Which is the Ideal Air Craft for PIA...

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Omairi7
Registered Member

Which is the Ideal Air Craft for PIA...

Post by Omairi7 »

As a aviation fan and love for PIA i was thinking why we have not received new 5 77W frames so far and which is the ideal aircraft for PIA longhaul?
(Sorry if already discussed as i am new to this forum)
EK, EY, SV, PK, AIR BLUE, EASY JET, AA, TG, MH, FLY BE, VUELING, SAS, SWISS, LH, BA, AIR BERLIN, RYAN AIR, GERMAN WINGS, JET BLUE, U.A, QATAR , AZAL ...
GEnx
Registered Member

Re: Which is the Ideal Air Craft for PIA...

Post by GEnx »

Well. My personal view is that B777s are not ideal for PIA at all. Although, they are without any dought one of the best money makers. B777s are ideal for EK as they have a huge network of long haul and ultra long haul routes. Plus they, alongwith most of the airlines are using B777s in 10-abreast configuration. Which increases revenues and lowers seat-mile operating costs. Another advantage of B777s is its extra freight capacity in its cargo hold which is necessary on long haul routes to add to revenues, otherwise you are a flying fuel tanker. EK has good cargo loads too. So, they can use their B777s upto their potential. But, in case of PIA, things are opposite.
Neither they have such a large long haul network, nor good loads to support daily flights schedule. So, these 777s are used on short routes which wastes its potential.
I think instead of increasing the number of 777s, PIA should replace them with some other aircrafts, which are really suitable for PIA's case.
These should be 250 seat aircrafts in 2-class layout.
In this category, B787 and A330 are available.
B787 is no dought the best of them. Even better than A330neo. But, estimates have shown the advantage of B787 over A330neo is negligible on routes upto 4000nm. And the advantage rises as route length increases. If PIA goes for B787s, it would be happening same as with B777s that the aircraft's utilization will be below its potential. As PIA's aircraft will not be used most of the time on these long haul routes, it would be ideal for PIA to go for A330neos as they are very cheap as compared to 787s.
My idea is that PIA should go for A320ceos and A330ceos right now. And in future(6-7 years later), they can easily shift to neos of both of these types. The transition costs will be minimum too, as both aircraft have common type rating and for PIA, it will be the most ideal combination.
In airline business, only those aircrafts are ideal for any airline, which are suitable for its business case. A380 may not be good for many airlines in the world, but its so pivotal for EK that it is getting nearly half of these in the world. So PIA should consider before ordering new aircrafts, that which aircraft is ideal for PIA's case.
Omairi7
Registered Member

Post by Omairi7 »

Thankyou for your reply and great thoughts,
Appreciated.
I remember once i sent an email to PIA high officials about changing and upgrading fleet and at that time Boeing 767-300ER with winglets was the ideal option in 2 class configuration and fly upto 12 hrs. Idealy suited for European Routes especially rotations between birmingham and london flights from Islamabad. But now new varient like Boeing 787 on which our neighbours Air India Heavily invested and fly almost daily to major European as well as Far East countries. They also fly non stop to Sydney.
My question is why we are always thinking and wasting the time on planning but never apply or plan to buy these new aircrafts , atleast inducting 2 aircrafts a year is sufficient to operate with a fleet of almost 6.
I read somewhere that we have delayed the deliveries of new Boeing 77W and looking for used leased aircrafts which is ok but not the solution of problem. Solution is to buy or long term leased the planes which is idealy fit for our passengers comfort zone as well as routing too.
EK, EY, SV, PK, AIR BLUE, EASY JET, AA, TG, MH, FLY BE, VUELING, SAS, SWISS, LH, BA, AIR BERLIN, RYAN AIR, GERMAN WINGS, JET BLUE, U.A, QATAR , AZAL ...
Rana
Registered Member

Post by Rana »

These 77w and A330 for long international routs . Witch plane for domestic routs for 1 to 2 h flights?
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

.... EK used thier 777 fleet on Ultra short haul routes as well.
Omairi7
Registered Member

Post by Omairi7 »

For Smaller routes we are well served with leased stuff like B738 and A320 which is idealy suited for small as well as medium range like Saudia , Uae, Kuwait etc....
Regading 77W,,, in my opinion we never used 77W according to the cabaility. 77W is Capable and most reliable varient in the market and can perform all types of long hauls till to date....