Air Indus I6 103 (Worst flight ever)

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Air Indus I6 103 (Worst flight ever)

Post by Sherry3002 »

Guys, I am gonna be probably the sole avid TR writer. IA, I will be taking photos on my next trips, I never expected to write TR's so didn't take many. I.A in the winter we are going to Male, I will write the EK J class TR on that. But till then, I thought since there are not many TR's on I6, I might write about my horrible experience. I am sorry for no photos, I hope the description is good enough to make you imagine what it was like. Here goes:

Everyone who knows me knows I fly often. I have had about 70 international flights in the last 3 years and 40 domestic. But My God nothing was ever as bad as I6. From the plane to the service [-X :shock: Recently, after I6 launched, there was a lot of hype about a new, better airline to turn the tables against PIA. I had to go to ISB from KHI, and chose Air Indus. Now, on the day of the departure I got a phone call saying the flight was canceled, and that I had to fly tommorow. I was naturally enraged, but there was nothing that could be done. The next day I went to the KHI, checked in, got my boarding pass and went to just look around, as I don't come often to KHI. Boarding was soon announced on the very feeble speakers and we headed towards the plane. As I entered the plane, I was told "Just keep going straight, you'll find your seat" I did find my seat, sat down and immediately noticed how shabby the interior looked. Granted this is a leased, very old plane, but it was pathetic. Seat covers were coming off, my tray table wouldn't close, the windows were dirty and scratched, etc. There was a crack on my window, so I flagged down the stewardess, who replied with a cold "Hmph. I'll examine it later" I then began to have second thoughts about booking I6.

The doors closed 1 hour late and we taxied back while the welcome announcement was made, informing us of a 2 hour 10 minute flight time. As soon as the engines started up, there was a terrible rattling noise, as if the engine would explode any second. We came to the runway, and as the engines spooled up, the rattling noise got so bad I thought 'forget about the plane, my ears are gonna burst'. Then all of a sudden we felt a strong jerk and quickly the engines were reversed. We had aborted take off, apparently because of some technical failure. We were taken back to the gate, and disembarked, while the plane was fixed again. We boarded again after 50 minutes, taxied out again and then started up, with the same old raging noise. We spooled up and began our takeoff roll. We pulled up after a very short takeoff roll, and moments later we leveled off. All throughout the takeoff the plane was shaking uncontrollably. The noise in the engine calmed down a bit, but the plane shuddered the entire journey. As the aged cabin crew member made her way down the aisle, throwing these sandwich type things at everyone, which looked like someone had swallowed them and spat them back. I opted against eating on this flight, with the thought I may get Typhoid or something similar. They gave out water or some juice, I chose nothing again.

Then all of a sudden the plane started shaking harder and more frequently, until it felt something like sitting in a building during an M10 earthquake. A PA was made informing us not to worry, everything was fine, and that there would be a heavy storm in ISB. That was the last straw. A storm when I am sitting in a God knows how old plane that looks like it has definitely seen better days. I felt like melting into the ground. Anyway, I just prayed for a safe flight and closed my eyes, in the hope of getting some sleep. Minutes later the aircraft dropped a good 3-4 thousand feet, before recovering and going into a steep ascent position. I knew I was gonna die on that flight. The plane once again leveled off and I just closed my eyes, constantly praying that I make it through Air Indus flight I6 103 on 6/3/15. Remarkably, the flight recovered and we made it just past Lahore before the plane went into some air pocket that made the plane lose some 5000 feet. The engines immediately spooled up and we went into a steep, almost vertical ascent. I know my fair share of Aviation, and spooling up and then ascending upwards does not mean you are going so safely. We once again leveled off and after what seemed like centuries we began our descent into ISB in heavy rain and thunder.

The plane was shaking uncontrollably once again and this time it was too close to the ground to make a pull-up. I noticed how we were descending very rapidly and how we were so close to land, almost 5k ft away. The landing gear dropped down, we flared up (or so I thought) and went up, and up. We were doing a go around, which meant another delay, and more bad news in that rattlebox. After a steep go around and another 10 minutes inside that torture chamber, we touched down in possibly the worst way possible. Captain Saab just slammed the aircraft on the ground, engaged the reverse thrusters, and we slowed down just at the end of the runway.

Words can not describe the feeling of happiness + joy + thankfulness that I felt when we touched down, did the backtrack of the runway and parked beside PIA's AP-BGJ to Multan or somewhere. I just fled the plane, even though it was pouring and my best suit was destroyed. As we left, the crew said no "Thankyou" or even "Allah Hafiz". Just a cold, icy stare, though I couldn't care less, and practically kissed the ground when I got off. We boarded the cramped bus, went to the baggage area/immigration and collected my thankfully more or less intact bags. Went out, saw my driver and drove straight back home.

Final word on Air Indus: I mean no offense to the I6 staff or crew. I am sure they are trying their hardest, but for me, I6 is out. I have flown many large carriers (eg. EK,BA,CX) and many domestic (4U,PA,PK,SAI) but I am sorry, Air Indus was probably the worst flight ever. A flight in which a OW Gold member and FF feels scared is not a good flight. I am sure all HoP folks will agree. If anyone wants to save money, go ahead, experience it yourself, but for me, I'd rather pay a few extra thousand to know that I am more likely to actually arrive safely in PIA or SAI. I even feel safer in PIA's oldest A310/747, or Shaheens oldest 737. When it's license was suspended, I did feel a bit bad for I6, but I also felt glad, that 1000's if not 100k's of lives have been saved. That's my report on I6, and now you know why I couldn't take any photos.

If you've flown I6 how was your experience? Suggestions/Criticism/Comments always open :)

Thanks for reading :)
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D

hassan khan
Registered Member

Re: Air Indus I6 103 (Worst flight ever)

Post by hassan khan »

Thank you so much Sherry for writing on my insistence and feel sorry at the state the airline is in. I was eagerly waiting to read this TR specifically.
But actually I'm not shocked at the sub-standard service you received on the flight. For an airline that starts operations with 737-300's and claimed to have the most modern 737 in Pakistan, speaks a lot about them.
On the other hand if one looks at neighbouring india, even there domestic airlines have 737-800's. Just sad to see the poor standards of our airlines.
Nonetheless, it's important air indus got suspended, after knowing what you went through.
faiq
Registered Member

Post by faiq »

These reports are not to be considered final. I have come across few people openly claiming that Air Indus has been shut down. Pilots have been given later of thanks according to some. Half partner and brother of Air Indus owner has taken out its capital and planning to launch Bhoja Air again. Where as Air Indus left over lone owner has decided to quit from airline business and run his Karakorum motors.
CrAcK PiLoT
Rana
Registered Member

Post by Rana »

faiq wrote: Half partner and brother of Air Indus owner has taken out its capital and planning to launch Bhoja Air again. Where as Air Indus left over lone owner has decided to quit from airline business and run his Karakorum motors.
Why AEROASIA is not starting operation once again? They had good reputation than Bhoja,Hajwari,Indus ETC.
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

Rana wrote:
faiq wrote: Half partner and brother of Air Indus owner has taken out its capital and planning to launch Bhoja Air again. Where as Air Indus left over lone owner has decided to quit from airline business and run his Karakorum motors.
Why AEROASIA is not starting operation once again? They had good reputation than Bhoja,Hajwari,Indus ETC.
Financial Issues?
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D