A320 sharklet retrofit for pk airlines

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
GEnx
Registered Member

A320 sharklet retrofit for pk airlines

Post by GEnx »

Airbus has been offering sharklets as an option on new A320s since 2012-13. From this year, sharklets will be available as a retrofit on older A319s and A320s (i guess only beyond msn 1200 frames are eligible for this upgrade). This include modifications in the wing and addition of sharklets which takes 13 days for A320s/319s built before 2012 and just 2 days for those built since 2012.
The advantages of sharklets include reduction in fuel burn of upto 4% alongwith increase in range upto 100nm, with improved performance characteristics. Also, it increases reliability of many aircraft's systems including the engines.

Many airlines around the globe are expected to buy these kits to upgrade their fleets. Just wondering is their any chance of pk A320 operators going to upgrade their fleets of 320s?
Airblue has sharklets on 2 of its A320s. These are the only A320s in pk with sharklets.
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Re: A320 sharklet retrofit for pk airlines

Post by TAILWIND »

GEnx wrote: Also, it increases reliability of many aircraft's systems including the engines.
How?
bigfish
Registered Member

Post by bigfish »

it's always just that PK does not have the funds for any of these luxuries
Vaqar Khan
Registered Member

Post by Vaqar Khan »

Just wanted to know. Can an airline make modifications to a dry leased aircraft such as sharklet retrofit? After all they don't own the aircraft and should require the permission of the lessor for any structural modifications.
GEnx
Registered Member

Post by GEnx »

TAILWIND wrote:
GEnx wrote: Also, it increases reliability of many aircraft's systems including the engines.
How?
As winglets reduce drag, that means engines would be running at slightly lower power especially during cilmb and cruise. In the long run, this is beneficial to the engines.
boeing787
Registered Member

Post by boeing787 »

Vaqar Khan wrote:Just wanted to know. Can an airline make modifications to a dry leased aircraft such as sharklet retrofit? After all they don't own the aircraft and should require the permission of the lessor for any structural modifications.
You're right, they cannot. Think of it as leasing a car. You pay insurance, gas etc, but when you give the car back, it has to be in shape when you got it, i.e. no modifications.

PIA can put on sharklets without permission but may have to remove it when giving back aircraft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but year or two back I saw PIA dry leased airplane that was being salvaged for parts. I think the lessor wouldn't care as long as it got the airplane back in proper condition. Though I can see the lessor allowing PIA to put them on under an agreement, because PIA will save money and the lessor's plane increases its value.

But the thing is, can PIA afford to pay for such modification or afford to be without the plane for x period of time? 12 * 11 A320s is total 132 days of lost revenue PLUS costs it will pay to have them. So PIA will have to decide if the up to 4% of fuel savings/100nm additional distance per aircraft for 4-5 years of lease (they won't do it this year I'm sure, lack of funds) out benefits 12 days of lost revenue and costs to implement such modifications?
Student of Economics. My brother works for Air Canada.
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

Quoting from www.theflyengineer.com
"As per Airbus, over existing A320, Sharklets deliver an additional fuel saving of 3.5 per cent over sectors greater than 3000NM and one per cent for sectors of around 500NM. The greatest savings will be on long routes."
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

Vaqar Khan wrote: After all they don't own the aircraft and should require the permission of the lessor for any structural modifications.
PIA would as you suggest require the permission of the lessor to modify the A320 with winglets.

It is likely the lessor would agree to the modification as it would improve the market value of the aircraft.
boeing787 wrote:PIA can put on sharklets without permission but may have to remove it when giving back aircraft.
No they can not.

Small modifications down to the installation of different galley equipment, new seat covers, carpets or whatever would require the lessor to agree before any mods take place.

The better the reputation of the airline, the more leeway the lessors generally grant.
TAILWIND wrote:Quoting from http://www.theflyengineer.com
"As per Airbus, over existing A320, Sharklets deliver an additional fuel saving of 3.5 per cent over sectors greater than 3000NM and one per cent for sectors of around 500NM. The greatest savings will be on long routes."
That source is incorrect.

Airbus initially forecast a fuel burn reduction of upto 3.6% on longer sectors.

After flight testing, the actual fuel burn reduction was up to 4% on long sectors.

On 1 March 2013, Lufthansa took delivery of the first Airbus A320 equipped with sharklets. The 2.4-metre-tall wingtip extensions will further improve fuel efficiency during flight operations. Fuel savings of between 1 and 4 per cent can be achieved, depending on the length of the route. That reduces the impact on the environment and also saves costs.

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/themen ... klets.html

analysis indicates that the retrofit would provide the same aerodynamic benefits and fuel-burn reduction - around 4% on long sectors - as achieved with new-build sharklet-equipped A320s.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... it-381239/
Feel free to add me to your MSN!
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

imiakhtar wrote:That source is incorrect.
Nothing in your post says so, rather substantiates what has been quoted my me.
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

TAILWIND wrote:
imiakhtar wrote:That source is incorrect.
Nothing in your post says so, rather substantiates what has been quoted my me.
Upto 3.5% fuel saving on long sectors according to your source rather than 4% lower fuel burn according to my source.

That is a .5% difference is it not?

Quite significant over 3500-4000 flight hours an A320 flies per year.
Feel free to add me to your MSN!