Incidents that Led to Change of PIA Boeing 737 Registration from AP-BCE to AP-BFT

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Incidents that Led to Change of PIA Boeing 737 Registration from AP-BCE to AP-BFT

Post by Abbas Ali »

Somewhere I read that PIA Boeing 737-340 registration AP-BCE was changed to AP-BFT after the aircraft was involved in a series of non-fatal incidents/accidents. Some superstitious PIA official(s) considered registration AP-BCE unlucky for the aircraft and its registration was changed to AP-BFT.

I'm trying to find incidents involving AP-BCE before its registration was changed to AP-BFT.

I know following two incidents:

* On October 21, 1997, AP-BCE performing flight PK-343 from Faisalabad landed at Karachi Airport at night in heavy rain. The aircraft was unable to stop on runway and entered unpaved surface causing damage to left side engine and left side main landing gear. It was removed from incident site next day. Inoperative/deactivated engine number one thrust reverser was believed to be the main reason of the incident.

* On January 18, 1999, as flight PK-381 from Islamabad during landing at Lahore Airport left side wing and engine of AP-BCE struck runway, the aircraft momentarily left runway until pilots regained steering control and rolled back onto the runway. The damaged aircraft under its own power was able to taxi to parking bay.

I guess AP-BCE was re-registered as AP-BFT in April 1999. Were there any more incidents involving AP-BCE between January 1999 and April 1999 or before that time period?

AP-BCE photographed in February 1999.
Click here to see large photo.

AP-BFT photographed in January 2000.
Click here to see large photo.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Moin
Registered Member

Re: Incidents that Led to Change of PIA Boeing 737 Registration from AP-BCE to AP-BFT

Post by Moin »

Wasn't this where they also cut a black sheep when changing the reg?
Moin Abbasi
rayyanullah
Registered Member

Re: Incidents that Led to Change of PIA Boeing 737 Registration from AP-BCE to AP-BFT

Post by rayyanullah »

Yes sacrifical of a black ram in a graveyard on a moon light night is the correct protocol
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Moin wrote:Wasn't this where they also cut a black sheep when changing the reg?
I also heard that sacrificed animal's blood was smeared on landing gear tyre(s) of the Boeing 737 before its flight under new registration AP-BFT.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
AC787
Registered Member

Post by AC787 »

Once line 1 hangar door is also collided to its ruder while its registration was AP BCE.
THANKS
Pakistan-1
Registered Member

Post by Pakistan-1 »

All of these accidents sound like human error and not super natural force
Special Concept Livery to celebrate Pakistan's 70th year of Independence