DG CAA Orders Grounding of PIA ATR Fleet

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: DG CAA Orders Grounding of PIA ATR Fleet

Post by Abbas Ali »

Cartoons in today's (December 20) newspapers:

Source: tribune.com.pk

Source: nation.com.pk

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

uzkt01 wrote:ATRs need to leave its fleet.
Since the PK661 crash, i am witnessing a campaign against PIA by the media and social media, creating chaos and hypes among general public about flight safety of ATR as compromised.

We have had seen somehow similar choas after crash of Fokker F-27 at Multan, the remaining fokkers were withdrawn from service in PIA at later stage.

Actually the problem is not lying in ATR fleet inventory neither was in Fokker F-27 fleet inventory, it can happen with any fleet type PIA operates but the main concern is Engineering part, IF the maintenance on fleet are not done as per recommendations by OEM aircraft manufacturer or engine manufacturer.

Some of folks might remember there was problem with Boeing 777 fleet landing gears, some grease issue was arised causing smoke in MLGs upon landing, if i remember correctly that an incident was happen at one of UK stations PIA operates.

conclusion is that ATRs are one of the advanced turboprops in market, if maintained well and timely, there will not be any technical groundings as we are witnessing in form of "Shakedown tests"

last but not least, whether someone wants to grab $$$ for procuring a new aircraft type or replacement of ATRs by creating these type of choas among general public, a big question :?:
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

I agree. Its sickening what the fools in media and social media are portraying. They dont know a boeing from an airbus, still use the 90's 747s to show PIA in news and are self proclaimed experts in all things aviation. Whatever happened to that flight seems chaotic and catastrophic. Something they couldnt recover from, something they couldnt glide out of that the aircraft lost so much altitude in so little time. Pilot error or engineering, until investigations are done, we wont know what really happened.
raihans wrote:
uzkt01 wrote:ATRs need to leave its fleet.
Since the PK661 crash, i am witnessing a campaign against PIA by the media and social media, creating chaos and hypes among general public about flight safety of ATR as compromised.

We have had seen somehow similar choas after crash of Fokker F-27 at Multan, the remaining fokkers were withdrawn from service in PIA at later stage.

Actually the problem is not lying in ATR fleet inventory neither was in Fokker F-27 fleet inventory, it can happen with any fleet type PIA operates but the main concern is Engineering part, IF the maintenance on fleet are not done as per recommendations by OEM aircraft manufacturer or engine manufacturer.

Some of folks might remember there was problem with Boeing 777 fleet landing gears, some grease issue was arised causing smoke in MLGs upon landing, if i remember correctly that an incident was happen at one of UK stations PIA operates.

conclusion is that ATRs are one of the advanced turboprops in market, if maintained well and timely, there will not be any technical groundings as we are witnessing in form of "Shakedown tests"

last but not least, whether someone wants to grab $$$ for procuring a new aircraft type or replacement of ATRs by creating these type of choas among general public, a big question :?:
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
furqan_haider
Registered Member

Post by furqan_haider »

what I think, this unnecessary hype created against PIA is only a small part towards Privatization, what if govt. announces to privatize PIA immediately(including some benefits for their own pockets as usual), will any union be able to pressurize govt. against it? I think not, because most of our nation fooled by media reports will start burning tires on road in support of privatization.
uzkt01
Registered Member

Post by uzkt01 »

I didnt mean that ATRs leave the fleet completely. They are needed to serve airports with smaller runways and lower demand. What I am suggesting is to move these planes to a regional subsidiary and transform PIA into a all-jet airline. This will improve its image, enhance efficiency and increase connectivity as the regional sub will have its own business plan and would be in a better position connect tier 2 and tier 3 cities in Pakistan.. This is done by many airlines in the world like Lufthansa Cityline, Indian Airlines Express, Delta Connections and many others.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

uzkt01 wrote:If PIA wants to improve their bad image, which has gone worst in recent days, ATRs need to leave its fleet.
uzkt01 wrote:I didnt mean that ATRs leave the fleet completely. They are needed to serve airports with smaller runways and lower demand. What I am suggesting is to move these planes to a regional subsidiary and transform PIA into a all-jet airline. This will improve its image, enhance efficiency and increase connectivity as the regional sub will have its own business plan and would be in a better position connect tier 2 and tier 3 cities in Pakistan.. This is done by many airlines in the world like Lufthansa Cityline, Indian Airlines Express, Delta Connections and many others.
now you are contradicting your first post!

