PIA Invites Bids to Acquire Up To Three Wide-Body Aircraft on Dry Lease

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Umair94
Registered Member

Re: PIA Invites Bids to Acquire Up To Three Wide-Body Aircraft on Dry Lease

Post by Umair94 »

dreamliner99 wrote:
Umair94 wrote:Does anyone have any numbers related to passenger PIA carries and what class they travel?

I think it would be better for PIA to either go with one strategy which in this case would be just one single class.
I wouldn't recommend just one class, especially for international operations.
I think you are partly right. But in my opinion PIA hasn't a proper strategy depending on class compared to other airlines for instance EK or KLM. I flew AMS-FRA-LHE on AP-BDZ in 2013, which had an economy and economy+ layout. I think instead of offering a full business class PIA should rebuild the concept of economy+ more and then focus on their service/prices. I think PIA might be able to get good customers.

But still that's just an opinion and PIA should go with the numbers of seats sold and other facts.
All The Way, It's PIA
dreamliner99
Registered Member

Post by dreamliner99 »

Umair94 wrote:
dreamliner99 wrote:
Umair94 wrote:Does anyone have any numbers related to passenger PIA carries and what class they travel?

I think it would be better for PIA to either go with one strategy which in this case would be just one single class.
I wouldn't recommend just one class, especially for international operations.
I think you are partly right. But in my opinion PIA hasn't a proper strategy depending on class compared to other airlines for instance EK or KLM. I flew AMS-FRA-LHE on AP-BDZ in 2013, which had an economy and economy+ layout. I think instead of offering a full business class PIA should rebuild the concept of economy+ more and then focus on their service/prices. I think PIA might be able to get good customers.

But still that's just an opinion and PIA should go with the numbers of seats sold and other facts.
It varies when you look at different destinations. There is no doubt your right, hopefully they find a good balance. Flights to the UK are generally full, I have flown both classes and to the UK they are always near full capacity. However, the economy + was a popular option and business class is always attractive considering the low price. With a revamped business and economy class product and improved service it become a very popular option for travellers.
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

In J class, I've found the LHR, BHX, YYZ, JFK and MAN routes to be quite full, especially the UK routes. My grandfather who was a GM in PIA said the CPH and DXB routes were full, but that was in the early/mid '000's

Wouldn't agree with the one-class strategy because there are pax who want to fly premium, yet don't want to splurge an extra Rs 100,000 - 200,000. These pax then choose PIA J. Also, for people who don't want to have the hassle of stopping over in the middle east, PIA is convenient. My dad, who is an EK J FF now prefers going on PIA due to convenience of connection, so many other pax who fly J on PK will be left stranded and forced to fly via DXB or AUH.
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D

CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Then why is JFK just twice a week, even a third frequency added failed.
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

CoyBoy wrote:Then why is JFK just twice a week, even a third frequency added failed.
Personally I think the Manchester stopover is a big let down. People only fly PIA because of direct flights. If PIA also connects, what is the point of flying an older airline with inferior service, worn out seats and old planes? Seriously, patriotism can't hide our airline's faults. I need to go to JFK, and PIA seemed a great option until I realized I would have to go to Lahore in an ATR, stay a night there, fly to Manchester, have a long stopover there and then fly to JFK,from where I take an AA flight to Miami. To return It would be MIA-JFK-LHE-ISB
With one of the ME3, I fly to their hub and straight to JFK, or better yet, Miami, my final destination. The return is equally quick. And to think PIA believes they can attract customers on a 2 stop route by just offering a flight for 100000 less is crazy. Please, PIA management, try to get direct flights to JFK, or at least start a KHI and ISB to JFK flight even with a stop in MAN. I hope with the KQ and Vietnamese planes added they consider more flights to the US.
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D

Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

CoyBoy wrote:Then why is JFK just twice a week, even a third frequency added failed.
Also, it is twice a week because of the stopover. Without a stopover it could amount to even 4 times a week. There are many expats living in the USUS, and PIA offers cheaper flights. The people who are highly desperate to save money still fly PIA, forcefully but they do. These people are why JFK Is even on 5th route map. Money saving people still fly PIA despite stops, but they can't overdo a route. There wouldn't be enough people who are willing to fly PIA because of prices.

EK622
Registered Member

Post by EK622 »

Manchester stop over is a compulsive break for PIA imposed by US authorities. Thats because of our airports are always in the hot news regarding some one breaks the fence and enter on runway or some one travelled on fake credentials even some time without visa. They even re-screen the luggage too at manchester.

I believe this is the right time for PIA to plan new US and europeon routes as well as think about Australia with a stopover either in singapore, malaysia or bangkok after all we need to send new planes somewhere...
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

They really really need to consider a stop over destination that has US pre clearance facilites, how hard can it be?
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

They were to resume tech stop at Shannon few years back.
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

EK622 wrote:Manchester stop over is a compulsive break for PIA imposed by US authorities. Thats because of our airports are always in the hot news regarding some one breaks the fence and enter on runway or some one travelled on fake credentials even some time without visa. They even re-screen the luggage too at manchester.

