PIA losing share in Pakistani Market?

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Sherry3002
Registered Member

PIA losing share in Pakistani Market?

Post by Sherry3002 »

October 2014: Domestic and international travellers in Pakistan rose 8% to 17.9 million in fiscal year 2013-14 compared to previous year, recording the fastest growth in passenger traffic in the last three years, according to data provided by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
Meanwhile, international traffic increased 11% to 10.87 million, while the number of domestic passengers clocked in at 7 million in 2013-14, up 3.5% over the previous year.The struggling Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) continued to lose on the domestic front with its share in the passenger market dropping from 71.25% in 2012-13 to 55% in 2013-14 as competitors wooed away its customers. It carried 3.89 million passengers. Shaheen Air International (SAI) emerged as the major gainer after it recorded a market share of 24.19%, a drastic improvement from the 9.9% it held in the previous year. Around 1.69 million passengers flew on SAI, which has increased its fleet to 19 aircraft.
However, what was once an emerging airline, Airblue seems to be in hot waters. It took a battering in the domestic market that saw its share drop from 18.84% to 12%. With just four Airbus A-320s, the airline has limited its focus on certain routes.

PIA’s dominant position in the international passenger traffic market shrank further. It now has a market share of 28.16%, compared to 34% and 39% in 2012-13 and 2011-12, respectively. The airline flew 3 million international passengers in 2013-14. Emirates followed second with a market share of 17.37%. The Dubai-based airline’s share has gradually increased from 12.84% in 2011-12 and 14.83% in 2012-13. With 12.66% share, Shaheen Air continued to hold the third position.
Saudi Airlines, Airblue, Etihad, Qatar and Thai had a market share of 9.86%, 6.3%, 4.9%, 4.56% and 3.4% respectively.

While Pakistani airlines still cater to 47.12% of the international traffic, their share has decreased from 51.97% in 2012-13 and 53.3% in 2011-12.

Source: http://tribune.com.pk/story/777912/caa- ... ree-years/

But this was 2014, any news on how PIA is doing? I guess they are still losing share to Emirates on the international side, and Private airlines on the domestic side. The UK routes are booming I believe, I saw it myself. A full plane! But then again, EK's planes are equally full out of Pakistan. The Paris route is NOT PIA's strong point. I believe only half the plane was full.

One more question, if PIA doesn't market their Y+ as premium economy, then I guess it is a fight to get the Economy Plus+ seats since they are sold as Economy, right?
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D

Sherry3002
Registered Member

Re: PIA losing share in Pakistani Market?

Post by Sherry3002 »

Over the past 12 months, Turkish Airlines has grown seat capacity out of Pakistan by 38%, beating the MEB3 carriers of Emirates (+13%), Qatar Airways (+28%) and Etihad Airways (+18%). What should also be noted is that Emirates’ sister airline, flydubai, has now overtaken Etihad Airways in relation to the monthly seat capacity on offer by both airlines in S15, helped by the carrier reporting a growth in capacity of 66%, and climbing from 12th spot in 2014 to eighth in 2015 in relation to Pakistan’s top 12 airlines. This has been helped in part by the airline recently launching services from Dubai to Faisalabad. Nonetheless the number one out of Pakistan remains the country’s national carrier, Pakistan International Airlines. The airline has reported a growth in capacity when compared to the same time period of last year of 25%. None of the airlines in the top 12 are reporting seat capacity reductions in S15. However, Air Indus is showing a consistent pattern with 0% growth and offering the same amount of seats as S14, but growth from Airblue means that the airline drops to fifth in S15 from fourth in last year.

Source: www.anna.aero

Interesting, don't you think?
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D

Umair94
Registered Member

Post by Umair94 »

it does not depent fully on having a full plane. If I am correct sometimes planes are empty yet the flights are being operated since cargo creates revenue.
All The Way, It's PIA
rayyanullah
Registered Member

Post by rayyanullah »

During the mango season Emirates reduces the number of seats for sale.