Polish pilots in Orient Airways and PIA

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Franek Grabowski
Registered Member

Polish pilots in Orient Airways and PIA

Post by Franek Grabowski »

As-salamu alaykum
I am researching Polish pilots who served on RPAF/PAF, and flew with Pakistan civilian aviation. I think I have the military service pretty well covered, but I am nearly blank on civilian one. As far I have only a single log book of a Polish pilot from Orient Airways. I do know that Capt. Maximo-Maksymowicz had a lengthy career with PIA and Air Malta, and possibly Saudi Arabian Airlines. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate his family.
Can anybody help with any informations?
Thanks in advance
Franek Grabowski
Franek Grabowski
Registered Member

Re: Polish pilots in Orient Airways and PIA

Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

^ Nice work!

Is one of the PIA pilots in following photo Capt. Maximo? The photo shows arrival of PIA inaugural flight at Moscow Airport operated with airline's Boeing 720-040B (AP-AMH) on May 10, 1964. Someone told me that one of the pilots in this photo is probably Capt. Maximo.

BTW, last month there was a nice two full pages tribute to PAF's Air Commodore Wladyslaw Turowicz titled "Pakistan’s Polish Patriot" in English daily DAWN. It can be read on following link:

http://www.dawn.com/news/1287122

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Franek Grabowski
Registered Member

Dear Abbas
Thank you. I cannot say. I am not sure if I have a photo of Maximo from the period, and the photo is of poor quality, scanned from a newspaper. I have found the name of the photographer, and I will ask my pals, if they can locate a better copy.
Here is Maximo during the war, for a comparison.
I have found an information, that in the early 1970s Maximo was on a contract with Saudi Arabian Airways, but I could not verify it. Then later he went to Air Malta, of course.
Another Polish pilot, who spend awhile in PIA was Stefan "Steve" Tronczyński. He left the RPAF in 1953, and then continued his flying with PIA until 1959, when he left for the UK, only to be killed the next year.
I think all the remaining Polish pilots left Orient Airways in the first half of 1950s.
I have seen the Dawn article, and seeing documents mentioned, I would say it does require a long commentary.
Best wishes
Franek
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

^ Thank you Franek for the info.

Abbas

See you at:
Franek Grabowski
Registered Member

I am glad it was of interest. Unfortunately I was unable to obtain personal records from the PIA. They would answer a lot of questions. My photo coverage of Orient Airways/PIA is also very poor.
Here is an English version of the article.
http://nation.com.pk/E-Paper/Lahore/201 ... mY.twitter
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Very informative. Thank you Franek for sharing link.

Abbas

See you at:
Franek Grabowski
Registered Member

I will continue sending informations, of course. There is a lot to be written about the early period, I guess.
zerokool
Registered Member

Post by zerokool »

Too good thanks for sharing the history Abbas Bhai and Franek, Loved reading those facts of both country. =D>