I believe this is the right time for PIA to plan new US and europeon routes as well as think about Australia with a stopover either in singapore, malaysia or bangkok after all we need to send new planes somewhere...
We can start by not flying the 777 on the ISB-KHI / LHE-KHI routes. [-X [-X #-o #-o

CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

There are ministers who only want to fly on widebody on these routes, they delay their travel plans when the aircraft is not that.
EK622
Registered Member

Post by EK622 »

CoyBoy wrote:There are ministers who only want to fly on widebody on these routes, they delay their travel plans when the aircraft is not that.
Its not like that infect the ministers are the main reason of deploying business class on A320s.
To and From Karachi is a integral part of PIA fleet as the plane has to return to its base for regular checks, intense cleaning and other maintainance issues if occur any. some time its operational requirement as well due to loads on khi -isb or lhe -khi sector to deploy big birds. On tuesdays usually 2 of the planes starts travel from kHI to lhe and onward yyz or man-jfk , london or milan.

The real topic stands at new birds. Any updates about new birds?
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

EK622 wrote:
CoyBoy wrote:There are ministers who only want to fly on widebody on these routes, they delay their travel plans when the aircraft is not that.
Its not like that infect the ministers are the main reason of deploying business class on A320s.
To and From Karachi is a integral part of PIA fleet as the plane has to return to its base for regular checks, intense cleaning and other maintainance issues if occur any. some time its operational requirement as well due to loads on khi -isb or lhe -khi sector to deploy big birds. On tuesdays usually 2 of the planes starts travel from kHI to lhe and onward yyz or man-jfk , london or milan.

They have to deploy Club on at least some of the A320's to compete on the DXB/AUH/DOH/KHI routes. I doubt the load is ever that high that they can only fly the 77W's or 772's on that route. We have A320's, A310's, AT72's. In regard to the intense cleaning, I believe such checks are carried out very seldom, ie- not daily. Once a week on the 777 is fine. But every day?

Some will state the 777's are needed for international routes from KHI. One or Two 777's should then be assigned to operating flights to and from Karachi, ie - LHR 3x, YYZ 1x, etc.

Connecting flights I understand. With the addition of new birds, the management needs to sit down and restructure the schedule for the Boeing 777.
I hope we don't see the 772's operating 3x daily flight to KHI :|

I believe 2 772's from Vietnam airlines and 3 77W's from Kenya Airways are coming.

EK622
Registered Member

Post by EK622 »

Sherry3002 wrote:
EK622 wrote:

They have to deploy Club on at least some of the A320's to compete on the DXB/AUH/DOH/KHI routes. I doubt the load is ever that high that they can only fly the 77W's or 772's on that route. We have A320's, A310's, AT72's. In regard to the intense cleaning, I believe such checks are carried out very seldom, ie- not daily. Once a week on the 777 is fine. But every day?

Some will state the 777's are needed for international routes from KHI. One or Two 777's should then be assigned to operating flights to and from Karachi, ie - LHR 3x, YYZ 1x, etc.

Connecting flights I understand. With the addition of new birds, the management needs to sit down and restructure the schedule for the Boeing 777.
I hope we don't see the 772's operating 3x daily flight to KHI :|

I believe 2 772's from Vietnam airlines and 3 77W's from Kenya Airways are coming.

I think all of PIA A320s are fitted with 8 J class seats.

Due to passenger’s irresponsible behavior and lack of crew training we have this reputation of dirty interiors which includes torn seats, non-functional IFEs, Trash around the seats etc. Our planes needs special cleaning all the time just because people who travelled long haul tends to complains about these things. Maintenance is compulsory for all of our planes because all the planes are more than 5 years old.

There was a time when my father saw 5 PIA planes at Manchester Intl and the routes were IAH, JFK, YYZ, LHE and ISB. This means there is a lot of potential on these routes with stopovers as well if PIA can start working on them.

As 5 new planes are coming up as per the news, routes utilization needs to be checked again and PIA must restarts or open new routes like IAH, IAD, LAX , ORD, FRA with BCN , SYD-MEL with Singapore or KUL.
Your comments will be appreciated .
Last edited by EK622 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
EK622
Registered Member

Post by EK622 »

Sorry for this over writing issue due to internet speed. I replied this msg atleast 4 times but internet stopped everytime.

I think all of PIA A320s are fitted with 8 J class seats.

Due to passenger’s irresponsible behavior and lack of crew training we have this reputation of dirty interiors which includes torn seats, non-functional IFEs, Trash around the seats etc. Our planes needs special cleaning all the time just because people who travelled long haul tends to complains about these things. Maintenance is compulsory for all of our planes because all the planes are more than 5 years old.

There was a time when my father saw 5 PIA planes at Manchester Intl and the routes were IAH, JFK, YYZ, LHE and ISB. This means there is a lot of potential on these routes with stopovers as well if PIA can start working on them.

As 5 new planes are coming up as per the news, routes utilization needs to be checked again and PIA must restarts or open new routes like IAH, IAD, LAX , ORD, FRA with BCN , SYD-MEL with Singapore or KUL.
Your comments will be appreciated :)