The Chaos called PIA and is there a solution???

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Re: The Chaos called PIA and is there a solution???

Post by Amaad Lone »

Abolish qouta system not just from PIA but from all over Pakistan.
If you don't agree with it. Start hiring people on Qouta system for your own company or any business if you have.
I never said quota system was good. While the quota system should be abolished the next of kin jobs should also be abolished. Son follows the father that needs to end also which I think is quite popular specially in PIA.

Plus that is a step to improve PIA in future as people on merit are hired.

What can you do to stop the bleeding. The 3 billion every month going down the gutter.
P.I.A

God's International Airline
riz
Registered Member

Post by riz »

There is no son qouta / Next of kin system currently in place in PIA.
R 1 z .

PK > EK. EI ED FZ WY B6 G9 EY NL QR GF TG PF.
shamxa
Registered Member

Post by shamxa »

Is it bad to suggest the idea of selling LHR slots? (As I have mentioned in one other thread)
Ammar
Registered Member

Post by Ammar »

shamxa wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm Is it bad to suggest the idea of selling LHR slots? (As I have mentioned in one other thread)
In favour of what? Flights to London City and Gatwick?
"A mile of highway will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
shamxa
Registered Member

Post by shamxa »

Ammar wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:41 pm
shamxa wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm Is it bad to suggest the idea of selling LHR slots? (As I have mentioned in one other thread)
In favour of what? Flights to London City and Gatwick?
Currently, Gatwick seems the most sensible decision based on how Emirates and Turkish operate there.

However, a case exists for Stansted as well IMO.

Luton, City and Southend all seem to have too short a runway iirc.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

Emirates flies to both Gatwick and Heathrow catering to demands of different passengers.

PIA should stick to Heathrow.

Depending on the load factor I suggest giving a stopover to the London flight.

Lahore-Frankfurt-London 2 weekly
Lahore-Amsterdam-London 2 weekly
Karachi-Rome-London 2 weekly
Karachi-Athens-London 2 weekly

Islamabad can remain non-stop.

Even an extra 70 passengers per flight will increase the revenue quite a bit, plus PIA will bring back four European stations online.
P.I.A

Ammar
Registered Member

Post by Ammar »

Amaad Lone wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:13 am Emirates flies to both Gatwick and Heathrow catering to demands of different passengers.

PIA should stick to Heathrow.

Depending on the load factor I suggest giving a stopover to the London flight.

Lahore-Frankfurt-London 2 weekly
Lahore-Amsterdam-London 2 weekly
Karachi-Rome-London 2 weekly
Karachi-Athens-London 2 weekly

Islamabad can remain non-stop.

Even an extra 70 passengers per flight will increase the revenue quite a bit, plus PIA will bring back four European stations online.

No one wants to fly to London Heathrow with a stopover.
Almost every major airline on earth flies to LHR, and 95% of them fly direct from their hub. People would rather fly Emirates or the ME3 to LHR than fly PIA via some other city.

After all, that's the main thing PIA offers: a direct flight. Take that away and what difference would there be between PIA and the ME3? In fact, the ME3 would crush PIA on the London route.

So far PIA still holds the upper hand on the LHR routes, let's keep it such.
"A mile of highway will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

No one wants to fly to London Heathrow with a stopover.
Almost every major airline on earth flies to LHR, and 95% of them fly direct from their hub. People would rather fly Emirates or the ME3 to LHR than fly PIA via some other city.

After all, that's the main thing PIA offers: a direct flight. Take that away and what difference would there be between PIA and the ME3? In fact, the ME3 would crush PIA on the London route.

So far PIA still holds the upper hand on the LHR routes, let's keep it such.
Is PIA making money on the London route??

What is the current load factor for the non-stop service??

With a stopover the PIA flight time to London will increase by 2 hours and will probably still be the quickest flight from Pakistan to London and will still be the only "direct" one aircraft service.

The question is economics, is PIA making money and if not then how can it??

I think if PIA fares are cheaper then Emirates Qatar and Etihad and the flight is 10 hours long versus 8 hours then I am sure passengers will still choose PIA.
P.I.A

Ammar
Registered Member

Post by Ammar »

PIA pretty much relies on the London route doing well, which thankfully it is.

In the off season, the seat load is not lower than 70%, and in peak seasons flights are overbooked in both cabins.

Why would a passenger choose to fly PIA when they have Emirates and other airlines at a slightly higher cost but better amenities, time guarantee, good service, IFE, newer, safer planes, a better name and a chance to stop in Dubai, a shopping hub for a few hours?

I'm not criticising PIA, but we must admit compared to the ME3 it's planes are older, dirtier, the service is poor, the IFE is poor, and overall timeliness is poor. Not just PIAs daily, even airlines like British Airways, United and Lufthansa look cheap, dirty and old compared to the advanced ME3.

Not to mention the demand for a direct flight to London trumps demand for a flight to Rome.

You may gain 70 passengers to Rome, but you'd lose 90 for not flying direct without any stopover. A 10 hour flight to LHR with 1 stopover on an inferior airline, or a 11 hour flight to LHR with 1 stopover in a shopping hun on a superior airline, which would you choose? In this case, even British Airways counts as an inferior airline to Etihad and it's likes.
Last edited by Ammar on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uzkt01
Registered Member

Post by uzkt01 »

I agree with ammar here. This is no more 1960s/70s. People would prefer flying direct or take any 1 stop airline with better service.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

PIA pretty much relies on the London route doing well, which thankfully it is.

In the off season, the seat load is not loser than 70%, and in peak seasons flights are overbooked in both cabins.

Why would a passenger choose to fly PIA when they have Emirates and other airlines at a slightly higher cost but better amenities, time guarantee, good service, IFE, newer, safer planes, a better name and a chance to stop in Dubai, a shopping hub for a few hours?

I'm not criticising PIA, but we must admit compared to the ME3 it's planes are older, dirtier, the service is poor, the IFE is poor, and overall timeliness is poor. Not just PIAs daily, even airlines like British Airways, United and Lufthansa look cheap, dirty and old compared to the advanced ME3.

Not to mention the demand for a direct flight to London trumps demand for a flight to Rome.

You may gain 70 passengers to Rome, but you'd lose 90 for not flying direct without any stopover. A 10 hour flight to LHR with 1 stopover on an inferior airline, or a 11 hour flight to LHR with 1 stopover in a shopping hun on a superior airline, which would you choose? In this case, even British Airways counts as an inferior airline to Etihad and it's likes.
Good points.
P.I.A