LHR- KHI 29/07/15 with PIA

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

LHR- KHI 29/07/15 with PIA

Post by Zulfiqar »

I flew to Karachi last Wednesday (29/07/05) on PK788 777-300ER AP-BHV. A short report with a few photos follow.

Check-IN was quick although staff un-accommadating on seat change from 45C to 26A (Row 26 has a window missing). Supervisor (with Dnata badge) asked the check-in staff on adjacent desk to allow extra seats for his friends traveling with family.

Gate announced at 16:30. I went through at 16:50. Passengers are checked by a sniffer dog. Cabin and cockpit crew went through to the aircraft 777-300 AP-BHV at around 17:05. From the pre-departure lounge there was no view of the aircraft and so no possibility of getting a photo.

Boarding announced at 17:25. My section 41-85 was announced at 17:40., 10 min before departure, Passengers were welcomed with Salaams and directed to their seats. The cabin did not smell too pleasant! The inbound was delayed but they could have sprayed some air freshner! Instrumental music was playing which was a nice touch.
I was very disappointed that my view was curtailed on 26C. However the lady on 26A said she is moving to sit with her sister so I landed (no pun on intended) on 26A. The flight deck announced ground staff to vacate at around18:00. This took another 5-10 minutes.

Finnair A321 withj Sharklets
Image[/url]

"Prepare for departure / cross check" announced at 18:05 followed by safety video and prayer. These were very loud and clear! A few minutes later as I had suspected Captain Elias Najmi announced that we had missed our slot (as the airport was very busy) and we would be delayed by 30 minutes. Water was served. Cabin was getting darker however cabin/ seat lights could not be switched on. Individual seat / reading lights were not functional throughout the journey (i did not see anyone use it in our cabin at least).

Push back finally at 19:00.
A Virgin 787-800

View through my hazy windows just as we startted to move onto the active runway 27R.
I noticed as we took off that there was a PIA 772 parked on another stand, priobably the 786 flight for Islamabad.

IEF on our row 45 did not work throughout the flight. My neighbour, others asked the stewardess as well as the pruser ( Mr Nasir (Mehboob)). They took the seat numbers but it was not re-booted. Even the flight tracker that was working ceased to work . A child in my row wanted to return his ear phones (handed 45 minutes into the flight) as they were of no use. The purser did not accept them.

Only mood lighting was working throughout (after they decided to switch it on 30 minutes after take off), and it seemed no one bothered to check if the main cabin lights were working or inform us what the problem was. People were talking about load shedding!

Dinner served 2 hours into the flight by which time I was starving. Similar food was served as my last flight a few months back.
Chiken boti masala; fried rice; sabzi bhujia; sala, bread roll; firni (rice pudding); tea served with powdered milk ,/ creamer not milk.
Image[/URL]
The rice was dry and needed raita/yoghurt on the side.

Pillow requested numerous times was not brought , in the end I went up and asked but they had run out.
An interesting read while waiting for our departure. This was in the newspaper Independent.

About 1 hour and 45 minutes before landing we were served breakfast/snack.

Our decent into a cloudy Karachi

We landed at 6.50 am about 1 hour and 15 minutes behind. Flight time 7 hours 15 minutes.

PIA A320 being towed for a rest.

PIA A320 AP BLT bacon lettuce tomato?
Image[/URL]

Qatar Airways A320 in One World livery - waiting for its Mango freight.

On this flight a number were pasengers were getting a connecting flight to the north of the country, including Lahore, Islamabad and Faisalabad. The passenger next to me was travelling to Lahore. He had missed his 7 am connection. he had been informed in London that the 8 am Lahore flight had been cancelled for some reason. The next flight was at 15:00 (3 pm). I was surprised at the fact the PIA's schedule to a major domestic destination is so poor. The 7 am flight was via Sukkur. So there was no direct flight to Lahore with PIA till 3 pm that day! With the new A320 they should increase the frequencies between the domestic destinations and so imprive connectivity for transferring pasengers.
I asked for a feedback form from the cabin crew to wrte to PIA about my complain about IFE and the lighting.
Image[/URL]

The Immigration queue was slow and as people had excessive luggage ( my ticket allowed 50 Kg- to be honest i did not know how i would fill my bag - I had 20 kg) the conveyer belt at Karachi could not take the load. It stoped a few times so some of the luggage could be taken off the belt.
I remember people complained about the queues for check in at Heathrow. But this was primarily becuase they had so much luggage to check in that it was taking a long time.

My luggage took about 45 miutes (after landing) to arive and I made my way swiftly out of the airport.
Last edited by Zulfiqar on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: LHR- KHI 29/07/15 with PIA

Post by Abbas Ali »

Was PIA inflight magazine 'Humsafar' available to passengers on this flight?

