PIA Negotiating With Airbus to Buy Seven New Aircraft

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

PIA Negotiating With Airbus to Buy Seven New Aircraft

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to PTV News, in a briefing given to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif today it was stated that the airline is holding negotiations with Airbus to buy seven new aircraft.

Aircraft type not mentioned by the news channel.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Pakistan-1
Registered Member

Re: PIA Negotiating With Airbus to Buy Seven New Aircraft

Post by Pakistan-1 »

Most likely A319s or A320neo
Special Concept Livery to celebrate Pakistan's 70th year of Independence
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Maybe Airbus A330-200s and/or Airbus A321s.

Few months ago, currently acting CEO PIA Bernd Hildenbrand said "We are looking for additional long-haul capacity, for example with Airbus A330s. The A321 would be ideal for our needs".

http://atwonline.com/airlines/interview ... l-airlines

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to PTV News, PM Sharif was informed that PIA is planning to induct seven big and ten small aircraft in its fleet.

Abbas

See you at:
Pakistan-1
Registered Member

Post by Pakistan-1 »

So the 787 deal is off ?
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

Pakistan-1 wrote:So the 787 deal is off ?
I think with 7 big they mean the 787
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
Pakistan-1
Registered Member

Post by Pakistan-1 »

faisal-777 wrote:
Weren't they getting 8 787s ?
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

Pakistan-1 wrote:
faisal-777 wrote:
Weren't they getting 8 787s ?
I think its a mistake by the reporter to say 7 instead of 8. They probably would have told 8 787s. You know how proficient and careful our reporters are when it comes to aviation
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
Pakistan-1
Registered Member

Post by Pakistan-1 »

I think PIA is negotiating with airbus so that Boeing gives a better price on the 787s
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

How will PIA find money to pay $300m+ on these 7 aircrafts?

What PIA should do is approach ILFC, or other leasing corps. These leasing companies get new aircrafts every month or so and then lease it onwards. This way PIA can get aircraft sooner. Although it pays a "premium" (being leased instead of owning), it can get an aircraft sooner and in greater quantity, since monthly lease payments are easier to afford than paying a big sum when it is in debt.

Also a318 is dead. a319neo is also dying. Reason being is less costly Chinese, Russian, Brazilian and Canadian aircraft that are pumping better 80-150 seater aircrafts (single class).

The best aircraft for PIA right now is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_E-Jet_E2_family

88-132 single class in 3 series, or 80-120 in 2 class in 3 series. This aircraft (120 seater in 2 class) has 90 on order vs 58 a319neo. Also Canadian CS100 has many orders as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Regional_Jet also has many orders and under $47m list price (vs a319neo at 98m)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Superjet_100 in service and many orders. VERY cheap $27m for 87 2 class and 108 1 class.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comac_ARJ21 $30m 98 2 class. In service and 300+ orders from chinese and other airlines.

These aircraft are best for like Faislabad - Islamabad/KHI or other <1hour flight that are being served by a320 now

Only reason airbus or boeing should be chosen is for a330/a350 or b787/b777. or a320 or a321/b737-800+

But anways, PIA need a321 more than an a319. This way PIA can launch service to east europe, or other 4-6 hour flight. Business lie flat seat will be nice :) and new a321lr (neo) has 7400km range, so it can serve birmingham, manchester, kul, beijing, tokyo etc.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

PIA is also in dialogue with Airbus for new aircrafts and plans to induct seven brand new wide body and 10 narrow body aircrafts, the meeting was informed.
Source: http://nation.com.pk/national/08-Nov-20 ... 18-pm-told

Abbas

See you at:
raheel
Registered Member

Post by raheel »

Although this might never happen (due to obvious protectionism in the US), PIA can get the A320 family with the funding provided from the EX-IM bank of the USA. The aircraft assembled in Mobile, Alabama can be considered to be US exports. It is interesting but I doubt it will happen due to Boeing's influence.
shamxa
Registered Member

Post by shamxa »

My concern, and question, is are the delivery slots existent? I can't help but notice that all these models have a significant backlog of orders (from Airbus, Boeing to Embraer and Mitsubishi as well as Sukhoi. The only model I can think of with relatively low orders and perhaps a shorter wait time is the Tu-204 series :P .

Unless the plan is to buy pre-owned/"Not taken up" craft?
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

shamzaabbas wrote:My concern, and question, is are the delivery slots existent? I can't help but notice that all these models have a significant backlog of orders (from Airbus, Boeing to Embraer and Mitsubishi as well as Sukhoi. The only model I can think of with relatively low orders and perhaps a shorter wait time is the Tu-204 series :P .

Unless the plan is to buy pre-owned/"Not taken up" craft?

That's why I said it is stupid of PIA to buy planes. It is in debt of $3b and it wants to spend minimum $300m (10 narrow a320 at list price is $100m each). How will it gather that much money?

ILFC and other leasing corps get planes every now and then. Lease from them. Hell there were even kenyan b77w almost brand new but PIA didn't get because its not cheap and gov't didn't release funds. How can it get 10 narrow body? Gov't gets happy "OMG MORE PLANES YAY" but when presented with $300m bill, you think gov't will give a penny?

Why don't gov't pay off $3b PIA debt? PIA pay $150m every year to service its debt. It can get new planes every year instead.
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Hope A350-900.