak
uzkt01
Registered Member

Post by uzkt01 »

Agree. BA will take over executive and diplomatic traffic from one-stop carriers.
amjid84
Registered Member

Post by amjid84 »

Tuti Fruiti wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:48 pm Exactly..

Direct flight is traded for quality and price and that's the main reason PIA has high load factor on Pak-UK..
ME3 and TK will also get a substantial decline in their Passenger number originating from Pak
Another advantage that ME3 and TK has is 30kg of luggage allowance - where as BA is only offering 23kg. I remember flying TG/SQ with only 23kg, its quite difficult - so I believe BA will have to re-think this. Other OneWorld Carrers offer a mix of 23kg & 30kg... so its not consistent.
BJ911
Registered Member

Post by BJ911 »

Ammar wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:33 pm
amjid84 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:05 am Expect these figures to drop when BA resume flights, esp on LHR-ISB route. The only reason why people fly PK is the direct flights. So with BA also to resume direct flights, PK needs to up-their-game, Big Time to remain competitive.
But will the majority of PIA's clients really desert it and be willing to shell out almost double the price? I would suppose the majority of PIAs pax fly it because it is cost-efficient and direct, but the cost-efficiency is the major part.

Then again, might be wrong.
PIA is highly successful in UK due to Price
sensitive market and offers Direct flight
with excellent luggage allowance.

These advantages outweighs concern
about onboard service and product.
Tuti Fruiti
Registered Member

Post by Tuti Fruiti »

Yes. Agree as Amjid and BJ said..adding to this most of the travelling public in pak - uk sector are families .and definitely 23 kg is not suitable for them at all.
dragonfly
Registered Member

Post by dragonfly »

But BA allows 23kg in hand baggage and a second laptop bag/back pack..... recently traveled to LCA on a hand bag only fare,I did check this on the BA website and it confirms the allowance provided it’s within the dimensions.