PIA at London

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
shamxa
Registered Member

PIA at London

Post by shamxa »

So first, thanks for having me and apologies if this has already been covered.

I was thinking perhaps would it be in PIA's interest to stop using Heathrow airport in lieu of another airport which serves London. Also, would that not put PIA in a position to sell it's LHR slots and gain slots elsewhere (which may help offset the losses of the carrier, given the apparent high market value of the LHR slots currently)?

Particularly with PIA Premier no longer being a thing, I can't really see why there would be a significant loss in not using Heathrow anymore. If anyone could explain why this isn't a good idea I would be happy to hear it (particularly with the lack of knowledge I have compared to other forum users).

Many thanks

Edit: Just seen the thread of JFK and New Jersey. Maybe the same principle could apply here?
dreamliner99
Registered Member

Re: PIA at London

Post by dreamliner99 »

THey havnt stopped the premier service, once the receive the a330's from TK it will be resuming. Also I've lived in London my whole life, it's much much more accessible to get to Heathrow compared to Gatwick.
shamxa
Registered Member

Post by shamxa »

dreamliner99 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm THey havnt stopped the premier service, once the receive the a330's from TK it will be resuming. Also I've lived in London my whole life, it's much much more accessible to get to Heathrow compared to Gatwick.
My bad, even with the premier service still active, is it not feasible to do a switch?

The thing was since in the south there are more Pakistanis in the South East and East of London than the South West or West London, could not having a more easterly airport be a nice USP for distance (and possibly cheaper) - as LHR is the furthest airport from them?
cashy
Registered Member

Post by cashy »

Even more Pakistanis might be living in the south-east & east London, connections of Heathrow airport are much easier compared to anyother airport. As well larger Pakistani community is residing on western counties like Slough, Reading etc. & its great connection for them.
If i remember correctly PIA served Stansted for a shorter duration in edition to Heathrow.
Many a times I have used underground trains to catch PIA flights from Heathrow.
shamxa
Registered Member

Post by shamxa »

cashy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:35 am Even more Pakistanis might be living in the south-east & east London, connections of Heathrow airport are much easier compared to anyother airport. As well larger Pakistani community is residing on western counties like Slough, Reading etc. & its great connection for them.
If i remember correctly PIA served Stansted for a shorter duration in edition to Heathrow.
Many a times I have used underground trains to catch PIA flights from Heathrow.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the proportion of Pakistanis greater in the East than the west? It isn't really an ideal connection for the greater number of people then?

Heathrow might have London underground, Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect (a slower heathrow express), but all these just connect to London iirc

Gatwick has access to more mainline services, has an express service (Gatwick Express) and is also connected to London by means of Southern services to Victoria and through London with Thameslink - all of which are in the Oyster zone

London Stansted meanwhile has the Stansted express to London Liverpool Street, mainland services with Abellio Greater Anglia (also to London and further away from London) and Crosscountry services all the way to Birmingham.

If anything, don't these other airports have better and more convenient rail services than Heathrow?