Interesting trip report - thank you Zulfiqar for sharing.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Hamad
Registered Member

Post by Hamad »

Catering onboard PIA must improve - its everytime the same type of food and it doesn't look delicious in my view.
Hope that this will change in the future
Best Regards / Wa´alaikumusalam
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

Abbas Ali wrote:Was PIA inflight magazine 'Humsafar' available to passengers on this flight?

Interesting trip report - thank you Zulfiqar for sharing.

Abbas
Thaks Abbas.
I looked for Humsafar in my row and in some other seat pockets but failed to see one i9n the Economy section.
Hamad wrote:Catering onboard PIA must improve - its everytime the same type of food and it doesn't look delicious in my view.
Hope that this will change in the future
The thing is that their presentation is so awful , all the food stufed into one aluminium tray, it is quite off-putting. My local take-away serves in a more civilised way serving separate foods in separate boxes. I understand the need for economy and try to carry less load on a plane. However, if they want to up their game PIA should think of trying out compartmentalised trays that may be re-sued. I guess they are saving up on the washing up after.

They food tasted better (yes, i was startving!) than what I have at times attempted to eat on Emirates on DXB-KHI-DXB (both C and Y class).
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

A friend of mine who also traveled on a PIA flight from London to Karachi told me that 'Humsafar' was not in his seat pocket.

Abbas

See you at:
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

Im really suprised that PK have a really high baggage allowance. Would this be due to poor cargo loads? And so it would be better to maximise revenue by increasing the baggage allowance?
Hamad
Registered Member

Post by Hamad »

Zulfiqar wrote: They food tasted better (yes, i was startving!) than what I have at times attempted to eat on Emirates on DXB-KHI-DXB (both C and Y class).
Good 2 hear that it tastes better then it looks like... I also dont like the food served from DXB, AUH, DOH etc to and from PK. Thats why I always book on that Flight Sector a Special Meal.
Anyhow thanks for sharing the pics and your Experiences :)
Best Regards / Wa´alaikumusalam
ammad
Registered Member

Post by ammad »

I like your new description of AP-BLT :D
Fortune favours brave.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to Express News channel, shortage of blankets and pillows aboard PIA Boeing 777 long haul flights is being reported in log books by cabin crew.

There also are complaints about IFE not functioning on airline's B777 long haul flights.

Abbas

See you at:
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

Abbas Ali wrote:According to Express News channel, shortage of blankets and pillows aboard PIA Boeing 777 long haul flights is being reported in log books by cabin crew.

There also are complaints about IFE not functioning on airline's B777 long haul flights.

Abbas
I am glad that these issue has been noticed. It is imperative that PIA should gain the confidene of its pasengers and try to retain those that travel with it.Otherwise there is ample and good competition to be found in EK, EY, TK Oman etc.
baberblues wrote:Im really suprised that PK have a really high baggage allowance. Would this be due to poor cargo loads? And so it would be better to maximise revenue by increasing the baggage allowance?
Baggage allowance is probably one of the biggest attractions, apart from hopefully a direct flight from London to a city near you. I usually travel light, and did not take full advantage of the 50 Kg allowance. Others found it still too little!
ammad
Registered Member

Post by ammad »

Zulfiqar wrote: and did not take full advantage of the 50 Kg allowance. Others found it still too little!
50KG allowance is too much, how many pieces of baggage are allowed? Are you sure it is 50KG not 50Lb?
Fortune favours brave.
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

ammad wrote:50KG allowance is too much, how many pieces of baggage are allowed? Are you sure it is 50KG not 50Lb?
Ammad, i was surprised as well. When I booked my ticket online, the booking confirmation ticket read 50K. However there is no obvious mention of the weight limit on my e-ticket. I was not going to travel with so much anyway.

My neighbouring pasenger, who was travelling to Lahore and had booked his passage through a travel agent, said he was allowed 40kg.

I am sure for 50 Kg you must tbe able to take 2 pieces. One will be too heavy and against health and safety regulations written for the porters.
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

Reply from PIA regarding my comments. I am pleased that my comments have reached the department concerned, and hope the concerns highlighted are followed through. (The reply has been edited to conceal the tracking number).

CC No. 00520XXX
CR No.XXXX
August 28, 2015

Dear Sir,

Thank you for providing feedback about flight PK-788 dated 29 July, 2015, through comment card.

Every passenger deserves personalized and courteous service and we are extremely sorry that we did not provide it to you on this particular occasion. Your complaints have been forwarded to the concerned departments for corrective action to overcome the identified shortcomings.

Hope you will continue to share your invaluable views and we at our end will make concerted efforts to fulfill your expectations.

We look forward to your continued patronage.

Sincerely,

Muhammad Yousuf
Senior Officer
Customer Relations