my opinion that instead of PIA Express or PIA Premier or even PIA Regional, PIA needed to be intact like the original PIA serving domestically and internationally
Raihan SR Bakhsh

EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
uzkt01
Registered Member

Post by uzkt01 »

raihans wrote:
uzkt01 wrote:If PIA wants to improve their bad image, which has gone worst in recent days, ATRs need to leave its fleet.
uzkt01 wrote:I didnt mean that ATRs leave the fleet completely. They are needed to serve airports with smaller runways and lower demand. What I am suggesting is to move these planes to a regional subsidiary and transform PIA into a all-jet airline. This will improve its image, enhance efficiency and increase connectivity as the regional sub will have its own business plan and would be in a better position connect tier 2 and tier 3 cities in Pakistan.. This is done by many airlines in the world like Lufthansa Cityline, Indian Airlines Express, Delta Connections and many others.
now you are contradicting your first post!

my opinion that instead of PIA Express or PIA Premier or even PIA Regional, PIA needed to be intact like the original PIA serving domestically and internationally
You have every right to have your own opinion. In my second post I have clearly explained my position and suggested something which in my opinion would help PIA and improve connectivity in Pakistan in long term.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

Yes, everyone has right for their opinion.

though my prompt was for your ATR fleet suggestion that ATRs need to leave PIA fleet inventory. Anyhow, our opinions and suggestions won't effect the policies/plans of GOP, what they want to do with PIA, they will do the way they get pleased!
Raihan SR Bakhsh

pk363
Registered Member

Post by pk363 »

raihans wrote:Yes, everyone has right for their opinion.

though my prompt was for your ATR fleet suggestion that ATRs need to leave PIA fleet inventory. Anyhow, our opinions and suggestions won't effect the policies/plans of GOP, what they want to do with PIA, they will do the way they get pleased!
so true, these monarchs of shareef dynasty do not respect the apex courts of the country so why would they care for the 'experts' on opinions on forums like this
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Is ATR 42-500 registration AP-BHM grounded again? A news channel claims the ATR that was cleared to operate flights is grounded again due to some technical issues with the aircraft pointed out by cockpit crew.

Cancelled ATR flights shown on Islamabad Airport website today include:

PK-605 to Gilgit.
PK-249 to Kabul.

http://islamabadairport.com.pk/Schedule ... =Departure

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Cockpit crew reported technical problems with aircraft cabin pressurisation/temperature control, according to 24 News channel.

According to news channel's correspondent, the cockpit crew reported problems in ATR 42-500 registration AP-BHI.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to news sources, officials from PIA and CAA have said that:

Three PIA ATRs have been cleared for flight operations after undergoing shakedown tests.

At least three ATRs are usually based at Islamabad Airport.

PIA Engineering's maintenance, repair and overhaul facilities maintain excellent high standards and the nation should have trust in PIA.

ATRs are popular and used in various parts of the world.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Three PIA ATRs cleared to resume flying after undergoing shakedown tests, according to news sources. Engines and airframe structure were inspected during these tests

The airline also operated flights to/from Kabul with ATR on December 21, according to CAA spokesperson.

DAWN News channel showed passenger cabin and cockpit of ATR 42-500 registration AP-BHM which is one of the cleared aircraft.

PIA ATR 42-500 registration AP-BHM was toured by news media inside a hangar at Islamabad Airport on December 21.

AP-BHM in the background.

AP-BHM engine number one.

AP-BHM cabin door steps.

AP-BHM passenger cabin.

AP-BHM flight deck.

AP-BHP - engine number one or its propeller removed for maintenance/inspection?

Abbas

See you at:
yyzflyer
Registered Member

Post by yyzflyer »

Perhaps these politicians and experts should be made to sit in the test and resumption flights of these ATRs.
Then we see them give all these statements.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

PIA Engineering officials told news media that during ATR shakedown tests, health of aircraft's Pratt & Whitney Canada engines was checked. The engines also underwent borescope inspections.

ATR 42-500 registration AP-BHM and AP-BHP were seen in a hangar at Islamabad Airport on December 21 in PTV News report about three ATRs cleared to operate flights.

AP-BHM.

AP-BHM.

AP-BHP seen from AP-BHM cockpit.

AP-BHM cockpit.

AP-BHM cockpit.

AP-BHM.

AP-BHM cabin door.

AP-BHM cargo door.

AP-BHM passenger cabin.

Abbas